• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Maxx #3 Black - Research
4 4

462 posts in this topic

Ok, lemme respond to this:

I wouldn't be able to offer an opinion on value for those three books but I can tell you that the standard for a price guide is that the #1 issue is usually the highest with descending issues dropping in increments unless the descending issues contain something special like an origin or first appearance or other significant event. And the Maxx #2 and #3 do not. The print run is also the same for all three. There is only one recorded sale for any black ashcan on GPA and that is for the Q 8.5 #2 at $510. A raw black #3 sold in October 2009 for $150 on Ebay but that sale has not been recorded on GPA as of now. There are no recorded sales for a #1 that I can find anywhere although I know that one was BIN'd off Ebay in 2006. It was mentioned that one individual owns multiple copies of #2. Is it not possible that there are others hoarding multiples of #1 and #3? And if those CPG values are based solely on the one $510 sale, then that is not an accurate reflection since there are only 3 or 4 recorded sales of all three issues. I say recorded, as opposed to "I've seen these sell from time to time..."

As far as "is it not possible that someone is hoarding multiples of #1 and #3"...well, I suppose, but since my find was absolutely random, and obtained directly from the Image offices, I doubt it. It's not as if I carefully obtained these over the years...I bought all 11 at once, in one place (and boy, was I excited when I did.) If it were not for that buy, I would not own a single black.

I have three recorded sales of Maxx #2 Blacks, the one 8.5 for $510, the one for $310, and the one for $179. Oftimespast listed, then ended, another #2, in Jan 2008. There was another #2 listed that year, too

The #1 has been sold at least 3 times on eBay, including the one you bvought in 2006:

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/the-maxx-1-black-ashcan-artist-proof-signed-sam

It's at least 3, as I bid on the other two.

And, of course, the #3 that sold to spreads last year.

So that's 9 recorded sales. Now, before you say "those are yeah, I've seen them from time to time," remember that eBay has records of everything that's ever been listed going back to at least 1998. They offer this info for sale at ridiculous amounts, but it DOES exist.

Here's some recorded sales of Maxx ashcans:

http://www.worthpoint.com/inventory/search;jsessionid=48F46E0838AAE0F8700F72B3CD572EF9?query=maxx+ashcan&_action_search=Submit&adquery=Search+Price+Guide&categoryurl=&img=yes

http://comics.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=12111&Lot_No=30636&src=pr#

Heritage Auction, #1 Yellow, $36, 2002

http://comics.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=12111&Lot_No=30635

#2 Blue, $37, 2002

You know what's funny? Over on the CPG site i read an argument that the #3 Black should be the least valued based chronigically...meaning a number 1 is more important in the series than number three. And the Admin only going by the one sale from last year (which half the people didn't even see) set the price at $150...so arbitrary that 1 or 2 uninformed individuals can establish a price :P

I couldn't find the source, but they also cite a 'rumoured' sale for a number 1 at $800, anyone catch wind of that?

:hi: That 762 poster was me. As I stated there, the price guide was setting their values based on actual sales which is not an accurate representation when you only have five recorded sales that can be found. I'm open to your ideas so please let me know which parts of the post you don't agree with and I'll explain.

Nothing in particular, more the commentary on how one person can base a price off 'one person's' opinion, similar to how you pointed out about lack of data for value.

One thing's for sure, the prices are 'all over the map' someone pays $85 for a #1 Red from vikes and $200 for a number two red in another instance, yet when I list a number 3 with a 150 BIN and Offers, I don't get any interest at all.

Actually that's not true, some by the name of bunnytoe or bunnyfoot kept lowballing me offers, cancelling the offers and then re-offering lower, it got old so i blocked him. The other offer was from Vikes, $50 for my yellow...my reply? 'Yeah right so you can immediately re-list it with a $200 BIN listed as NM/M, no thanks!

Edited by spreads

You know what's funny? Over on the CPG site i read an argument that the #3 Black should be the least valued based chronigically...meaning a number 1 is more important in the series than number three. And the Admin only going by the one sale from last year (which half the people didn't even see) set the price at $150...so arbitrary that 1 or 2 uninformed individuals can establish a price :P

I couldn't find the source, but they also cite a 'rumoured' sale for a number 1 at $800, anyone catch wind of that?

:hi: That 762 poster was me. As I stated there, the price guide was setting their values based on actual sales which is not an accurate representation when you only have five recorded sales that can be found. I'm open to your ideas so please let me know which parts of the post you don't agree with and I'll explain.

Nothing in particular, more the commentary on how one person can base a price off 'one person's' opinion, similar to how you pointed out about lack of data for value.

One thing's for sure, the prices are 'all over the map' someone pays $85 for a #1 Red from vikes and $200 for a number two red in another instance, yet when I list a number 3 with a 150 BIN and Offers, I don't get any interest at all.

I'm interested....just not for that much.

;)

Actually that's not true, some by the name of bunnytoe or bunnyfoot kept lowballing me offers, cancelling the offers and then re-offering lower, it got old so i blocked him. The other offer was from Vikes, $50 for my yellow...my reply? 'Yeah right so you can immediately re-list it with a $200 BIN listed as NM/M, no thanks!

lol

Vikes sucks.

I hadn't blocked him, so he won a MM lot from me for $285...all F/VF...and he listed them at $499 as "NM/M!"

Douchetacular!

Good points but I stand by what I've said. I believe the #3 black is just as rare as the #1 and #2. There is no evidence to prove otherwise. I can account for four black #3's as of now. RMA, Spreads, and two others. If I can provide images of the other two, would you gents start to believe that these books are out there?

and two others. If I can provide images of the other two, would you gents start to believe that these books are out there?

