• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Maxx #3 Black - Research
4 4

462 posts in this topic

I am confident I would get a refund.

I honestly don't think you guys would be talking like this if you actually dealt with him. I think your viewpoint on the whole thing is skewed by your "conversation" with him.

But again, my opinion is biased. I got my book, I dealt with him one on one. All I have is the facts of the transaction before me. I paid, he shipped and here it is...Not in the best quality, but from the look, a non collector would say this is in fine condition to have. Its not foxed, the print is really bright, the cover ink is thick. No chips, no discolouration, no tears, no rips and pages are brilliant white. Without the rust, this is a awesome book. Again, my opinion is biased. I love the Maxx, I love having a rare find. This is just one of 12 that I am seeking.

Who wants to hear my email correspondence with the seller? :D It's quite entertaining....

:hi:

Here ya go chief! (*Note, my comments quickly turn inflammatory after his second email about 'getting what I deserve', but this dialogue should be good for a few laughs).

Why was this auction ended early?

I got a "buy it now offer" way above my expectations. I had bascially 3 bidders, two seemed serious. One of them made the offer. Why didn't you make a bid? If I bring out another one would you make a "buy it now" offer?

I only use snipe bids on ebay auctions. Are you talking about bringing out a different one than you just ended? I'm confused, do you have more than the three copies?

Guess you answered your own question. If you cannot come forward and make a proper offer and choose to bid at the end of an auction, then you got what you deserve.

I guess snipes are beyond your comprehension, it is a bid. And thank you for confirming what I already suspected; you're clearly dishonest. You blatantly circumvent the rules of eBay, and out-an-out lie regarding condition. If you truly believe this book is an 8.5-9+, you're either very uninformed, or very crooked. I guess you took a break from running the carnival games at the local fair, to rip people off online.

You're ignorance is beyond reproach. My wife is currently in the hospital and I cannot continue to babysit auctions and whiners like yourself. I took a price from the highest bidder.

I understand what snipe bids are, I understand they are legal on eBay. I find them to be dishonest, just as you find myself to be dishonest. I am sorry you didn't get a chance to bid or took the time to contact me for an offer.

Good day to you.

How are snipes dishonest? It's a bid, the time placed has no relevance. You should learn some basic understanding of markets and how they work.

I really find it amusing how you manipulate ebay to gain exposure of this book, and then go off ebay to avoid paying all fees the website generated, meanwhile the buyer assumes all risk involved in the transaction. Well done, Barnum! Clearly you have no financial integrity.

One final thought of discourse; my girlfriend is in her final year of residency in psychiatry, if you'd like I can negotiate a structured-deal for your mental conditions. Think of the royalty streams if you become part of a case study? :)

I have no need to explain myself to you or anyone else.

Most crooks plead the fifth, I understand.

Putting the words "buy it now" and "offer" together is really dischordant to me. and I was content to think: he's an old guy... never used ebay before... doesn't understand how it works... not really surprised. maybe he legitimately thought that offers made in a private message on ebay are valid bids and that he could end the auction at any time by accepting one of these offers.

but when he acknowledges snipe bids as bidding "at the end of an auction" really strikes a nerve... like maybe he really does know enough about how ebay works that he purposefully circumvented the system. Unless the term "snipe bid" is also used in conventional auctions. ... or maybe he just knows how to use google.

what a disappointing end to that... even if i didn't have any hope of purchasing these books for what they were going for. garage/attic finds are exciting to me and the messages with the seller y'all shared has really soured this one.

The whole experience has been tainted for sure. Instead of a celebration similar to RMA's find, or Jen's collection, we're left with a seller that manipulated a few die-hards fans as best as he could.

Really, I'm glad to have been in the right place at the right time. Yes, I got 10 Black #2s at one time...because I knew what they were, and what they represented. I could very easily have only bought one for myself, and the rest could very easily have been thrown out, because Jay Co. routinely threw out massive amounts of that just didn't sell.

Important facts to consider:

1. Other than my black #2s, there have only been TWO other documented #2 blacks "out there"...the one that was put up on eBay around 2008-2009 by "oftimespast", and quickly pulled, and ibeforej's. That's it.

