• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Auctions
2 2

603 posts in this topic

By the comments made I now see/understand where there could be some down-side...primarily the scenario that the whole thread is hijacked/cluttered with auctions, especially for single books (like my post)...

I will send a PM to the mods asking if I should pull it and if they say yes I will.

I think having a dedicated section is a GREAT IDEA!

And then just settle on the rules...i.e., time durations, no reserves, buy-it-nows, etc.

A seperate section would be the most logical. Allow each seller no more then 2 auctions at one time. Have possible buyers use the :takeit: with the highest bid, sure the thread could be a few pages but you only need to look at the last one. Make no reserves or BIN's and now there is just the possibility of shills. Which would be extremely dissapointing.

It's a little hard to justify imposing post limits and requesting Arch set up a separate auction board when nobody is running auctions in the 1st place. Auctions could be fun and I would like to see someone try to run some, but until they become a huge hit and everyone wants to sell their stuff that way, no new guidelines or sub-forums are needed. (shrug)

It's like when Arch revised the guidelines to allow those dreaded dealers to post here...despite the prognostications that "they" would take over the forum, nothing happened. :eek:

I don't see anything wrong with an auction as long as there is a starting price and an end time. i don't think it matters what the starting price is either. If it is to high, no one bids, and the thread doesn't get bumped. A seperate section probably wouldn't be a bad idea just because it would make it easier for potential bidders to find and search the auction style listings.

Concerns about the listings and bumps taking up front page realestate are understandable, but I don't see it being any worse than the constant bumping of closed or dead threads for chit chat or a :applause: or one of these (worship) .

Why do you need an end time? hm

Actually should be a time limit, or sellers can just let it run till it finally meets a price they want. But that doesn't really bother me either.

I never really understood why people care how many or what forums there are. If it doesn't interest you, then don't click on it. Seems easy enough to me.

Edited by MCMiles

To eliminate sniping at the last second, we run VCC auctions with the rule that any last minute bids extend the auction by a set period of time. (This also maximizes the amount for charity/the seller.)

because someone will want to take possession of that book...

Andy

When the seller accepts a price, and payment is made, possession is transferred - not a difficult concept. :grin:

The real problem is that the auction concept flies in the face of the Forum Marketplace guidelines.

Why do you need an end time? hm

Actually should be a time limit, or sellers can just let it run till it finally meets a price they want. But that doesn't really bother me either.

I never really understood why people care how many or what forums there are. If it doesn't interest you, then don't click on it. Seems easy enough to me.

Totally agree, now that the Forum has evolved into a Zoo. :grin:

To eliminate sniping at the last second, we run VCC auctions with the rule that any last minute bids extend the auction by a set period of time. (This also maximizes the amount for charity/the seller.)

That's how the old Yahoo Auctions used to work (and we know what happened to them).

That's how the old Yahoo Auctions used to work (and we know what happened to them).

Yahoo failed because eBay had a first mover advantage. Where eBay had NOT solidified its hold, Yahoo more than held its own (Japan). eBay actually pulled out of Japan in 2002.

Yahoo failed because eBay had a first mover advantage. Where eBay had NOT solidified its hold, Yahoo more than held its own (Japan). eBay actually pulled out of Japan in 2002.

konichiwa ebay person_without_enough_empathyez

私をの丘の住人食べなさい

私をの丘の住人食べなさい

Uh.. something was lost in translation... :insane:

In English (from Babblefish) Japanese to English

Hill eat the resident of my

Chinese to English is even better...

Private を の Qiu の is occupied by the human to eat べ な さ い

Edited by sckao

I thought we only allowed auctions for charity.

Who's the doofus who screwing up the deal now? doh!

So-Called Doofus Identified...

See...this is like some ancient "grandfather" law that no one knows or remembers why it's so and it's just the way it is...not written down anywhere, just supposedly/apparently part of some collective consciousness established long ago...

Go to the 10 rules/regs.

The only applicable rule/reg is #5. If you've ever taken Logic 101, can easily be construed that if you post with a offer price that you will sell for, with no reserve or other caveats, you meet the rules.

Having said that, what is the dastardly deed being perpetrated??? Why the vitriol??? I'm trying to figure it out...what is the freaking problem??? Are not we supposed to be having FUN???

Signed

Consternated