• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coke Zero Banned

70 posts in this topic

CARACAS (AFP) - Coca-Cola pulled its no-calorie Coke Zero from shelves in Venezuela Thursday on Health Ministry orders, as the local bottler insisted it was safe to drink.

ADVERTISEMENT

"This product must be taken off the market to safeguard Venezuelans' health" as it has "an ingredient that can be harmful to people," Health Minister Jesus Mantilla, said a day earlier, according to the state news agency ABN.

The move took Zero, which has been sold in Venezuela for just a few months, out of all businesses nationwide, in this country led by leftist President Hugo Chavez, a staunch critic of the United States and market economics.

Coke and its local bottler Femsa "declare that Coca-Cola Zero has no ingredient that could be harmful to human health," in a statement run in local media Thursday.

Coca-Cola said the sugarless soft drink met all standards in Venezuela but still suspended production of Zero pending a government investigation of its ingredients.

My wifes brother swears by the stuff. I only like it when it is ice cold. As soon as it warms up a little I can taste the lack of sugar and need pepsi or regular coke.
I prefer it cold too