• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Maxx #3 Black - Research
4 4

462 posts in this topic

Just ignore the prices from their "guide." A yellow #3 is worth $900 compared to a black #2 at $400? And all three blacks should have the same or similar value as there are 50 of each of them. I'd actually say value can't be determined on the blacks since the sales are off the wall. That, and the lack of sales. Black #1's have sold for between $200 and $2000 in the last two years.

Agreed... These values seem to be based on the assumption that the entire set is the intended goal.. The blacks are obviously the most desired, and therefore highest valued of the set

Just got caught up on the eBay auction drama and wanted to make one point- eBay now requires sellers to pay the Final Value Fee (FVF) of the current price when they end an auction early. So, if the seller ended the auction at $200, he would have to fork over $20.

On another note, it's exciting to see some yellow #3's pop up- very nice finds! If I didn't have one already, I would gladly have scooped one up- rust or not! ;)

However, $2k+ for a #3 is ridiculous

...you think a book that only has FOUR copies known, despite the others selling for hundreds to THOUSANDS (yes, a Black #1 sold for two THOUSAND dollars), is "ridiculous" at $2,000?

Boy, you better not check what Silver Age Marvels sell for.....

:ohnoez:

Just got caught up on the eBay auction drama and wanted to make one point- eBay now requires sellers to pay the Final Value Fee (FVF) of the current price when they end an auction early. So, if the seller ended the auction at $200, he would have to fork over $20.

You get one mulligan a year, where you're not charged.

I'm not quite sure how that works when all bids are cancelled, and then the listing is ended.

You get one mulligan a year, where you're not charged.

I'm not quite sure how that works when all bids are cancelled, and then the listing is ended.

And it's a zero-feedback account, it's not like he's risking his reputation..or maybe he is, battling 0%. haha

How many yellow #3's out there? Are you saying that those would be worth over $2k if they are graded at 7.5 or above? And as far as silver age Marvels for sale....? How exactly is that connected to Maxx ashcans? 2K for a 7.5 Black 3 is ridiculous.. $2k for a 9.0 Black #1 'AP' is a whole different story. You cannot compare the two.

How many yellow #3's out there? Are you saying that those would be worth over $2k if they are graded at 7.5 or above? And as far as silver age Marvels for sale....? How exactly is that connected to Maxx ashcans? 2K for a 7.5 Black 3 is ridiculous.. $2k for a 9.0 Black #1 'AP' is a whole different story. You cannot compare the two.

Stupid, lame CGC board. I now have to type all of this AGAIN.

:mad:

Anyhoo....you folks that are so concerned with grades on books that are essentially Gerber 8s, 9s, and 10s (11-20 copies known, 6-10, 5 or less) are cutting off your noses to spite your faces. Grade becomes functionally meaningless when there are 4 copies known to still exist, out of an original run of only 50, 21 years ago. Sure, it would be nice to have a 9+, but simply owning a copy is far more important, and grade really has no bearing on price.

What is radically different from an "A/P" #1 in 9.0 (VF/NM) and a #3 in 7.5 (VF-)? Not much. For comparison, a black #3 sold last year for $1800.

And does being an "A/P" mean anything on these anyway? Real A/Ps are supposed to be the first several copies printed to make sure...that is, to PROVE...that the finished product is what the creator intended. Dark Knight, for example, has 50 A/Ps, but then they did the REAL run of 4,000 signed copies (plus the 26 A-Z special copies.) But the blacks only had a TOTAL print run of 50, so aren't they ALL technically A/Ps? Yes! The #1 A/P was probably just the first one that Sam saw, so he marked it "A/P"....but that doesn't mean it's worth substantially more than a black #3. And black #1s are, by far, the most common of the blacks.

As far as the Yellow #3s...with the "rusty attic" find, there are now 6-8 known copies of that book...more than the black #3s. But if there were only 2-3 Yellow #3s known to still exist, then YES, it absolutely would be a $2,000 book, regardless of grade.

Maxx is part of comics history. There will come a day when people look back at this series and it will become popular again. The blacks, especially the #3, are the crown jewels of the set. When and if that happens, $2,000 (barring hyperinflation) will look like chump change.

Is the price really "ridiculous" because you don't have one, you want one, but don't want to pay the price, so you have to talk it down....?

hm

And recalled comics stole my scan! ;) Free advertising! Yay!

Guest Grails

Another boardie recently completed the entire ashcan set. Hopefully he will post them up here soon.

Another boardie recently completed the entire ashcan set. Hopefully he will post them up here soon.

How many are we up to? If anyone cares, I sold my #2 yellow this past week....I'm contemplating selling the rest of blue, red and yellows.

I know a #3 was sold...maybe it's the same one?

That's great!

The only ones I've never had is #1 Black...as usual...and #3 Yellow.

Guest Grails

I know a #3 was sold...maybe it's the same one?

I don't know. But I sold my #1 to him a while back.