• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Auctions
2 2

603 posts in this topic

I have a question regarding increments.

Let's say Roy is auctioning a high grade run of Cherry comics in Qualified NM (unidentified stickiness).

Someone has a bid in of 30.00. I want to bid but won't be around when the auction ends at midnight since I will probably be drunk and passed out.

So I post a bid of 100.00 hoping that will be enough to win it. Is that the new high bid for the comic, or does the seller maintain some sort of incremental deal, ala Ebay. In which case, if noone else bids I would get the sticky books for 35.00 versus 100.00

But if the seller does increments...well, everhyone has already seen my 100.00 post so there won't be any further bids unless someone wants to go over a hundred.

Do you understand the words coming out of my mouth???

:insane:

Yes and the answer is, if you want to BID, you need to stop drinking;) :baiting:

In that case, I am completely against the auction format!!!! :sumo:

Does everyone know what a Kvetch is? :baiting:

Does anyone need to know that the sticky Cherry Comics I'm selling originally came from John's Saturday night sale?

Smoke break my arse....

R.

If they were once mine, then I want free shipping! :sumo:

And a roll of paper towels.

I have a question regarding increments.

Let's say Roy is auctioning a high grade run of Cherry comics in Qualified NM (unidentified stickiness).

Someone has a bid in of 30.00. I want to bid but won't be around when the auction ends at midnight since I will probably be drunk and passed out.

So I post a bid of 100.00 hoping that will be enough to win it. Is that the new high bid for the comic, or does the seller maintain some sort of incremental deal, ala Ebay. In which case, if noone else bids I would get the sticky books for 35.00 versus 100.00

But if the seller does increments...well, everhyone has already seen my 100.00 post so there won't be any further bids unless someone wants to go over a hundred.

Do you understand the words coming out of my mouth???

:insane:

Yes and the answer is, if you want to BID, you need to stop drinking;) :baiting:

In that case, I am completely against the auction format!!!! :sumo:

Does everyone know what a Kvetch is? :baiting:

Does anyone need to know that the sticky Cherry Comics I'm selling originally came from John's Saturday night sale?

Smoke break my arse....

R.

If they were once mine, then I want free shipping! :sumo:

And a roll of paper towels.

This is a reason for slabbing books I never considered. hm Easy to clean surface. :sick:

It's a great idea and though we want to keep problems to a minimum I think the positive people in this place heavily out weigh the negative ones.

doh!doh!doh!

I just love how anyone who a) requests an Comic Auction sub-forum or b) might have some issues with turning the forums into EBay... is automatically categorized as NEGATIVE!! :screwy:

Don't you ever think anything through, weighing the pros and cons before you do it, or are you constantly running headlong into any random idea that pops into your head?

I would allow bids via PM, or posts in the thread (I personally would probably identify the the high bidder in the next update, but I suppose some bidders might wish to remain anonymous).

Oh boy, Private Auctions with hidden bids, anonymous bidders and the potential for rampant shiling - hey it is just like EBay.

It's a great idea and though we want to keep problems to a minimum I think the positive people in this place heavily out weigh the negative ones.

doh!doh!doh!

I just love how anyone who a) requests an Comic Auction sub-forum or b) might have some issues with turning the forums into EBay... is automatically categorized as NEGATIVE!! :screwy:

Don't you ever think anything through, weighing the pros and cons before you do it, or are you constantly running headlong into any random idea that pops into your head?

Pizz off JC and take that brick off your shoulder. I meant (as most probably understood) that there are negative people here who will abuse the system and try to make this place resemble Feebay but the pros still outway the cons.

doh!doh!doh!

Pizz off JC and take that brick off your shoulder. I meant (as most probably understood) that there are negative people here who will abuse the system and try to make this place resemble Feebay but the pros still outway the cons.

Isn't it funny how some of the most outspoken are the ones who sell and buy the least, if at all?

I meant (as most probably understood) that there are negative people here who will abuse the system and try to make this place resemble Feebay but the pros still outway the cons.

It might have been what you intended, but it's not what you said. (shrug)

When you call people "positive" and "negative" you are referring to attitude and outlook, not their ethics. You meant something along the lines of "bad apples" right?

Isn't it funny how some of the most outspoken are the ones who sell and buy the least, if at all?

When a good book I need comes up, I buy - otherwise, I don't need any more dupes clogging up the storage room.