If I hadn't found the other 10, that would have meant that #2 would have been rarer than #3 (of which there are 3 known in private hands besides mine.)

2. With the "appearances" of #3 Yellow, all 12 books have now made an appearance on eBay. The #2 Yellow was being sold in that lot with the Black #1 that grails bought last May. The #3 Yellow was the last one to be offered for public sale, and now all of them have, so anyone who wanted the whole set has now had the opportunity to purchase one (this does NOT include the pulled #3 Yellow, but the one that had the BIN which was hit.)

3. Despite public discussion for years, and immense prices seen on these books over the last 5-6 years, vast swaths of them have NOT turned up on the marketplace. With sales of $600+ for a Black #1, $500+ for a Black #2, mine and Mike's Rack's #3 offered for a couple of thousand dollars each, consistent sales of #1 Blues (clearly the most common by far) in the $20-$60 range, and consistent sales of #1 Red in the $60-$100 range, along with handfuls of others in the $100-$300 range...unbelievable prices for non-slabbed, non-ultra high grade comics...in fact, grade for grade, probably the most expensive 90's books ever...examples simply have not flooded into the market.

This lends a lot of credence to the thought that most of these were simply tossed in the late 90's. Could they still be out there, sitting in someone's storage? Of course, anything's possible. Are they sitting in amounts anywhere nearing the original print runs....? Probably not.

That I realized an immense cash return on my investment is only the icing on the case. If these really WERE the last surviving copies....and a 15 year search leads me to think they might be...then at least they were saved from the mulch pile, so that others could own them, too.

That pleases me far more than the money ever could.

I am confident I would get a refund.

I honestly don't think you guys would be talking like this if you actually dealt with him. I think your viewpoint on the whole thing is skewed by your "conversation" with him.

I think my viewpoint on the whole thing is skewed by the facts.

He ended a listing while it was active and had bids, because he got an "offer he couldn't refuse." This is not illegal, but it's incredibly classless, because it says to all the bidders and potential bidders that they were too stupid to circumvent eBay and make a side offer themselves.

It wasn't a fair outcome. I don't care that I "missed out" because I had already been priced out, so I'm not speaking from sour grapes. I wouldn't have paid the CURRENT high bid when he ended it, much less whatever he was offered.

But we were all robbed of an actual market price for the book, which I consider the most valuable part.

And...I SERIOUSLY doubt he paid eBay the FVF he should rightfully have paid, which means he is probably also a thief.

These are facts, despite how nice he may have been.

:(

1. Other than my black #2s, there have only been TWO other documented #2 blacks "out there"...the one that was put up on eBay around 2008-2009 by "oftimespast", and quickly pulled, and ibeforej's. That's it.

I had a black #2 as well. Sent it in for grading and I believe it was an 8.0. Sold it a while back to Lebowski here on the boards.

I had a black #2 as well. Sent it in for grading and I believe it was an 8.0. Sold it a while back to Lebowski here on the boards.

Do you remember where you got it? I didn't think to write down the "oftimespast" copy # down, and I should have been more diligent about that. But thanks for adding that info, C-dawg! :) Every little piece helps.

Do you remember where you got it? I didn't think to write down the "oftimespast" copy # down, and I should have been more diligent about that. But thanks for adding that info, C-dawg! :) Every little piece helps.

I won it with an old account on ebay and don't remember the seller. I'll PM TJ and have him post an image.

I won it with an old account on ebay and don't remember the seller. I'll PM TJ and have him post an image.

I think he has one on the registry.

I would like to see a running log of the top five rarest (Blacks 1,2 and 3, Yellow 2 and 3) books.

I don't know how many Black number 1s have been sold...I want to say around 10, but this is just a guess.

What I have seen or know about:

5-7 #1 blacks

13 #2 blacks

4 #3 blacks

4 #3 Yellows

2 #2 Yellows

4-5 #1 Yellows

The rest are much more common.

I would like to see a running log of the top five rarest (Blacks 1,2 and 3, Yellow 2 and 3) books.

I don't know how many Black number 1s have been sold...I want to say around 10, but this is just a guess.

