• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Maxx #3 Black - Research
4 4

462 posts in this topic

Sorry, i'll get on it...I might send the number two yellow to CGC...I almost wanted to send that seller an email when i saw how ridiculous his BINs were. I agree with what you guys are saying about maybe paying $50-$100, I don't think these published by Wizard are worth anywhere near a Black, let alone the 'out of this stratsophere' asking prices he's looking at. I'm sure he also paid $15 a pop for them, lol....p.s. down to just two now! Anyone have a #3 yellow????

I sent my #1 Yellow to be slabbed, and they...of course...hammered the offset pages.

Only got a 9.0, when the cover itself is flawless.

Considering CGC has seen all of about 10 of these total, they don't really have a good handle on grades...or, they do, and 9.0 is about as high as they will ever go.

I have never, ever seen a #3 Yellow...which is odd, becaue they are ostensibly twice as common as #3. lol

I was wondering when you'd chime in :whistle::grin:

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn65/ggsae/IMG_0899.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn65/ggsae/IMG_0900.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn65/ggsae/IMG_0902.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn65/ggsae/IMG_0903.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn65/ggsae/IMG_0905.jpg

You know the photos aren't as clear as i like, especially the last one on the back which makes it look worse than it actually is, lol. But I definitely agree that a 9.0 is about as high as we can expect, I think both of these would fall around a 9.0/8.5. Don't know what to say about the number three yellow, i thought I recalled you just missed out on one from a seller that had all three yellows (quite a feat on it's own!).

Edited by spreads

Hi I'm not trying to make you guys feel uneasy in any way, if I come off that way I apologize, it wasn't my intent. I'm not selling any hype and yes $20,000 for this book is a crazy amount. I figured set a high price and then take offers. I thought that was fair enough being the nature of these books. Let people put their money where there mouth is. I'm trying to be as honest as possible. I do want to sell these books, no hype needed.

Thanks!!!

Hi I'm not trying to make you guys feel uneasy in any way, if I come off that way I apologize, it wasn't my intent. I'm not selling any hype and yes $20,000 for this book is a crazy amount. I figured set a high price and then take offers. I thought that was fair enough being the nature of these books. Let people put their money where there mouth is. I'm trying to be as honest as possible. I do want to sell these books, no hype needed.

Thanks!!!

Why don't you just let a regular auction run (with no reserve)? This would solve all of your problems and let the market decide what it is actually worth. If you don't like the price then keep the other 9.

Just a quick question...

What does everyone believe that the original, one-of-a-kind, hand-drawn by the artist cover for Maxx #1/2 would be worth?

Take that price, divide by 10. That's probably a fair guess on a comic with 10 copies.

That is a fair analogy. Original comic art covers and pages do a fraction of the asking price for these books.

I'd say the original art to Maxx 1/2 would be about $5-7K. Albert Moy has the cover to Detective #656 for $4500, and the cover to MCP #99, the Byrne homage, for $8K.

If these were official, released books, I'd agree, but prototypes always do a bit less than official books.

I think that value is accurate (and wish I had the scratch to throw away at that Byrne homage), but there is one variable which could skew that piece tremendously, if it was offered by itself. That variable is that no published Maxx art has been publicly sold, and as everyone in this thread knows, there are some Maxx nuts out there. Good to see this thread pick back up, even if it is ineffectual discourse at the moment. (I do like those 1/2's, but there is not a soul alive who likes them for 20K. Not if they were 9.8 SS'd by Jack Kirby, Elvis, and the Taco Bell chihuahua.)

Hi I don't think there's any problems. I feel comfortable with how the auction is set. I have been burned a couple of times going the no reserve route, so I'm reluctant to place these books without a reserve. Thanks for your suggestion though.

Just a quick question...

What does everyone believe that the original, one-of-a-kind, hand-drawn by the artist cover for Maxx #1/2 would be worth?

Take that price, divide by 10. That's probably a fair guess on a comic with 10 copies.

That is a fair analogy. Original comic art covers and pages do a fraction of the asking price for these books.

I'd say the original art to Maxx 1/2 would be about $5-7K. Albert Moy has the cover to Detective #656 for $4500, and the cover to MCP #99, the Byrne homage, for $8K.

If these were official, released books, I'd agree, but prototypes always do a bit less than official books.

I think that value is accurate (and wish I had the scratch to throw away at that Byrne homage), but there is one variable which could skew that piece tremendously, if it was offered by itself. That variable is that no published Maxx art has been publicly sold, and as everyone in this thread knows, there are some Maxx nuts out there. Good to see this thread pick back up, even if it is ineffectual discourse at the moment. (I do like those 1/2's, but there is not a soul alive who likes them for 20K. Not if they were 9.8 SS'd by Jack Kirby, Elvis, and the Taco Bell chihuahua.)

The cover to Darker Image #1 sold on Moys site and I can't believe I missed it.

Hi I just don't understand the need to know how much someone paid for an item. I know for me I could care less what that person paid. If I want a book I just buy it. What would I gain, maybe I'm missing something.

