• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Auctions
2 2

603 posts in this topic

I'm sorry for being so lazy, but could someone sum up what is wrong with the way we have been conducting board sales and what benefit would be derived by offering an auction style format?

I don't have any problem with running auctions. I just think that many of the board sellers are seeing $$$ in their eyes without really thinking through what the problems could be.

Sorry?

You think this is going to be giving CLink a run for their money? :screwy:

The way I would see it is it's an opportunity to shift stuff for much less than you would list it here for...and potentially taking a bath...with the occasional 'hot' book making you a bit of your losses back.

Oh, and it might actually be a bit of fun...although I think rule 6 (a.2) does suggest we keep that sort of thing to an absolute minimum. meh

Sure, that's exactly what I was saying. Obviously I was comparing the CGC Board sales, where books regularly go for 40% to 50% of guide, to CLInk. Glad you made the connection. :screwy:

Link to 60% off guide sales thread, please.

Here you go!

I'm sorry for being so lazy, but could someone sum up what is wrong with the way we have been conducting board sales and what benefit would be derived by offering an auction style format?

I had only one other thing in mind other than selling the book of course...it's called having some FUN! (shrug)

Edited by trmoore54

I had only one other thing in mind other than selling the book of course...it's called having some FUN! (shrug)

Then I think we should arm wrestle for comics. :sumo:

Who is the wimpiest board member who would still have some sweet books that I could arm wrestle them for? hm

Oh yeah, and on a more serious note, if the consensus is to try an auction style format, why not give it a try in the next VCC?

There's nothing wrong with the way we have been conducting board sales, just as there's nothing wrong with running an auction (which is why auctions aren't even mentioned in the guidelines). Many of the the biggest books in our hobby are sold these days via auctions, ebay auctions are much more popular than ebay store listings, collector-to-collector auctions on the internet were popular before ebay, so the format is well-known, is an accepted format in our hobby, and is just another option for sellers to use, and could be fun! (thumbs u

There's nothing inherently wrong with what we've been doing...it works wonderfully well most of the time...but this can help both buyers and sellers.

A seller lists a book at a price with a grade. Maybe he's over-egged the grade. Maybe he's a bit out of touch with pricing.

There's a buyer who wouldn't mind the book, doesn't want to be seen to 'lowball', but doesn't agree with the grade or doesn't want to pay quite so much.

Now, if the book doesn't shift at the fixed price, if the seller wants to move it on regardless, he lets the market determine its worth/condition by running it 'auction style'.

And the potential buyer gets the chance to pay what it's worth to him.

Then I think we should arm wrestle for comics. :sumo:

Who is the wimpiest board member who would still have some sweet books that I could arm wrestle them for? hm

Oh yeah, and on a more serious note, if the consensus is to try an auction style format, why not give it a try in the next VCC?

One post per seller in the 'hall' with no opportunity to reply. :gossip:

Unless you used the VCC 'foyer'? (shrug)

There's nothing inherently wrong with what we've been doing...it works wonderfully well most of the time...but this can help both buyers and sellers.

A seller lists a book at a price with a grade. Maybe he's over-egged the grade. Maybe he's a bit out of touch with pricing.

There's a buyer who wouldn't mind the book, doesn't want to be seen to 'lowball', but doesn't agree with the grade or doesn't want to pay quite so much.

Now, if the book doesn't shift at the fixed price, if the seller wants to move it on regardless, he lets the market determine its worth/condition by running it 'auction style'.

And the potential buyer gets the chance to pay what it's worth to him.

Thanks Dr. Banner and FT for the summary.

If the seller states in their sales thread that they are happy to entertain offers, doesn't that cover it? I don't have a problem sending a pm with a cheap arse offer. :insane: sometimes they even work!

I'm wondering about the work involved for the web admin and the bandwidth used for something like that as well, whether that would be an issue or not.

