• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Westerns (Silver Age)
7 7

2,225 posts in this topic

Got my Foreign Western grail today. I have been searching a couple yrs for a copy offering bounties to various collectors and resellers to no avail after finding out that it existed in Mexico.  I thought I knew of 3 copies including this one, but I found out today this copy exchanged hands an that leaves 2 as the person who sold a copy yrs ago and I thought was copy #3 is the same copy. While I am sure more exist, at this point 2 are known. Both from collectors in Mexico and here in the US.  I present Rawhide Kid 17 La Prensa Mexican edition. On a cool note this has the same release month as in the US.

20210526_145340.jpg

Edited by BrianR

4 hours ago, BrianR said:

Got my Foreign Western grail today. I have been searching a couple yrs for a copy offering bounties to various collectors and resellers to no avail after finding out that it existed in Mexico.  I thought I knew of 3 copies including this one, but I found out today this copy exchanged hands an that leaves 2 as the person who sold a copy yrs ago and I thought was copy #3 is the same copy. While I am sure more exist, at this point 2 are known. Both from collectors in Mexico and here in the US.  I present Rawhide Kid 17 La Prensa Mexican edition. On a cool note this has the same release month as in the US.

20210526_145340.jpg

That's a cool looking book Brian, well done. Did you receive it slabbed? Interesting that it has the same date as the US original on the slab label - I wonder if the indicia does say August 1960? And if it does, I wonder if that is accurate to Mexico and not just a straight / literal translation of the US original, if that makes sense?

Here's my tatty old UK Price Variant - no indicia details at all!

280594301_RawhideKid179dLMAug60.thumb.jpg.675b430e69377061da5d10cceacab389.jpg

4 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

That's a cool looking book Brian, well done. Did you receive it slabbed? Interesting that it has the same date as the US original on the slab label - I wonder if the indicia does say August 1960? And if it does, I wonder if that is accurate to Mexico and not just a straight / literal translation of the US original, if that makes sense?

that UK copy is. nice. I am still missing it

4 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I received it slabbed. There are a others with the same dates as well. Speaking to another collector specializing in La Prensa for 10+ yrs. for example TTA 27 was released the same month as well.  Prior to FF 1 there wasn't a non-compete so this happened often and from FF 1 on there was a several month spread.

Edited by BrianR

3 hours ago, BrianR said:

that UK copy is. nice. I am still missing it

Very hard to find Brian, that one.

Do you know about the different US font versions of it too?

6.PNG.fd53bf1373e9dcc9f050d4d21ba2137d.png.8ce2dcfb668f852e2c7a8b16480df74a.png

Something else to look for if not :insane:

I received it slabbed. There are a others with the same dates as well. Speaking to another collector specializing in La Prensa for 10+ yrs. for example TTA 27 was released the same month as well.  Prior to FF 1 there wasn't a non-compete so this happened often and from FF 1 on there was a several month spread.

Did you spot the alternate leg position, and the additional damsel?

1966154176_rhk(2).jpg.a7adb3b7bd79a00ba1424b3a04c29944.jpg 503083600_RawhideKid17Bold10c(2).jpg.64ae5c62dd7202f6d4a67ebc17de17c1.jpg

I wonder who drew her......?

If you look closely at the building details where the woman was on the US you can make out where the lines stopped at the woman and leg and continued on after the editorial change

6 minutes ago, BrianR said:

Marvel would send out the cover art prior to editorial changes. JIM 83 is the version with more lava men FF1 as more figures, etc..  This cover is likely Kirby's original prior the it being cleaned up

9 minutes ago, BrianR said:

I knew about two of the font changes. I need to check which I have.  Love to know the story why it was changed 3 times.

No one has come forward with an answer yet Brian, but I do believe the reason they exist is due to the arrival of the UK priced copies - more here if you're interested: