• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Maxx #3 Black - Research
4 4

462 posts in this topic

Is issue #3 the hardest to find in any color? Any idea on valuations of a Red #3?

Yes, with the exception of the blacks, all colors have decreasing print runs after issue 1...i'm not 100% of these numbers but i think it breaks down like this...

Blues - 4000, 800, 500

Reds - 1400, 500, 350

Yellows - 500, 150, 100

Blacks - 50

I don't know what to tell you about valuations, they seem all over the map for maxx ashcans...one minute ppl are paying $100 for a red#1, the next you wouldn't find a buyer at $35, i have my price points but i'm not willing to divulge that :P And of course condition is a big factor as most ashcans are pretty beat up...

I believe this is how the ashcans break down. I don't have one in front of me right now but the print runs are also listed inside the ashcans.

#1 Blue (4000 copies)

#1 Red (1500 copies)

#1 Yellow (500 copies)

#1 Black (50 copies)

#2 Blue (4000 copies)

#2 Red (1500 copies)

#2 Yellow (500 copies)

#2 Black (50 copies)

#3 Blue (500 copies)

#3 Red (350 copies)

#3 Yellow (100 copies)

#3 Black (50 copies)

I believe that there were 1500 #1 red, and I am fairly certain that your #2 numbers are low. I'll check tonight. (Those are one of the few books in my collection that I can actually locate with ease.)

I went back and checked the numbers after seeing a few people comment on them...the only number i was wrong was with the number one red with 1500 - i said 1400.

The number 2s i posted were accurate..

Blue - 800

Red - 500

Yellow - 150

Black - 50

Those are realistic because the number twos don't pop up nearly as often as the number ones....i've only seen 2 number two yellows compared to at least 7 or 8 number ones. Speaking of number three yellows, does anyone have one?

I made an offer for that book in the past when I found it in his registry. There are thousands of these books with the only difference being the color of the title.

Sorry just caught this now, might send that black three off to CGC...what do you guys make of this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ULTRA-RARE-MAXX-1-2-BLUE-TEST-COMIC-CGC-9-8-LTD-TO-10_W0QQitemZ120531907796QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1c1042f4d4

I passed when he was trying to sell the raw for $325, and the 9.2 for the same amount.

He's fooling himself. If there was no buyer at $325 for a 9.2, $20,000 is about $19,500 more than he could fairly get for this book. These aren't Silver Age Marvels, where a 9.2 is worth $200, but a 9.8 is worth $20,000, because there are 367 9.2s, and 1 9.8. Grade simply doesn't matter much for books like this, when you're dealing with "10" total.

Don't get me wrong, I'd pay $200 for a red and a blue, on a book that's worth maybe 50 cents as a regular, but $325+ is just too much for a book that has interest to..what, the five of us? Maybe?

I wonder how much he bought these for from Wizard.... hm

Sorry, i'll get on it...I might send the number two yellow to CGC...I almost wanted to send that seller an email when i saw how ridiculous his BINs were. I agree with what you guys are saying about maybe paying $50-$100, I don't think these published by Wizard are worth anywhere near a Black, let alone the 'out of this stratsophere' asking prices he's looking at. I'm sure he also paid $15 a pop for them, lol....p.s. down to just two now! Anyone have a #3 yellow????

There was a red foil on eBay last week. It and the blue foil have the same production number of 10.

The red was a 9.4 and it was bid up to $260ish(?) with the reserve not being met.

IMO, this book in 9.8 is worth $500ish.

When you have a book with a print run of 10, there's not going to be a huge difference between the price of a 9.4 and 9.8...

...imho :)

Hello guys, I'm the owner of those Maxx 1/2 red and blues. I've been around this forum for awhile but this is my first post. I enjoy the constructed criticism. Let me pass on some info for those who are unaware of these gems. I own 6 of the 10 blue copies 4 graded 2 ungraded and 2 graded of the 10 red copies. I'm looking to grade the 2 blue in the future. These books are not like a typical variant that is usually produced and made available. The red and blue copies are a form of a variant since, the color on the covers differ from the mass produced original purple cover, the one that everyone and there mother has. These books are actually production samples/prototypes that were made for in house evaluation prior to the release and for the release of the final product.Ten of each color were made to decide on the final product, I guess they couldn't decide on a color and went with a mixture of both. I really don't know. Years ago on their website, Wizard sold many of their 1/2 issues and were looking to be done with all them, including the production samples. When I purchased the books, I was skeptical about them being only limited to ten copies as what was stated on Wizard's website, so I found some info at the Wizard booth at the Philly Con. They confirmed it(actually called one of the shamus brothers/owners) that these were production samples limited to 10 copies each. On value or worth its truly difficult to set an amount since there's no data on sales, really no information on the web at all. Trust me, I'm have been looking for years. GPA has nothing. With the exception of the few on the this forum, these production samples truly lack knowledge and awareness.

