• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why do you think John Romita jr. doesn't get love?

62 posts in this topic

Whenever discussion of great artists comes up I always throw his name out there but I never hear an echoes lol.

His art was the first that hooked me into collecting with IM 120. I had never before (and haven't since either) seen his equal in making IM look awsome. His fight scenes are dramatic and powerfull. Layton and he were far and away the best team I've seen.

It's all subjective anyway but I'm just curious why nobody else seems to share my :cloud9:

ps, what a bummer that I missed the Charlotte con. Very poor planning on my part....

I've always had a love/hate relationship with his art. Sometimes it just clicks, sometimes it looks garbled and choppy. In reality, it could be the inkers that work on him. I know that I generally like his stuff with Al Williamson. I know that I enjoyed his take on the Last Fantastic Four Story (I'd love to get my hands on some of those pages) but I can't recall who did the inks.

I've never been an Iron Man fan, so I've got no reference for his work with Layton. (shrug)

I liked his stuff when he was doing UXM...but he was never in my top 5 artists.

I like him less and less because his art has become more stylized, much more stylized than when he did IM in the 70's or Spider-Man in the 80's. Look at the work he turned in on the Thor reboot in the late 90's, early 2000s. The writing on the first 12 issue arc was very good (I thought) but the art didn't seem to complement it. I do think JrJr works better on series like Kick*Hass.

His ASM stuff in the 80s was more consistent, less stylized. Now, I'm hot / cold with his work on Spider-Man. Sometimes it looks like a choppy version of Bagley's USM, and I'm ok with it; other times, it just doesn't do it for me.

Seanfingh pretty much covered my sentiments regarding JRJR. His art works with gritty, urban themes; not so much with capes. His run on Punisher War Zone, for example, was great and complemented the character. Spider Man? No thanks.

He was good back in the day, but in the last 20 years his art seems like it was drawn by someone beginning art school. Everything is square and everyone looks exactly the same.

I WWH I couldn't distinguish the Hulks face from the Sentry except the hulks was green. Bruce Banner and Rick Jones looked the same.

I used to rate him as a top 10 artist. Now I think he rates below your average staff artist.

IMO.

I always liked his older stuff.

And his new stuff isn't the best to me but at least I can live with his new stuff...

John Byrne on the other hand just took a nose dive into bad illustrator infamy -

so bad that I can't even bare to look at!

:insane:

I liked his work on DD and X-Men, but his father is the greatest Spider-Man artist of all time. :cloud9:

His work on Iron Man with Bob Layton was awesome. Really enjoyed his work on Amazing Spider-Man around the issue 215 mark on.

Not a fan of his new stuff. Too angular. People are not cobbled shapes of geometry objects. Additionally, the proportions are off. Feet too long, ankles too small.

506.jpg