You might not find too many bids on lower grade books, while on Ebay, there usually ARE bids (at least if you are somewhat well known), but the fees on Ebay, are currently, so silly, that it might not make a difference if you get less bids here.

I'd try it, don't have time now (and don't have as many low grade books as I used to) but I'd really rather sell a book for less than I paid, here, than on Ebay, where the chances are greater they would go to a stranger.

I'm lucky, I have some consistent bidders on Ebay, so most of the time, the books that wind up at 99 cents, go to someone I like...but I suppose we would find the same things here.

I think you are in more danger on higher priced items, UNLESS they are a key, or they are being auctioned for charity, and you have the sympathy factor.

Bumping threads is a problem, because I agree with Vince, it's going to be tough to do and unless you update more than 2 times a day, you are going to have some people who are confused. I think a separate forum, or even using the VCC thread, might be fun...and I agree, if it's NOT fun, why bother...Then again for me, lol...if I had to pay my mortgage with my comic money, I'd be homeless;)

I have a question regarding increments.

Let's say Roy is auctioning a high grade run of Cherry comics in Qualified NM (unidentified stickiness).

Someone has a bid in of 30.00. I want to bid but won't be around when the auction ends at midnight since I will probably be drunk and passed out.

So I post a bid of 100.00 hoping that will be enough to win it. Is that the new high bid for the comic, or does the seller maintain some sort of incremental deal, ala Ebay. In which case, if noone else bids I would get the sticky books for 35.00 versus 100.00

But if the seller does increments...well, everhyone has already seen my 100.00 post so there won't be any further bids unless someone wants to go over a hundred.

Do you understand the words coming out of my mouth???

:insane:

Let's say Roy is auctioning a high grade run of Cherry comics in Qualified NM (unidentified stickiness).

Someone has a bid in of 30.00. I want to bid but won't be around when the auction ends at midnight since I will probably be drunk and passed out.

So I post a bid of 100.00 hoping that will be enough to win it. Is that the new high bid for the comic, or does the seller maintain some sort of incremental deal, ala Ebay. In which case, if noone else bids I would get the sticky books for 35.00 versus 100.00

But if the seller does increments...well, everhyone has already seen my 100.00 post so there won't be any further bids unless someone wants to go over a hundred.

Yes and the answer is, if you want to BID, you need to stop drinking;) :baiting:

Yes and the answer is, if you want to BID, you need to stop drinking;) :baiting:

In that case, I am completely against the auction format!!!! :sumo:

Does everyone know what a Kvetch is? :baiting:

Does everyone know what a Kvetch is? :baiting:

Does anyone need to know that the sticky Cherry Comics I'm selling originally came from John's Saturday night sale?

Smoke break my arse....

R.

You bring up some good points...the way I did (am doing) mine is with no increments...previous bid was $50.12 and now someone has "raised the bar" to $80...so the current bid is $80 (not $50.62 for example)...this accomplishes something and has some value though...is what the bidder/buyer is currently willing to fork over and scares off everyone else who doesn't want to bid at least $80.01 for the book...in theory, the price will be what the market will bear... :wishluck:

But establishing increments I think is valid and a good idea as well...a choice...

Edited by trmoore54

If I were to do it, it would be like ebay...there would be increments, and the new high bid would be $35.00. Others would not necessarily see your $100.00 bid because I would allow bids via PM, or posts in the thread (I personally would probably identify the the high bidder in the next update, but I suppose some bidders might wish to remain anonymous). Some auction houses do use the "max bid" format, so if the seller decided to set up their auction under that scenario, your bid would be $100.00.

However, with the new-once-twice-sold format, the auction wouldn't end until your $35.00 bid held up through 2 or 3 successive updates. I see more problems with a firm end time, but of course it's up to the seller to decide how to sell their books.

Its a good idea but as John pointed out, the only issue for some would be time. I guess it would be no different when you forget to bid or are not near a computer when an auction is ending hm but thats what snipes are for.