Yes, you're missing something, and here's what it is:

This information is useful for historical purposes, so people can understand what market existed for these relative to the entire market. It does not matter what you paid for them as it relates to future sales, but it gives everyone an idea of what they were worth at one time.

The Mile High Action #1 sold for $25,000 in 1982. We know this, and it gives us a good idea of what Mile Highs were worth relative to their respective markets. John Verzyl will tell you what he paid for all his Timely Mile Highs, but you can't touch them for 20 times what he paid.

And a bonus? If you scored these for $10 each, we can all be jealous.

Thanks!!!

Why don't you just let a regular auction run (with no reserve)? This would solve all of your problems and let the market decide what it is actually worth. If you don't like the price then keep the other 9.

I can tell you, right now, I'd bid $200. I'm fairly certain I'm not the only one, so it's a guaranteed $200.

Fufat doesn't HAVE to sell them...I plan on listing both my #3 Black and another #2 Black...and they're going to be for crazy amounts...but I don't *have* to sell them, and if someone wants them bad enough to pay my price, they'll pay them.

But I'm not going to ask $20,000 for a Maxx Black #3, even though there are only TWO known to exist currently.

And, if Fufat WANTS to sell them...he's going to have to acknowledge that no one's going to waste time making offers on a $20,000 start point.

It's like listing the Hulk #181 9.9 for $1,000,000. Sure, the guy could just say he's "looking for offers"...but no one's going to make a fair offer, because the start price is ridiculous. If he started it at $125,000, that's a very high amount...but it's not out of the realm of reasonableness.

I'm not saying if someone offered me $ 20,000 I wouldn't take it. Of coarse I would !!! I'm just not expecting it. I really would like to know where did you get the 200 - 500 price? Was it at the same place I found the $20,000 Because really they're both a made up number. There's no sales to base a true value. Just because you say its value is $200-$500 doesn't mean it's true. It seems to me that $200- $500 price range is what your willing to pay. Listen I really don't mind what people think about me when I don't disclose any info on what I paid for these books. It's not good business to do so. I mean really, what dealer would tell you what he paid for a book your looking at to buy. Obviously aside of yourself. Look I always like a good heated debate but we can go on and on and on. It's a safe bet we just have a difference of opinion.

Yeah, I'm going to have to call BS on this one.

You know where I got the $200-$500 range? Because that's what the rarest regular issues Maxx books have sold for...the Maxx Blacks.

And these sold in 2008, in a MUCH firmer market, AND, the first sale was $510, the second was $310, and the last was $179.

We have a SIMILAR situation, if not precisely the same. You may dismiss the Blacks, but I guarantee you, outside of my mini-hoard, these books were either tossed, or they're distributed tightly in collections, or they're sitting in Sam Keith's boxes somewhere. In the past TEN YEARS, we've seen a single sale for #3 (last year), FIVE sales of #2 (three of which were mine), and 7-9 sales of #1.

So, to say the numbers are "made up" is simply not true.

Ask anyone else in this thread which numbers are more realistic...$200--$500...or $20,000.

And....you seem to not understand this...but what *I* am willing to pay is only slightly less than what the 4-5 OTHER guys are willing to pay, who understand what these are, appreciate them, and give a damn about owning them...

Everyone else? You'd be lucky to get $10 for one. If 10 of something exists, but only 9 people want one...they're worthless...at least the 10th is....

Why don't you just state what you're willing to accept? Instead of playing the guessing game?

I'm not saying if someone offered me $ 20,000 I wouldn't take it. Of coarse I would !!! I'm just not expecting it. I really would like to know where did you get the 200 - 500 price? Was it at the same place I found the $20,000 Because really they're both a made up number. There's no sales to base a true value. Just because you say its value is $200-$500 doesn't mean it's true. It seems to me that $200- $500 price range is what your willing to pay. Listen I really don't mind what people think about me when I don't disclose any info on what I paid for these books. It's not good business to do so. I mean really, what dealer would tell you what he paid for a book your looking at to buy. Obviously aside of yourself. Look I always like a good heated debate but we can go on and on and on. It's a safe bet we just have a difference of opinion.

And how does disclosing the reserve price hurt your sales? It's stuff like that and these absolutely absurd 20k bins which just diminishes my desire for them. And as far as I know i'm the only person in the world (aside from maybe Keith himself :P) with all three blacks (2 away from a complete set), you really have to understand your target audience - it's the completest (participating here) chasing the set that are only going to spend real money for these...

All I need is a #1, buddy. ;) And #1s are the easiest to get...

:P

You and I are the only people in the world with a #3....

:acclaim:

Sorry, i'll get on it...I might send the number two yellow to CGC...I almost wanted to send that seller an email when i saw how ridiculous his BINs were. I agree with what you guys are saying about maybe paying $50-$100, I don't think these published by Wizard are worth anywhere near a Black, let alone the 'out of this stratsophere' asking prices he's looking at. I'm sure he also paid $15 a pop for them, lol....p.s. down to just two now! Anyone have a #3 yellow????

I sent my #1 Yellow to be slabbed, and they...of course...hammered the offset pages.

