• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Maxx #3 Black - Research
4 4

462 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, Crispin said:

Not sure of your reason for the comment. Red #2 has not been an easy one to find as mentioned by Baslug previously. One just popped up on ebay for $400 but pictures offer no idea of condition. Red #2, Yellow #3, Black #3, all seem hard to acquire out of the bunch.

Better, but still lacking. I remember seeing posts on yellow 3 but cannot remember where. I don't recall any on red 2

On 2/19/2020 at 9:02 AM, Crispin said:

A bit off topic as its not a true ashcan, but has anyone found confirmed information on Maxx #2 mini comic Platinum edition? I've read that there were 15 made, also that there were 25 made. I have no idea if either of those are true.

It's not true.

I bought one of the 9.8 slabs (and should have bought more) and CGC "downgraded" it to 9.6 after I got it signed.

meh

On 2/19/2020 at 9:38 AM, Crispin said:

Not sure of your reason for the comment. Red #2 has not been an easy one to find as mentioned by Baslug previously. One just popped up on ebay for $400 but pictures offer no idea of condition. Red #2, Yellow #3, Black #3, all seem hard to acquire out of the bunch.

It's about an 8.5-9.0. 

54 minutes ago, Grails said:

Maxx original art by Kieth on comiclink.com for anyone interested.

There is only one cover OA of his I want, and I very much doubt it will be for sale while he lives

1 hour ago, IkewithMike said:

There is only one cover OA of his I want, and I very much doubt it will be for sale while he lives

There are several covers in his original run that I would love to get but they will probably never be made available. I was fortunate enough to get three paintings he did in the 90’s right after the original run that went unpublished until he re-released the series. 

I was browsing through the Maxx sets on the registry and noticed at the bottom of the list that Wizard Presents: The Maxx 1/2 is there. I am by no means an expert, but aren't all 4 books in that category already listed as Maxx 1/2?

Is this a new book?

lol so you're Dumpling? CGC has its little quirks. They don't differentiate direct and newsstand from some titles, but do it for others.

Take this for example. Tick #2 had a die cut cover. Legend has it around 200 copies went through production without being cut because they had forgot or the die wasnt set, or whatever the case may be. CGC noted this as an "error" and states it on the label. How this is any different is beyond me. Is it because it's been documented that the Tick was a error and they had a rough estimate of how many issues managed to slip past? Since this has shown up, isnt it possible that it too has a story? Seems like a typical printing error to me, for a value of "typical". Looks like someone forgot to place the header plate. Doesnt look intentional, and there are no other noticable defects. This isnt like the red and blue tests prints, however, since we weren't there, this is one of those things you can only theorize. 

Now for personal questions. Were you the one that showed this as raw, and did you find any discrepancies between a regular 1/2 and this one? Something in the indica or perhaps a mistake coloured page? I imagine CGC would have noted, but now we know they are flawed in putting this book in it's own category and not noting the "error" if you will.

It's a neat conversation piece to be sure

On 2/21/2020 at 5:40 AM, IkewithMike said:

Take this for example. Tick #2 had a die cut cover. Legend has it around 200 copies went through production without being cut because they had forgot or the die wasnt set, or whatever the case may be.

They were made on purpose, according to editor Bob Polio.

3 hours ago, Airmomo said:

Dumpling?

No I did not show this raw. It is exactly the same as the normal copy with the exception of the missing foil. It is a pretty neat book I'm glad I have in my collection.

I'm trying to determine if there are two copies of this error....

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/315069-maxx-appreciation-thread/?do=findComment&comment=10522794

First post of this book showed up Jan 19

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/453004-the-maxx-12-mislabeled/?do=findComment&comment=10735432

Graded copy shows up June 19

2063315025 9.4 MrDumpling

2039724012 9.2 Airmomo

So there are definitely two copies. Pretty cool. Imagining there are probably more out there

Makes me wonder if there was a reason these didn't get a header put on, like someone noticed they were already damaged and decided not to put the header on.

Edited by IkewithMike