• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vacation time is here so DETECTIVE COMICS # 36 IS ON THE MARKET!+few more books

29 posts in this topic

Detective36.jpg

This is the 3rd Guy Holcombe book to appear on the boards in the last few weeks. First we saw Foolkiller's Batman #2, then Bedrock's Captain America #13, and now the 'Tec #36.

I did a little research, and here's what I found out about Guy Holcombe...

Dr. Guy T. Holcombe Jr., 76, of Oxford, died on Thursday, July 15, 2004 at his home. Born on June 27, 1928, he was the son of the late Dr. Guy T. Sr. and Jenie F. Moser Holcombe. Dr. Holcombe practiced medicine in Oxford from 1958 until the time of his retirement in 1990. During that time he delivered over 2,000 babies in the Oxford area. He was a graduate of Oxford High School, Dickenson College and the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine. He served as a physician in the U.S. Navy from 1956 to 1958, where he was detailed to the U.S. Marine Corp in Quantico, Va. He was a member of the Chester County Medical Society and the Pennsylvania Medical Society. He served on the Board of Directors of the Industrial Valley Bank from 1964 to 1986 and on the Board of Directors of the Peoples Bank of Oxford from 1989 to 2000. He sat on the Board of Directors of the Oxford Cemetery Association from 2002 to 2004. He was a member of Oxford Masonic Lodge #353, Harrisburg Consistory 32, Zembo Shrine. He was a Life Member of the Oxford Fire Company. Dr. Holcombe was an avid hunter and fisherman and a longtime fan of the Baltimore Colts and Orioles. He is survived by his wife of 50 years, Helen Cochran Holcombe; three sons, Guy Holcombe III and his wife Vicki of Alexandria, Va., Curtis Holcombe and his wife Lee of Rising Sun, Md. and Chester Earhart and his wife Ruth of Quarryville; a daughter, Lynn Johnston and her husband David of New London; six grandchildren, Gammon, Justin, Joshua, Benjamin, Ellie and Rhianon and one great grandchild. He was preceded in death by a sister, Betty Grier. At Dr. Holcombes request, funeral services will be for family members only. Interment will be private in the Oxford Cemetery. In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the Holcombe Collection at the Oxford Public Library, 48 Second Street, Oxford, PA or the American Cancer Society, 1615 West Chester Pike, Suite 102, West Chester, PA 19382. Arrangements are being handled by Edward L. Collins Funeral Home Inc., Oxford.

Detective36.jpg

This is the 3rd Guy Holcombe book to appear on the boards in the last few weeks. First we saw Foolkiller's Batman #2, then Bedrock's Captain America #13, and now the 'Tec #36.

Dr. Guy T. Holcombe Jr., 76, of Oxford, died on Thursday, July 15, 2004 at his home. Born on June 27, 1928, he was the son of the late Dr. Guy T. Sr. and Jenie F. Moser Holcombe. Dr. Holcombe practiced medicine in Oxford from 1958 until the time of his retirement in 1990. During that time he delivered over 2,000 babies in the Oxford area. He was a graduate of Oxford High School, Dickenson College and the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine. He served as a physician in the U.S. Navy from 1956 to 1958, where he was detailed to the U.S. Marine Corp in Quantico, Va. He was a member of the Chester County Medical Society and the Pennsylvania Medical Society. He served on the Board of Directors of the Industrial Valley Bank from 1964 to 1986 and on the Board of Directors of the Peoples Bank of Oxford from 1989 to 2000. He sat on the Board of Directors of the Oxford Cemetery Association from 2002 to 2004. He was a member of Oxford Masonic Lodge #353, Harrisburg Consistory 32, Zembo Shrine. He was a Life Member of the Oxford Fire Company. Dr. Holcombe was an avid hunter and fisherman and a longtime fan of the Baltimore Colts and Orioles. He is survived by his wife of 50 years, Helen Cochran Holcombe; three sons, Guy Holcombe III and his wife Vicki of Alexandria, Va., Curtis Holcombe and his wife Lee of Rising Sun, Md. and Chester Earhart and his wife Ruth of Quarryville; a daughter, Lynn Johnston and her husband David of New London; six grandchildren, Gammon, Justin, Joshua, Benjamin, Ellie and Rhianon and one great grandchild. He was preceded in death by a sister, Betty Grier. At Dr. Holcombes request, funeral services will be for family members only. Interment will be private in the Oxford Cemetery. In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the Holcombe Collection at the Oxford Public Library, 48 Second Street, Oxford, PA or the American Cancer Society, 1615 West Chester Pike, Suite 102, West Chester, PA 19382. Arrangements are being handled by Edward L. Collins Funeral Home Inc., Oxford.

Thanks for the history, I was wondering about that signature. Hmm it got me thinking, maybe I should start signing my name hm in some of my GA titles and then people will research me say 50 years from now.... :devil:

:jokealert:

Superman # 5 CGC 1.0 Off-white to White Pages (dont have a pic at the moment cause the scanner is dead- and my father took my digital camera with him :sorry: ) anyway, the grade does not do the book justice. It should (IMO) be at least a 1.8. They knock the grade down because of a tear at the top where the N on Superman is. The N is partailly torn out. If that was there CGC would have gave it a higher grade for sure. As soon as I have some type of camera in hand I will have a pic. Asking is $ 495 :takeit: gets it, everything else the same. Again a Pic will be up soon enough, Thanks

Reduction for Superman as well price now $ 435 (pic tomorrow when I have my camera back)

Pics are finally here, sorry that it can only be from my G1 phone though...

1245810928264.jpg

Final price reduction , now $400

TTA35.jpg

Time for at least one book at under guide, Tale to Astonish 35 (Key, 1st AntMan in costume) at about VG+ range (at least) price $ 300 shipping (for U.S. buyers only) only $ 5 Canadian ($ 11- which is about half of what it would cost), everything else the same as above.

Reduced to $275

Last reduction for this key, now $250- for under guide value!

adv79.jpg

The very Scarce Adventure comics 79 at about Vg (to maybe VG+) condition. Tape on the spine is what keeps the grade this low. Off-white pages (IMO) Classic Manhunter cover! They dont get too much better than this. Asking $ 1200, offers considered of course, will be out pretty much most of the day so I might not be able to get to answer questions right away - but eventually I will, Thanks Everything else the same with payments and shipping.

Reduced , now asking 1k

wow, no takes on this, how about $ 900 ?

Last reduction $800

Detective36.jpg

Thanks for the history, I was wondering about that signature. Hmm it got me thinking, maybe I should start signing my name hm in some of my GA titles and then people will research me say 50 years from now.... :devil:

Final reduction on the tec $2900 then after the weekend it will be off the market

:jokealert:

TTA35.jpg

Time for at least one book at under guide, Tale to Astonish 35 (Key, 1st AntMan in costume) at about VG+ range (at least) price $ 300 shipping (for U.S. buyers only) only $ 5 Canadian ($ 11- which is about half of what it would cost), everything else the same as above.

Reduced to $275

Last reduction for this key, now $250- for under guide value!

You do realize that you already reduced this book to $245 earlier in the thread... :gossip: