• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Maxx #3 Black - Research
4 4

462 posts in this topic

Ok...I'm trying to account for the existence and whereabouts of the Maxx Black Ashcans, particularly #3. This is for academic purposes, to discover if these books actually still exist.

For those who don't know, these are black and white ashcans of the Maxx #1-3. They have a thick cardboard cover, which is black with silver artwork. Shown here:

maxxblack-1.jpg

There are multiple copies of #2 floating around, and a handful of #1s have been sold on ebay in the past decade.

However...I have only seen ONE black #3. There is ONE black #3 on the census, which is my copy.

Does ANYBODY else reading this have one? If you do, are you willing to provide a picture and/or details about it? If you'd wish to remain private, you can PM me with the info, if you're like.

I'm trying to ascertain if more exist. It is quite possible, considering how I got mine (directly from Sam Keith via Jay Company in 2002) that the rest were tossed in the late 90's, when no one cared about them.

Also, any information regarding the other blacks would be appreciated as well.

Let me repeat: this is for academic purposes ONLY. I have NO desire to buy yours, nor sell mine. This is NOT an attempt to gather information for sales purposes. This is a purely academic excercise.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Guest Grails

Right up my alley. RMA, I had a #3 in my hands last month in a trade deal that fell through. Low grade copy with smeared sig. It was the first time I have ever seen one as well.

There are more than 50 black ashcans for #1 but I can't verify that with #'s 2 or 3.

Right up my alley. RMA, I had a #3 in my hands last month in a trade deal that fell through. Low grade copy with smeared sig. It was the first time I have ever seen one as well.

Do you remember what number it was?

There are more than 50 black ashcans for #1 but I can't verify that with #'s 2 or 3.

Help me document that? (As in, do you know where more than 50 copies are in one place, etc?)

Guest Grails

On the black #3, the number was smeared just like the sig but it was in the 20's.

The only reason I believe there are more than 50 black #1's is because after Sam signed and numbered his 1 - 50 it would seem he had some left over and he wrote "AP" on those. My #1 is one of those. And on the back cover, you can clearly see the ink transfer from the book directly beneath it in the stack and that one says "AP" as well. I'll dig up a scan.

On the black #3, the number was smeared just like the sig but it was in the 20's.

The only reason I believe there are more than 50 black #1's is because after Sam signed and numbered his 1 - 50 it would seem he had some left over and he wrote "AP" on those. My #1 is one of those. And on the back cover, you can clearly see the ink transfer from the book directly beneath it in the stack and that one says "AP" as well. I'll dig up a scan.

Ah yes, that's right....the A/P versions. Forgot those, and that makes perfect sense.

I believe that the A/Ps are actually the artist proofs that they got back to make sure the book was decent, which would probably make them the first signed.

It's possible that the A/Ps are actually part of the 50 total (meaning there are numbers missing that are "A/P") but I have nothing to support this.

Thanks for sharing that info!

Guest Grails

Ah yes, that's right....the A/P versions. Forgot those, and that makes perfect sense.

I believe that the A/Ps are actually the artist proofs that they got back to make sure the book was decent, which would probably make them the first signed.

It's possible that the A/Ps are actually part of the 50 total (meaning there are numbers missing that are "A/P") but I have nothing to support this.

I haven't considered that. I sure would like to know. I got this book from Ebay in 2006? I remember the seller mentioning he had carted out stacks of ashcans from Sam's garage.

I don't know anything about the Maxx books in particular, but an AP designation on any signed & numbered edition is above & beyond the specified numbered copies. as a for instance, when I do a postcard limited to 50 copies, I number #1-50 & do 2 APs which I keep around in my files, & sometimes sell them too.

I haven't considered that. I sure would like to know. I got this book from Ebay in 2006? I remember the seller mentioning he had carted out stacks of ashcans from Sam's garage.

I think that's the same time/seller I got my #1 from, I remember he (she) had an AP in his (her?) other auctions. The seller name name have been "bunnytoe". (Or I may just be thinking of that "Bunnywith" book by Alex Pardee that Kieth did a page in each issue of.) No other numbered blacks (2 or 3 I mean, there were other numbers of 1) from that seller (that I saw).

Guest Grails

I think that's the same time/seller I got my #1 from, I remember he (she) had an AP in his (her?) other auctions. The seller name name have been "bunnytoe". (Or I may just be thinking of that "Bunnywith" book by Alex Pardee that Kieth did a page in each issue of.) No other numbered blacks (2 or 3 I mean, there were other numbers of 1) from that seller (that I saw).

Thanks for that info. I found feedback from bunnytoe in my old ebay account. Its funny, I checked my Paypal record for that timeframe (Aug 2006) and found the black ashcan. I paid considerably less than I thought I did. $138.50.

Thanks for that info. I found feedback from bunnytoe in my old ebay account. Its funny, I checked my Paypal record for that timeframe (Aug 2006) and found the black ashcan. I paid considerably less than I thought I did. $138.50.

"bunnytoe" :roflmao:

Hey guys rehashing this thread instead of starting a new thread...what do you guys think of this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120468662722&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

The offer price doesn't seem that bad consider what a black would go for (of course this is released by Wizard and not Image)....surprised no offers have been made yet?