Its tuff to say it's only worth $1 , $10 , $100 ,$1,000, $10,000, $100,000.00 especially when their is no price data available and that these books are not the run of the mill "VARIANT". How do you put a price/value on a prototype. It's a unique item. That's the reason why I have the books set so high. It seems like everyone always looks at the BIN price and discerns the best offer option. I'm not saying the books are worth this set amount. When there's a lack of knowledge value or worth can be unclear. That is up to the collector to decide. I really don't know what their worth. That is the reason for the high prices.

In rarity for modern variants, I believe these to be on top. I can't think of any other book that comes close. Anyone!!! Maybe the Bloodshot #0 Platinum only 15 found possible up to 300 but that's an error book.

Ok not to come off as a *spoon* but as for Maxx Ashcans, don't get wrong their really cool collectibles and I remember years ago on the bay that I had opportunities galore to purchase these books for a song and a dance, no one seemed to want them at the time. Now, there the collectible to find.

These books were made to be sold to collectors, and all the drooling over the Black #3 they made 50 copies to sell and were at one time available for someone to purchase. We might have a difference in opinion but these are just ASHCANS!!! not a production sample. Of coarse I wouldn't mind having a set for myself, being a variant freak. I noticed someone on the forum looking for a Cry For Dawn Horror-Con #3 variant willing to pay a hefty amount for a book that was available to the public at a convention and with a print run about 300-400 copies that has a xerox copy cover. For some that would seem crazy, a photocopy cover!!!, I for one don't think so, since that is what someone is willing to pay to obtain a hard to find collectible. And that issue is really tuff to find!!! I hope he finds it for his collection.

I'm not here to bash or make fun of someone's desire of a certain collectible or bash what someone would pay or sell for a certain item because it all comes down to personal opinion the hobby thrives on subjectivity. I just want to state the facts and the information I have found pertaining to my books.I believe there are more than the stated 5 or so people other than this forum that are Maxx and/or variant collectors. It's hard to perceive that this forum is the only place where comic book collectors reside.

If anyone has any added info about these books I would definitely appreciate it.

Michael

Hey Michael, thanks for the reply...I guess part of the issue for me is that it appears you're trying to manipulate the market for these. I asked in private on two separate occasions what the reserve is and what you'd be willing to sell unslabbed copies of either, just ballpark ideas and you couldn't give an answer to either. If you set absolutely absurd BINS, it shows you really aren't interested in selling and over time actual prospective buyers (like myself and others on the board) will just walk away. Maybe you are willing to let an auction run with lower reserve each time to guage interest, because there's no other way to tell about accurate value without clear sales. If you come out and say i'll let it run for a year and if none sell i'll lower the price or i'll try again later, I'd have more respect for you as the seller and it would maintain my interest.

These are quite the collectible and you have something that's ridiculously rare but to let's be honest here, these are published by Wizard! To say these are more valuable than a number 3 Maxx Black, published by Image with extra pages of unseen art and signed and numbered by Keith, I have to disagree. Collecting interest is unknown, think of the countless artists that suddenly become 'hot' posthumous. Only time will tell how the market settles for all of these items, you may be right...

Hello spreads, thanks for the insight, I'm not trying to manipulate anything. I'm trying to protect my investment, like I stated earlier how do you put a price/worth on this kind of collectible. I set the price high and from there bidders can place a best offer what they feel is worth it to them. I have set the reserve price extremely lower in the past but I was receiving bids around what I paid for them. I think the lack of awareness is a big factor. After taking a red and blue edition to Wizard Philly, at the show I confronted every single dealer that was avidly trying to sell their modern wares, these two books and they were lost in thought scratching their heads never seeing them before.So I came to the conclusion that very few do know about these. I know the the saying something is only worth what someone is willing to pay, that is true most of the time. but the true market potential is not there because lack of awareness. I understand your point running it for a year to see but I'm not looking to sell these off to make a $100- $300 profit. I'm not in a position that I need the money that bad.

