• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scam alert -- Superman #1

25 posts in this topic

Not sure if this meets posting guidelines, but --

Scam Auction THIS SALE is a scam!

The seller tries to feign innocence, but a minimum of research would easily reveal that this is a 1970's reprint with the outer cover torn off.

Sadly, I have seen this scam many, many times on eBay. Every time I see it, I report it to eBay and they do NOTHING.

I also inform the seller, who usually offers the verbal equivalent of a shrug and keeps the auction going.

(I saw a seller do this last year and somebody bid on a reprint of Action #1 to the tune of over $4,000... And naturally the seller had him Western Union him the money...)

Maybe if everybody reports this to eBay they'll take action? I dunno, but it sickens me every time I see this. I am sure somebody will say "caveat emptor," but I don't think people should be allowed to pull garbage like this.

seller is clearly a crook.

look.. he sells comic books.. he has an obvious knowledge of "High Grade" "NM-M" "3rd Variant"

so he certainly knows all about comic books and yet this one.. he knows nothing!

it is a clear NM-M copy, but he doesn't use the phrase on that one listing, though he does on others.

couldn't more obviously be someone trying to decieve and cheat..

Okay, so the seller emailed me back and told me he had no idea of the situation. I might be jumping the gun in thinking he is intentionally trying to fool people. It sounds like he really does have no idea what it is. (A Famous First Edition from 1979 with the outer cover torn off)

"HERE IT IS!!! ANOTHER ONE OF MY TREASURE FINDS... I BOUGHT THIS BOOK OFF SOME OLD GUY SELLING A BUNCH OF OLD MAGS AND . HE HAD IT IN A PLASTIC BAG THAT LOOKED LIKE IT HADNT BEEN TOUCHED FOR A LONG LONG TIME SO THE BOOKS IN GREAT SHAPE!!!! I WENT OVER THIS BOOK A DOZEN TIMES AND THE ONLY DATE I CAN FIND ON IT IS 1939. THIS BOOK IS ALSO A LITTLE BIGGER THEN MY MODERN DAY COMICS SO YOUR GUESS IS AS GOOD AS MINE....HAPPY BIDDING"

His use of upper case for all of his text has convinced me that he is only slightly misguided. :insane:

Thanks...and well done.

After giving it a little more thought, I am inclined to think the seller actually did know what he was doing. A common pattern among these sellers is the use of "plausible deniability" in their wording. They tend to pre-emptively claim ignorance of what something is. Another common pattern I've noticed is that, when contacted, they tend to say "Thanks for the info!" and then keep the listing up without alteration. (The last person who did this ended up getting about $150 for a reprint worth about $2.)

From what I have seen, eBay doesn't act on these matters quickly. It usually takes the buyer complaining and lodging a PayPal report for something to happen, and often by then it's too late (if the seller can convince the buyer to send payment outside of PayPal, which has become trickier since eBay tightened their proceure). eBay might take more notice if they get multiple complaints from multiple accounts.

I don't know if there is a "scam" thread in this forum, but you can re-use this one if another similar listing comes along.

there are many tell tale signs this is the 74 FFE copy (thumbs u

Ok, I'll play. I'm not a Gold Age collector. What are the tell tale signs on this book?

And yes, no way I guy who is knowledgable in comics doesn't list this with a grade to maximize profits.

Ok, I'll play. I'm not a Gold Age collector. What are the tell tale signs on this book?

And yes, no way I guy who is knowledgable in comics doesn't list this with a grade to maximize profits.

the 2 easiest ways to tell (outside of paper stock and the size) are

1)on a reprint, the back pin up page does NOT have the dotted lines (cut along lines)...the reprint is solid red

2)on a reprint, the red 1 of the 10c price touches the black box, where as on an original, there is white space between the black box and the red 1

the seller still has this on ebay and has added a note. I'm pretty sure he knows exactly what he is doing. His note makes me believe he hopes two people might bid against each other just in case this really is the original.

Says he never claimed it was the original but why put SUPERMAN 1 1939 in your main heading than?

Sad that ebay seems to just let this stuff slide.

1)on a reprint, the back pin up page does NOT have the dotted lines (cut along lines)...the reprint is solid red

2)on a reprint, the red 1 of the 10c price touches the black box, where as on an original, there is white space between the black box and the red 1

Good Stuff Detective27Kid.

aside from being the FFE, and the 2 things that D27Kid points out.. the main thing that tells you he's a scammer:

HE'S SELLING A NM SUPE #1 FOR A FEW DOLLARS.

and yet he knows well what his other books are..

"I know all my other books.. but a Superman #1 ?? Why would I know anything about that comic??"

after that, it's elementary my dear Watson

Yes, Detective Kid is correct. These are oversized issues and easy to spot. They are about 13-1/2" X 10 " according to Overstreet. (thumbs u

DRX