• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Maxx #3 Black - Research
4 4

462 posts in this topic

Greetings Boardies,

After 4 years on the hunt I have acquired a personal grail via auction on the bay from Canada.

This book has been graded 6.5 with White Pages by a competitor grader.

For academic purposes and posterity, this is at least the second Black #1 Artist Proof (AP) I have seen. The other CGC 9.0 is pictured in this thread. I do not know if these are in addition to the 50 copies, or the first two of 50.

Also for reference, I was offering $600 for one of these graded for 4 years and was contacted by zero interested sellers. I was the soul bidder on this auction, bid $1300, but won for the set/base bid of $999. I don't know if it's worth that, but due to the scarcity of opportunities to buy, I decided to go for it.

I regret selling my #1 Blue, Red, and Yellow! I had given up on finding this one!

I had sort of dropped out of graded book collecting about 2 years ago, but the other weekend I was bored, logged in to the bay, and searched for "Maxx Ashcan," and low and behold, there she was after four years.

The seller, Major Comics, in Montreal said it was the first he had ever had in the shop.

The Maxx Ashcan #1 Black AP No Banner.jpg

Wow, what an update to this thread. Another AP. I knew there was more since the back of my previous copy had the AP bleed from being signed and stacked on top of another one. Had I known about the auction I would have bid and I don’t even collect comics anymore. Congratulations!

On 2/5/2020 at 7:18 PM, DiogenesTheDog said:

The CBCS forum shows a #3 yellow numbered "55", which would alter the number produced by our estimate here

https://forum.cbcscomics.com/topic/79/official-maxx-appreciation-thread/

I didn't even know this thread existed. Suppose it should be updated.

There were only 50 blacks made, and 150? yellows....not sure. Anyways, I think you are confusing the two

Red 1 2 3

Blue 1 2 3

Yellow 1 2 3

Black 1 2 3

12 minutes ago, IkewithMike said:

I didn't even know this thread existed. Suppose it should be updated.

There were only 50 blacks made, and 150? yellows....not sure. Anyways, I think you are confusing the two

Red 1 2 3

Blue 1 2 3

Yellow 1 2 3

Black 1 2 3

One note on the black ashcans for #1, there are 50 numbered and then an unknown amount of them labeled “AP.”  I think we’ve seen two or three over the years here. I’ve never seen an AP for any other Maxx ashcan in any color.

Just now, Grails said:

One note on the black ashcans for #1, there are 50 numbered and then an unknown amount of them labeled “AP.”  I think we’ve seen two or three over the years here. I’ve never seen an AP for any other Maxx ashcan in any color.

I was thinking about that.

RMA had mentioned that another issue had 50 AP's printed before the 4000 run was done. Makes me wonder if there are a lot more AP's out there. 10 seems to be a common figure with regards to Maxx, I'm referring to the 1/2 test prints

On 2/9/2020 at 9:28 AM, IkewithMike said:

I was thinking about that.

RMA had mentioned that another issue had 50 AP's printed before the 4000 run was done. Makes me wonder if there are a lot more AP's out there. 10 seems to be a common figure with regards to Maxx, I'm referring to the 1/2 test prints

That's the Dark Knight Signed & Numbered Graphitti edition.

18 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

What do you mean? It was an 

No. I cant even afford a blue. I thought you were asking what the final price was

Edited by IkewithMike