5-7 #1 blacks

13 #2 blacks

4 #3 blacks

4 #3 Yellows

2 #2 Yellows

4-5 #1 Yellows

I would even remove the Number 1 yellow, it seems to be more common than a few others (Red #2). And with a total list of 150 (plus any aps), it's somewhat manageable to track each book.

Just to be clear, these are tracked sales, not a census, correct?

5-7 #1 blacks

13 #2 blacks

4 #3 blacks

4 #3 Yellows

2 #2 Yellows

4-5 #1 Yellows

I would even remove the Number 1 yellow, it seems to be more common than a few others (Red #2). And with a total list of 150 (plus any aps), it's somewhat manageable to track each book.

Neither. It's the absolute number of copies that I have seen with my own two peepers, or know for sure exists. I have tracked these on eBay since they first came up with the e-mail alert program, what, 12 years ago? The only ones I missed were the international ones that they don't report on.

5-7 #1 blacks

13 #2 blacks

4 #3 blacks

4 #3 Yellows

2 #2 Yellows

4-5 #1 Yellows

Neither. It's the absolute number of copies that I have seen with my own two peepers, or know for sure exists. I have tracked these on eBay since they first came up with the e-mail alert program, what, 12 years ago? The only ones I missed were the international ones that they don't report on.

So it's a personal census, not a complete list, but no fault of your own, just the limitations of one person's awareness. I would like to see if someone with a worthpoint account (or equivalency) can see how many sales there has been. It would be a start at least.

I'm pretty sure there's at least 6 Number 3 yellows. There was one sold last year on ebay with a high BIN/BO, that didn't look like it would be in the condition of the two on the census. That one, and the three recent sales, puts it at 6 (at a minimum).

5-7 #1 blacks

13 #2 blacks

4 #3 blacks

4 #3 Yellows

2 #2 Yellows

4-5 #1 Yellows

So it's a personal census, not a complete list, but no fault of your own, just the limitations of one person's awareness.

Well, yeah...that's what the words "I have seen or know about" tend to mean.

;)

What value does MY personal list have over, say, Harry Smith's list...? Well, like I said, I've tracked every listing on eBay for well over a decade.

But your mileage on the value of my personal list may vary.

:whee:

I would like to see if someone with a worthpoint account (or equivalency) can see how many sales there has been. It would be a start at least.

I'm pretty sure there's at least 6 Number 3 yellows. There was one sold last year on ebay with a high BIN/BO, that didn't look like it would be in the condition of the two on the census. That one, and the three recent sales, puts it at 6 (at a minimum).

There was a #3 Yellow on eBay last year? Date? I have every single Maxx Ashcan e-mail alert sent through eBay since 2007.

I'll revise my number on the #3 Yellows, if there are two on the census, to 5.

Well it arrived.

In a padded envelope, in a ZIPLOC bag lol

It looks in relatively good shape, there is a ding on the top corner, and the bottom staple looks like it might have a bit of rust on it....a little bit of a black scuff mark on the back.

Pages are unbelievably white. Cover and back are really glossy and shiny.

I dunno what grade it would be, but doesnt look all that bad. Will post scans when have some time

It's good the book arrived, because you took tremendous risk going outside ebay.

But how is that book a 9.0+?

No idea, I haven't gone in depth with the grading process. To me I would say its around a 8.5. But I will not or cannot say anything for sure. I am not good at that kind of thing. Do I think it's worth the price I paid....well, depends on how rare these actually turn out to be. If these 3 plus the other few I know of turn out to be the only ones, well its totally worth it. If all the other 99 show up...then no, I want a better copy lol

You tell me

With migrating rust and all the damage you can see, that is a 6.0-6.5

There you have it...not great, but what can you do :shrug:

A dremel.

Is there somewhere in this thread the actual history of the Maxx ashcans? I'm curious to find out more about how these books came about and where they came from.

Props to RMA for tracking this book for so long.

Hi Doc Balls,

Here's a piece about them:

http://www.recalledcomics.com/Maxx123Ashcans.php

Just ignore the prices from their "guide." A yellow #3 is worth $900 compared to a black #2 at $400? And all three blacks should have the same or similar value as there are 50 of each of them. I'd actually say value can't be determined on the blacks since the sales are off the wall. That, and the lack of sales. Black #1's have sold for between $200 and $2000 in the last two years.