• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Auctions
2 2

603 posts in this topic

and have bids via PM only.

Oh yeah, that's a *great* idea - no chance of price manipulation there. lol

And just for the record, I am not against auctions, I am simply against letting profit-mongering auctioneers use the current Marketplace as their cheap EBay haunt.

If you want auctions, get Arch to create a new Comic Auctions forum so that the current environment will not be disrupted.

It would be transparent. You'd list the bid amount with the bidder in the open for everyone to see.

And just for the record, I am not against auctions, I am simply against letting profit-mongering auctioneers use the current Marketplace as their cheap EBay haunt.

Who are you referring to? I'm the only one who's suggested running a test.

Nick, you're a profit-mongering auctioneer??? :o

I had no idea.

Everything is a conspiracy Nicky. Where you been? (shrug)

If you want auctions, get Arch to create a new Comic Auctions forum so that the current environment will not be disrupted.

Actually guys, this probably wouldn't be a bad idea. I was just starting to think the same thing when I came across JC's post. I do think it'd be worthwhile to give it a beta test first, just to see if making a subforum would be worthwhile. :shrug:

Additionally, we'd also need to come up with one or two members to act as the mods for it just like Donut and Skao (sp?) mod the VCC subforum. After all, if it's a member driven request, we ought to be the ones to take responsibility for monitoring it. Another :shrug: :grin:

I am referring to those who would surely abuse the privilege of having a "free EBay" to hawk their auction-style wares.

I am referring to those who would surely abuse the privilege of having a "free EBay" to hawk their auction-style wares.

(thumbs u Well said Joe. It's not the "board elite" that will be the problem. It's the 2000+ new members that will have the same rights to post auctions that will be the problem.

(thumbs u Well said Joe. It's not the "board elite" that will be the problem. It's the 2000+ new members that will have the same rights to post auctions that will be the problem.

OK...so don't let them? (shrug)

Maybe this could be a sub-forum and posting rights are limited?

i say let someone try it and see what happens.

(thumbs u

I don't think people realize how simple and straightforward this is going to be. If it becomes a problem, then we can deal with it, but all this chicken-little conjecture about the end of the forums as we know them is simply not going to come to pass.

The problem, and it has always been the problem, is there is no way to enforce some type of punishment for individuals who do not follow the rules. I know we have the probation thread, but big whoop. :juggle:

i say let someone try it and see what happens.

(thumbs u

I don't think people realize how simple and straightforward this is going to be. If it becomes a problem, then we can deal with it, but all this chicken-little conjecture about the end of the forums as we know them is simply not going to come to pass.

I'd like to see it given a shot. (thumbs u

I thought we had an auction recently to help Matt (Shiverbones) raise enough money for his surgery? :shrug:

Yeah, those "charity/help out a board member with expenses/etc." ones fly under the radar, and I remember Arch making a similar comment regarding charity auctions when someone (Comicwiz?) asked him about it.

But that doesn't mean it's cool for personal gain, or that the board and CGC won't come down hard on profit-mongering auctioneers who simply want to transform this into EBay.

profit-mongering auctioneers > breadstick-armed fanboys