• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Auctions
2 2

603 posts in this topic

I've been here for years and have never seen that happen. You might get 4-5 people quoting the same book in a Foolkiller thread but that's about it. The occasional fight happens when a seller doesn't set clear guidelines in a sales thread. One book per post has been the norm during my entire 9 year history here, and like Robert said, it is preferred by most people and greatly simplifies the process.

I've been here for years and have never seen that happen. You might get 4-5 people quoting the same book in a Foolkiller thread but that's about it. The occasional fight happens when a seller doesn't set clear guidelines in a sales thread. One book per post has been the norm during my entire 9 year history here, and like Robert said, it is preferred by most people and greatly simplifies the process.

What Robert and said..

And To be honest I avoid the threads that list all their books for sale then post all of the pics in the next post. Then you have to scroll up and down to see what the price is for each. As a buyer its annoying. Same with trying to load a post which has 50 comics and their pictures in one post. Have you tried doing that on your phone or a slow computer? My experience on here also is that buyers like 1 or 2 book per post format. Heck, the one post format would sure be easier, I probably would have been done my sales thread months ago lol. But most of us try to do what buyers like, based on feedback we receive. I remember when I first started selling and I posted enormous pictures on here thinking that`s what people wanted. But people said it was taking too long to download so I changed to what they wanted.

i'm obviously in favor of the 'all books in one spot' method. i just think it's so much neater. i started a thread Monday, everything was paid for and shipped by Wed. to each his own.

I'm not against them...

But not possible when you have thousands of books for sale at one time.

And a complicating factor of a 3 year old interrupting you every few minutes

Edited by comicnut

i'm obviously in favor of the 'all books in one spot' method. i just think it's so much neater. i started a thread Monday, everything was paid for and shipped by Wed. to each his own.

Yes, but you use the VCC style thumbnail format, and yes I do enjoy it and as you know it doesn't discourage me from buying your books, which are always lovely btw. Technically, however, that is very different from the multiple large size scans in the same post method.

Personally I don't find any of these methods either a right/wrong, they are only preferences one can adopt or not. I have bought books from all these different kinds of threads, I just personally find as a buyer the one book per post thread faster vis a vis making decisions. On a completely irrational level, I also like the fast paced theads where you don't know what is coming next, but you have to think fast. Yes that is irrational I realize, but it is also part of the reason I like the one book per post format. 2c

Actually, I prefer the one book per post format, as well. I was wondering about this by the time of my second or third sales thread, so I took an informal poll in the General Discussion thread...as others have stated, the overwhelming majority advised one book per post...so, I've been going that route ever since.

SEPARATE AUCTION SUB-FORUM :D

Just to follow up, I did post a message in the Moderation discussion thread, here:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8188283&fpart=2

In the hopes of moving these discussions closer to the practical stage of making policy.

If there is a sufficient consensus to try to make this change, feedback and guidance for how to move forward are necessary.

Speaking for myself, I do not know how the community in the past has got these kind of changes done.

You guys may have already discussed this, but I could see a situation where there is an expensive item for auction that is about to end at a price a fraction of it's value. The seller could easily say it was sold by BIN price via PM to prevent the loss of money. Should all auctions have to be a public :takeit: ?

while your scenario could happen (and probably will) it might be difficult to enforce and of course, it creates more work for the mods. Just like Poughkeepsie used to have a law that you could not "pick your feet" (may still for all I know), how would you be able to police it?

yes, once the person puts the book back up on the boards, everyone would know and then action could be taken by the board, but there will of course be the excuse "I never got paid"

I do wish the powers that be would create an auctions forum, like yesterday, but patience is indeed, a virtue

You guys may have already discussed this, but I could see a situation where there is an expensive item for auction that is about to end at a price a fraction of it's value. The seller could easily say it was sold by BIN price via PM to prevent the loss of money. Should all auctions have to be a public :takeit: ?

I had posted much earlier and others as well that there should be no BINs and all bids public with no editing. No BINs or reserves would make this moot.

I had posted much earlier and others as well that there should be no BINs and all bids public with no editing. No BINs or reserves would make this moot.

I agree completely. Should "no reserves" be broadened to mandate all auctions to start (whatever the bid increments) at $1.00? That would make things fairly straightforward, yes?

Should "no reserves" be broadened to mandate all auctions to start (whatever the bid increments) at $1.00? That would make things fairly straightforward, yes?

No. I should be able to choose my own starting price, no matter what.

-slym

Should "no reserves" be broadened to mandate all auctions to start (whatever the bid increments) at $1.00? That would make things fairly straightforward, yes?

-slym

You can...on eBay.

-slym

You can...on eBay.

Bingo

$1 start should be mandatory

Don't like the risk, don't post an auction here. 2c

-slym

You can...on eBay.

Bingo

$1 start should be mandatory

Don't like the risk, don't post an auction here. 2c

Not sure it is fair to mandate pricing on anything...

I am with Slym, starting price should be at the seller's discretion. If it is too high, no one bids. (shrug) Purchases go both ways.

No disrespect to anyone, but this site doesn't solely exist to give people deals on comics. I hate the newbie first post sales and the ridiculous asking prices as well, but that is part of being an American - capitalism! (thumbs u