As for selling, why would I? I can buy what I want. (shrug)

Thank you. The same people who argue whether GPA is worth quoting, is pressing resto and how much thread real estate a seller should use....among other things that fail to come to mind right now.

R.

Thank you. The same people who argue whether GPA is worth quoting, is pressing resto and how much thread real estate a seller should use....among other things that fail to come to mind right now.

Yeah, and although this sounds like Jim more than me, it must really irritate funny book collectors to have people with ethics on here. lollol

Like Holy Water on a Vampire.

doh!doh!doh!

I think you might get a better audience response, Vince, if instead of simply jumping up and down on the problems, you also offered potential solutions that could be thrashed out.

I've not said I want to run an 'auction'. I'm not yet convinced it's a good thing.

But me, I'm willing to try to bring together ideas and wrestle with potential problems.

Try it sometime...you might even like it. meh

I would allow bids via PM, or posts in the thread (I personally would probably identify the the high bidder in the next update, but I suppose some bidders might wish to remain anonymous).

Oh boy, Private Auctions with hidden bids, anonymous bidders and the potential for rampant shiling - hey it is just like EBay.

I thought the same thing... I like the way the forums are now, and really dont see the need for the change. Turning this place into E-bay would suck. If you guys do this, I wouldnt allow anything other than public bids. VIA PM's is just shady bizniz. And you cant say, well you are a newb so you cant do the auction style. So the idea of the fixed price is what I have grown to love. I would hate to see this place go sour from shills and such. And im not saying most people here would do that sort of thing, but havent board members been outed in the past for shilling for other people ?

It could be fun to have 1 night a month/week as auction night, but my concerns lay in the cons, and con artist. I guess im kinda torn , the idea sounds fun but JC is making some good points also. IDK just my thoughts.

Vince, if instead of simply jumping up and down on the problems, you also offered potential solutions that could be thrashed out.

I did, several times. Here it is again:

Set up a Comic Auctions sub-forum and try it out.

Yeah, and although this sounds like Jim more than me, it must really irritate funny book collectors to have people with ethics on here. lollol

Like Holy Water on a Vampire.

doh!

I won't even bother responding to that. Hopefully you're not implying that I'm unethical just because I think you are too vocal for your own good.

and have bids via PM only.

Oh yeah, that's a *great* idea - no chance of price manipulation there. lol

And just for the record, I am not against auctions, I am simply against letting profit-mongering auctioneers use the current Marketplace as their cheap EBay haunt.

If you want auctions, get Arch to create a new Comic Auctions forum so that the current environment will not be disrupted.

Actually guys, this probably wouldn't be a bad idea. I was just starting to think the same thing when I came across JC's post. I do think it'd be worthwhile to give it a beta test first, just to see if making a subforum would be worthwhile. :shrug:

Additionally, we'd also need to come up with one or two members to act as the mods for it just like Donut and Skao (sp?) mod the VCC subforum. After all, if it's a member driven request, we ought to be the ones to take responsibility for monitoring it. Another :shrug: :grin:

So... based on the conversation on how the auctions would function, I'm assuming we're all generally on board with the idea of doing an auction subforum?

Sorry, I'm kind slow today. :grin:

So... based on the conversation on how the auctions would function, I'm assuming we're all generally on board with the idea of doing an auction subforum?

I think one of the main concerns is how this could adversely affect the current Marketplace, and by using a sub-forum for Auctions, this would allow a "test run" without the potential of disrupting the popular BIN format we have here.

Combining them is just pure stupidity, and even the staunchest auction advocates should be able to see that.

I think one of the main concerns is how this could adversely affect the current Marketplace, and by using a sub-forum for Auctions, this would allow a "test run" without the potential of disrupting the popular BIN format we have here.

Combining them is just pure stupidity, and even the staunchest auction advocates should be able to see that.

I'm not in disagreement.

I think, however, that before we request a sub-forum, we need to beta test here to iron out the problems...and make sure it's actually worth the effort to sub-divide down again. (shrug)

Do it in the VCC Forum. If it doesn't work, I'll move the thread.

I'm going to stick to my earlier prediction of 500 posts with nothing being accomplished. (thumbs u

No, we're not. If the deluge of auctions that the chicken littles are forecasting come to pass, then yes, a sub-forum would make sense. That's not gonna happen though, so I wouldn't worry about it until it does. (thumbs u