• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Westerns (Silver Age)
7 7

2,225 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, mikeyc67 said:

Cents only Steve sorry

No worries - it will be a cents cover price though (if you didn't already know) so always worth a double check (thumbsu

On 9/19/2020 at 6:40 PM, Get Marwood & I said:
On 9/19/2020 at 5:28 PM, Garystar said:

This is the stamp on Rawhide #10. I can’t make it out even in hand or under a light (also tried a black light).

FA70FB82-D076-4F9D-83F2-1344E75362A5.thumb.jpeg.243c035180ec2fd11b673d97b0b1c7b8.jpeg

Looks a bit like a variation of a 9d Miller stamp actually (and they did do westerns):

91542495_1959.04Spooky30LMStampcrop.jpg.a7a69abf10c402276339f895c6f2084e.jpg139252545_1963.02Wendy16LMStampcrop.jpg.99e8ef4ebd06e81d381dca4647c3b82a.jpg

Make more sense to be a UK stamp, a reduction from 10 cents to 9 cents wouldn't be much of a reduction. 1956 so that would be too early for official distribution?

53 minutes ago, Garystar said:

Make more sense to be a UK stamp, a reduction from 10 cents to 9 cents wouldn't be much of a reduction. 1956 so that would be too early for official distribution?

Official, yes, but as some of us discussed in my UK distribution thread there's no way of knowing when books like these (the pre-1959 outliers as I call them) were stamped and distributed, especially when the stamp is non-distributor specific. More likely that the book came over unofficially around the time of publication or that it found it's way over in an 'official' import batch several years after it's cover date. We can build up cases to support dates where books are systematically stamped, and by known distributors, but books like your Rawhide Kid #10 don't fit any pattern so they're a shot in the dark (an accurate one though, being the Kid). Damn cool book though. 

5 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Is it just me or does Kirby show a lot of his heroes (both in his westerns and his war comics) firing straight down at the ground?  I find myself struggling to imagine exactly what they think they're shooting at.

Rats Lou. He didn't like rats. Especially doity ones.

And birds, evidently.

1400442575_GunsmokeWestern6510cLM-CJul61.thumb.jpg.a7d9471aee9a9c764dcca69925809e8c.jpg

3 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Is it just me or does Kirby show a lot of his heroes (both in his westerns and his war comics) firing straight down at the ground?  I find myself struggling to imagine exactly what they think they're shooting at.

Safety first, Lou. Can’t have a comic book hero shooting at anyone!

The shooting thing got so much worse beyond the early 60s, too. Fury and the Howlers would execute missions in Germany and never spill a drop of blood. (Gabe would incapacitate the enemy via bugle toot). Kids Rawhide, Colt and Two-Gun simply shot the guns out of opponents’ hands. 
As lame as that was, it was still better than the endless parade of 90s guys; bristling with guns and edged weapons- never being lethal.

5 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

The shooting thing got so much worse beyond the early 60s, too. Fury and the Howlers would execute missions in Germany and never spill a drop of blood. (Gabe would incapacitate the enemy via bugle toot). Kids Rawhide, Colt and Two-Gun simply shot the guns out of opponents’ hands. 
As lame as that was, it was still better than the endless parade of 90s guys; bristling with guns and edged weapons- never being lethal.

Oh, I get it and I completely agree.

So many of the TV "action shows" I watched as a kid were, in hindsight, ridiculous.  Shows like the Dukes of Hazzard or Knight Rider carefully avoided gunplay most of the time, unless characters were able to dodge and block bullets with their cars.  But then you get a show like the A-Team where the bad guys were typically armed with machine guns, and every shot landed 6 inches from the heroes' feet.  Then the good guys would take them out with a cabbage launcher (no, I am not making that up).

As for the insane escalation of guns, blades, and other weaponry in the 90s, I couldn't agree more.  Wolverine really works for me as a character.  Most of the rest, not so much.  I despise the Punisher and frankly have always been a little wary of anyone who is a super-fan of that character.

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

The A Team was laughable in regard to the gunplay. If experience tells you you can’t effectively use a mini-14, after a while you wouldn’t bother lugging one around. Same for the 90s blade boys:  no one would strap a sword to themselves every day if they never used it!

12 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Marvel “grey tone” cover? 

Dale Roberts has a section on his site for Grey Tones.

As expected, predominately DCs, but he has some "kinda Marvels" with a couple of Atlas Journey Into Mysterys and a Mystery Tales 43 (he is calling a Strange Tales 116 a "partial wash tone" cover)

Dale's Grey Tone section:

https://www.dalerobertscomics.com/c/grey-tone-covers

2 hours ago, DanCooper said:

Dale Roberts has a section on his site for Grey Tones.

As expected, predominately DCs, but he has some "kinda Marvels" with a couple of Atlas Journey Into Mysterys and a Mystery Tales 43 (he is calling a Strange Tales 116 a "partial wash tone" cover)

Dale's Grey Tone section:

https://www.dalerobertscomics.com/c/grey-tone-covers

A bit of a stretch.  Not seeing it AT ALL on Strange Tales #116.

7 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

A bit of a stretch.  Not seeing it AT ALL on Strange Tales #116.

I know what you mean. The Thing does look like he's the partial wash - compare him to a random FF though (45) and I'm not sure hm

thing.PNG.17d7e84121889065addc698371804449.PNG  45.thumb.jpg.341516c2c7a5f591e16f764e861bbc02.jpg

50 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I know what you mean. The Thing does look like he's the partial wash - compare him to a random FF though (45) and I'm not sure hm

thing.PNG.17d7e84121889065addc698371804449.PNG  45.thumb.jpg.341516c2c7a5f591e16f764e861bbc02.jpg

OK, thanks.  I was focusing on the gray background (the buildings in particular) and thinking I've seen a couple dozen Marvel covers with backgrounds like that but wouldn't call any of them "grey tone" or "wash tone."

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2009 at 8:27 AM, buttock said:

I've seen a couple of RK 22s pass through the boards within the last year or so. I sold one to bcc - it may be worth a PM. It was lower grade.

Kid Colt 100 & 107 are the only ones I've seen any great demand for.

And just because I can... :cloud9:

80455.jpg.d9ae8bb5655067e50d73398e1d2c3980.jpg

May be eligible for inclusion in "The Most Ridiculous Comics of All Time" thread...