Yes. I've only been asking for this for years.

Do you have one now?

Four, however, is a lot less than 50.

Let's see what happens when I list my #3.....

Good points but I stand by what I've said. I believe the #3 black is just as rare as the #1 and #2. There is no evidence to prove otherwise.

Sure there is! I discovered ten of #2 in one shot...and this from a seller who had no clue what they had, and frequently threw out books that they didn't think they could sell, including several hundred of the OTHER Image ashcans (Stormwatch, Brigade, etc.)

Has anyone ever seen TEN #3s from any source?

#1, sure, no problem. I think #1 and #2 are as common as each other. #2, I can account for at least 13 copies, my ten, at least one of yours, and the one that oftimespast listed.

Quit holding out, here. I've been straightforward about what I have, how I got it, how much I paid, and what I've done with it. I could very, very easily have withheld how many black #2s I own, and pretended I only had one or two, to manipulate the market for my benefit, but I didn't. I laid it all out there, because knowledge is more important to me than profit.

You, however, have been very close to the vest about what you have, what you've seen, and what you know about.

I respectfully ask you to cut it out so the scholarship of these books is advanced.

And I say that with the utmost respect and collegial humor. ;)

and two others. If I can provide images of the other two, would you gents start to believe that these books are out there?

Yes. I've only been asking for this for years.

Do you have one now?

Four, however, is a lot less than 50.

Let's see what happens when I list my #3.....

I didn't know about the four #3's for years. I will request those scans from the owners now.

Good points but I stand by what I've said. I believe the #3 black is just as rare as the #1 and #2. There is no evidence to prove otherwise.

Sure there is! I discovered ten of #2 in one shot...and this from a seller who had no clue what they had, and frequently threw out books that they didn't think they could sell, including several hundred of the OTHER Image ashcans (Stormwatch, Brigade, etc.)

#1, sure, no problem. I think #1 and #2 are as common as each other. #2, I can account for at least 13 copies, my ten, at least one of yours, and the one that oftimespast listed.

Quit holding out, here. I've been straightforward about what I have, how I got it, how much I paid, and what I've done with it. I could very, very easily have withheld how many black #2s I own, and pretended I only had one or two, to manipulate the market for my benefit, but I didn't. I laid it all out there, because knowledge is more important to me than profit.

You, however, have been very close to the vest about what you have, what you've seen, and what you know about.

I respectfully ask you to cut it out so the scholarship of these books is advanced.

:grin: I'm not holding out, I'm happy to share information about what I have but not from those who wish to remain private. I have requested those scans and their purchase prices and the locations just for you RMA.

:grin: I'm not holding out, I'm happy to share information about what I have but not from those who wish to remain private. I have requested those scans and their purchase prices and the locations just for you RMA.

People can remain anonymous and still share information. Happens all the time in other fields. Lots of "held by anonymous collector" details out there.

But thank you. ;)

I completely agree but there are some collectors who are eccentric (imagine that) and are very private right down to a twenty-dollar sale. I believe I can get this info to you and this thread soon.

Bunnytoe, huh? This guy has some or all of the ashcans...

I really wish I didn't have the feeling that people are holding out in this thread.... ;)

Do you think he has some left to sell? I really think there is more stuff going behind the scenes with these effin' things then anything else...here's one for you, why are you contemplating selling your black 3?

Just a quick question...

What does everyone believe that the original, one-of-a-kind, hand-drawn by the artist cover for Maxx #1/2 would be worth?

Take that price, divide by 10. That's probably a fair guess on a comic with 10 copies.

That is a fair analogy. Original comic art covers and pages do a fraction of the asking price for these books.

I'd say the original art to Maxx 1/2 would be about $5-7K. Albert Moy has the cover to Detective #656 for $4500, and the cover to MCP #99, the Byrne homage, for $8K.

If these were official, released books, I'd agree, but prototypes always do a bit less than official books.

I think that value is accurate (and wish I had the scratch to throw away at that Byrne homage), but there is one variable which could skew that piece tremendously, if it was offered by itself. That variable is that no published Maxx art has been publicly sold, and as everyone in this thread knows, there are some Maxx nuts out there. Good to see this thread pick back up, even if it is ineffectual discourse at the moment. (I do like those 1/2's, but there is not a soul alive who likes them for 20K. Not if they were 9.8 SS'd by Jack Kirby, Elvis, and the Taco Bell chihuahua.)

The cover to Darker Image #1 sold on Moys site and I can't believe I missed it.

I did not know that! Do you know what it went for? What a lucky buyer, to have that picture of Bloodwulf...

Bunnytoe, huh? This guy has some or all of the ashcans...

I really wish I didn't have the feeling that people are holding out in this thread.... ;)

Do you think he has some left to sell? I really think there is more stuff going behind the scenes with these effin' things then anything else...here's one for you, why are you contemplating selling your black 3?

Cause I need a new roof. ;)

The cover to Darker Image #1 sold on Moys site and I can't believe I missed it.

I did not know that! Do you know what it went for? What a lucky buyer, to have that picture of Bloodwulf...

IIRC, it was priced in the $6500-7000 range.

BTW, kudos to this thread for gaining some legs.

Guest Grails

I'm a little late but I've been in jail in Mexico. No, I'm not kidding.

Anyway, I am unable to provide any info other than this book was purchased in a complete set in 2002. The set is still together. My request for a scan of the other #3 was denied.

M3.jpg