I tend to disagree when it comes to the Maxx #3 because to me it really doesn't matter who publishes the book. Image, Wizard, Marvel, DC, Dynamic Forces or Jay Company etc... even though Image/Wizard both had something to do with it. I just think something that isn't normally meant to be sold to the general public and is a extremely limited specimen and that started the 1/2 craze (if positive or negative) would hold up if not better compared in rarity to the extremely rare book like the Maxx Black #3 no matter who publishes it IMHO. That's why I really like these boards because everyone has a different take on what is rare. It makes these posts very interesting.

Yeah, you never really can gauge the market on some books their dead the day they start then one day they become the best thing since sliced bread. I remember conventions as many do, when the bronze age were literally in $1.00 boxes look at them now!!! During that insane comic glut of the 90's, I remember the NY Comic con at Jacob Javits in the early 90's where everyone was going nuts for a stupid hot pink piece of paper to fill out the survey to receive a Gold Supreme, Youngblood or a Brigade from Image You know who you are!!!!! of coarse I was one of them, looking like a riot could brake out at the booth at any moment.I grabbed my book and left without harm. It's really scary what people would do in those days for a variant cover. Those books were selling between $50.00 to $75.00 when they first came out, a book that started out free.... now.... your lucky to get a couple of bucks for them. so the story goes.. thanks for your input......

I do not know you from a hole in the ground...but you have to be realistic at some point. I have many super-uber rare items, but the market for them is finite. Most people are not aware of the books because most people don't care about the Maxx. I am a big fan of the title and many here on the boards are also..but it isn't that popular and obviously not very mainstream. I am not belittling your books in anyway---I just thought I would give you a different perspective. Good luck with them and I hope you one day get what you want for them.

Hi, that's true most people don't care about the Maxx, just speculating down the road a new Maxx series could gathering renewed interest as the Maxx series had way back when. Just like with anything you never know!!! So in other words, even if you have a super-uber rare book what would be realistic a $1.00 a $1000.00 I'm confused if there is no sales data to gauge a ball park value, how could there be a market. It all comes to what someone would pay. That is why I have the best offer option so someone if interested, could place an offer. I might take it I might not. I do appreciate your perspective!!! Thanks!!!

Welcome Michael. I understand you would like to get the maximum value for your books (we all do) although I think a 20K BIN would discourage many from even making an offer. You know what your previous auctions have ended at and that should give you an idea for market value (for the moment).

Despite them being prototypes and limited to ten, to me, they are just The Maxx 1/2 with a different color in the title. As much as the completist in me would love to have one, I wouldn't be able to justify paying a high price for a dollar book with blue lettering instead of purple.

Hi, that's true most people don't care about the Maxx, just speculating down the road a new Maxx series could gathering renewed interest as the Maxx series had way back when. Just like with anything you never know!!! So in other words, even if you have a super-uber rare book what would be realistic a $1.00 a $1000.00 I'm confused if there is no sales data to gauge a ball park value, how could there be a market. It all comes to what someone would pay. That is why I have the best offer option so someone if interested, could place an offer. I might take it I might not. I do appreciate your perspective!!! Thanks!!!

It depends on what the item is...everything is different. I can't tell you how to price your books---I just don't think many comics are worthy of being $1000 raw books.

Sorry, i'll get on it...I might send the number two yellow to CGC...I almost wanted to send that seller an email when i saw how ridiculous his BINs were. I agree with what you guys are saying about maybe paying $50-$100, I don't think these published by Wizard are worth anywhere near a Black, let alone the 'out of this stratsophere' asking prices he's looking at. I'm sure he also paid $15 a pop for them, lol....p.s. down to just two now! Anyone have a #3 yellow????

I sent my #1 Yellow to be slabbed, and they...of course...hammered the offset pages.

Only got a 9.0, when the cover itself is flawless.

Considering CGC has seen all of about 10 of these total, they don't really have a good handle on grades...or, they do, and 9.0 is about as high as they will ever go.

I have never, ever seen a #3 Yellow...which is odd, becaue they are ostensibly twice as common as #3. lol

There was a red foil on eBay last week. It and the blue foil have the same production number of 10.

The red was a 9.4 and it was bid up to $260ish(?) with the reserve not being met.

IMO, this book in 9.8 is worth $500ish.

When you have a book with a print run of 10, there's not going to be a huge difference between the price of a 9.4 and 9.8...

...imho :)

(thumbs u