Only got a 9.0, when the cover itself is flawless.

Considering CGC has seen all of about 10 of these total, they don't really have a good handle on grades...or, they do, and 9.0 is about as high as they will ever go.

I have never, ever seen a #3 Yellow...which is odd, becaue they are ostensibly twice as common as #3. lol

I was wondering when you'd chime in :whistle::grin:

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn65/ggsae/IMG_0899.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn65/ggsae/IMG_0900.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn65/ggsae/IMG_0902.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn65/ggsae/IMG_0903.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn65/ggsae/IMG_0905.jpg

You know the photos aren't as clear as i like, especially the last one on the back which makes it look worse than it actually is, lol. But I definitely agree that a 9.0 is about as high as we can expect, I think both of these would fall around a 9.0/8.5. Don't know what to say about the number three yellow, i thought I recalled you just missed out on one from a seller that had all three yellows (quite a feat on it's own!).

Very nice. Yeah, the guy who sold me the Yellow #1...for $50... :P...said he had all of them.

I doubt it.

But who knows.

You are EVER so lucky that #3 didn't show up on US searches...I have no doubt you would have beat it, but I would have thrown a $1,000 bid up. ;)

I still need #3 Blue, #2 Red, (Thank God it's not the other way around!), #2 and #3 Yellow, and #1 Black.

I keep telling people I'll GLADLY trade a #2 Black for any combination of these, but no one seems interested. Ah well! I'll keep my hoard of blacks....

IMG_1129.jpg

:whistle:

Look I have these books up at auction if interested place an offer, if not that's fine. It gets redundant hearing you trying to continuously make the same point. I GET IT!!! It's like you do this to hear yourself talk. It's just a comic book and an auction. Not a big deal!!! You can do one of two things, I'm trying to help you here: #1 Place an offer or #2 Do not place an offer. It's quite a simple concept once you do it a couple of times it's really easy. Plain and simple. You know what dude do me a favor don't place an offer I don't need your money or your attitude. I came on the boards cordially since I seen some views about my books. I expected some kind of flack with the high amounts. That's why I tried to make you understand where I'm coming from but it's clear that you can't see that. But really don't bother to place a bid I don't want it.

Look I have these books up at auction if interested place an offer, if not that's fine. It gets redundant hearing you trying to continuously make the same point. I GET IT!!! It's like you do this to hear yourself talk. It's just a comic book and an auction. Not a big deal!!! You can do one of two things, I'm trying to help you here: #1 Place an offer or #2 Do not place an offer. It's quite a simple concept once you do it a couple of times it's really easy. Plain and simple. You know what dude do me a favor don't place an offer I don't need your money or your attitude. I came on the boards cordially since I seen some views about my books. I expected some kind of flack with the high amounts. That's why I tried to make you understand where I'm coming from but it's clear that you can't see that. But really don't bother to place a bid I don't want it.

You have artfully dodged every question posed you, and instead choose to insist on being a drama queen. Clearly, despite your protestations to the contrary, you very much do not "get it."

Pay very close attention to the words I am about to type: no one knows what you want. You have refused to answer...several times...what you REALISTICALLY expect for these, what you would accept...so no one's going to bother making any offer. How can anyone "understand" where you're coming from, when your start offer is ludicrous and laughable, and you refuse to state what range you would accept?

As far as making an offer...why do you imagine I would? And if I did, why do you imagine you would know it is me...? I have already told you what I would offer, and you have said it's not enough. So what's your point, son?

This isn't about me, so stop focusing on me. Being a drama queen about this isn't going to win you any fans...guaranteed.

(thumbs u

My question was for you, too.

How much do YOU believe that the original art cover to Maxx #1/2 is worth?

You know what's funny? Over on the CPG site i read an argument that the #3 Black should be the least valued based chronigically...meaning a number 1 is more important in the series than number three. And the Admin only going by the one sale from last year (which half the people didn't even see) set the price at $150...so arbitrary that 1 or 2 uninformed individuals can establish a price :P

I couldn't find the source, but they also cite a 'rumoured' sale for a number 1 at $800, anyone catch wind of that?

You know what's funny? Over on the CPG site i read an argument that the #3 Black should be the least valued based chronigically...meaning a number 1 is more important in the series than number three. And the Admin only going by the one sale from last year (which half the people didn't even see) set the price at $150...so arbitrary that 1 or 2 uninformed individuals can establish a price :P

I couldn't find the source, but they also cite a 'rumoured' sale for a number 1 at $800, anyone catch wind of that?

:hi: That 762 poster was me. As I stated there, the price guide was setting their values based on actual sales which is not an accurate representation when you only have five recorded sales that can be found. I'm open to your ideas so please let me know which parts of the post you don't agree with and I'll explain.

:hi: That 762 poster was me. As I stated there, the price guide was setting their values based on actual sales which is not an accurate representation when you only have five recorded sales that can be found. I'm open to your ideas so please let me know which parts of the post you don't agree with and I'll explain.

I guess I gotta go check this out...

:popcorn:

I guess I gotta go check this out...

:popcorn:

Oh no, I feel a virtual beat down coming...