• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,201 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Bird said:

I have done time payments both as a seller and buyer. I say this, or something like it, when selling "Tell me how long you want to pay (6 months or so tops) and we can likely work a schedule out. 20% down, and that is nonrefundable. I will then hold the book(s) or art and will email you each time I receive a payment with the dates and updated balance due. If you fail to make a payment and then 30 days passes without you catching up the deal is off and I will refund you money that you have paid minus the 20%. You will receive the books or art when all payments have been received and the total price has been paid. I believe that this way if fair to us both regarding time payments." That was off the top of my head but something like it has worked in the past for me.

Nice ring to it. Thanks.  (thumbsu

On 7/30/2018 at 7:57 PM, Bird said:

I have done time payments both as a seller and buyer. I say this, or something like it, when selling "Tell me how long you want to pay (6 months or so tops) and we can likely work a schedule out. 20% down, and that is nonrefundable. I will then hold the book(s) or art and will email you each time I receive a payment with the dates and updated balance due. If you fail to make a payment and then 30 days passes without you catching up the deal is off and I will refund you money that you have paid minus the 20%. You will receive the books or art when all payments have been received and the total price has been paid. I believe that this way if fair to us both regarding time payments." That was off the top of my head but something like it has worked in the past for me.

That is certainly a nice incentive for the buyer to make his payments. Definitely sounds fair. 

22 hours ago, wombat said:
On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 4:57 PM, Bird said:

That is certainly a nice incentive for the buyer to make his payments. Definitely sounds fair. 

to encourage on-time payment, you could also charge a small fee for late payments, like $5 or $10 or some percentage of the late amount.  Those fees are non-refundable.  If the late fee AND the owed principal are not paid by the time the next payment is due, all funds are returned except the non-refundable deposit and any late fees that have been paid. 

22 hours ago, wombat said:

3 minutes ago, revat said:

to encourage on-time payment, you could also charge a small fee for late payments, like $5 or $10 or some percentage of the late amount.  Those fees are non-refundable.  If the late fee AND the owed principal are not paid by the time the next payment is due, all funds are returned except the non-refundable deposit and any late fees that have been paid. 

Yeah, it really is immaterial which way you go as long as you do it somehow. You have to make it important to pay and you have to be compensated for placing the piece on hold and taking it off the market in the event of a non payment. It was hard to work out but in the final terms I generally double the time frame because life happens. But I am not a dealer and keeping it in my closet is no big deal to me. I think I have given time payments to two or three people and it has worked out. I really do not want to just take someone's money and keep my art but you have to have a firm agreement in place. It keeps things mellow.

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 8:11 PM, Bird said:

Yeah, it really is immaterial which way you go as long as you do it somehow. You have to make it important to pay and you have to be compensated for placing the piece on hold and taking it off the market in the event of a non payment. It was hard to work out but in the final terms I generally double the time frame because life happens. But I am not a dealer and keeping it in my closet is no big deal to me. I think I have given time payments to two or three people and it has worked out. I really do not want to just take someone's money and keep my art but you have to have a firm agreement in place. It keeps things mellow.

I use the non refundable 20% deposit but I allow the person to transfer that amount to another book or books of that value.... that way I'm not taking something for nothing when a person is likely already having difficulties. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

I posted this in the general discussion thread but felt it's more appropriate here:

Can I get some clarification on someone posting :takeit: for a book, and then later editing their post days later saying they changed their mind?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this against marketplace guidelines? I believe it is, but I don't see this type of thing addressed anywhere. Or at least I don't think...

Edited by Lucid Enigma

1 hour ago, Lucid Enigma said:

I posted this in the general discussion thread but felt it's more appropriate here:

Can I get some clarification on someone posting :takeit: for a book, and then later editing their post days later saying they changed their mind?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this against marketplace guidelines? I believe it is, but I don't see this type of thing addressed anywhere. Or at least I don't think...

I'm 99.99% sure that I read this in one of the forum guidelines. IIRC, it said something along the lines of, "redacting 'I'll take it!' will result in Probation/HOS."

People: If you haven't budgeted correctly or are not 100% sure that you're financially able to purchase a book, do not claim the book.

Sellers give buyers a fair time frame to both work out a deal, and time to get your cash together. Be responsible and don't shaft other buyers, and sellers, out of transactions.

If you don't adhere to my above rant then I will b%^&* slap you.

1 hour ago, Lucid Enigma said:

It should be..... hard to prove though. I know I would never stiff anyone who lives in VA Beach ….with all that traffic you guys deal with over there you might snap and go Postal on a MoFo  :baiting: …. good topic for discussion, it should be a violation. I've got no problem with a polite PM asking to back out, but editing a post to force the issue isn't horribly cool. GOD BLESS...

6 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

It should be..... hard to prove though. I know I would never stiff anyone who lives in VA Beach ….with all that traffic you guys deal with over there you might snap and go Postal on a MoFo  :baiting: …. good topic for discussion, it should be a violation. I've got no problem with a polite PM asking to back out, but editing a post to force the issue isn't horribly cool. GOD BLESS...

Born and raised in VB. I've learned to deal with the traffic. Snapping and going postal on a mofo though... still working on it :devil: :wink:

3 hours ago, Lucid Enigma said:

Born and raised in VB. I've learned to deal with the traffic. Snapping and going postal on a mofo though... still working on it :devil: :wink:

Which shop do you go to ? I know most of the guys over there. My two main ones this side are Bender's and Comic Cubicle. GOD BLESS...

I'd like to nominate retrocomics to the HOS/PL.  His selling thread was started on 08/28/18 and as far as I know, he has not shipped any items as multiple members have complained and already started chargebacks.  Multiple members have sent PM's with no response.  I paid on August 28th with a discussion at that time from Jeremy Smith aka retrocomics.  A follow up PM sent on 9/12/18 with the message not being opened.  Last correspondence in thread on 9/17/18 with him mentioning something about his Grandparents home being flooded and him going to help.  Also tried emailing him on 10/1/18 through the Paypal address with no response.  Sent another PM on 10/09/18 to start HOS/PL procedure with no response. 

On 10/12/2018 at 12:22 PM, Keys_Collector said:

I'd like to nominate retrocomics to the HOS/PL.  His selling thread was started on 08/28/18 and as far as I know, he has not shipped any items as multiple members have complained and already started chargebacks.  Multiple members have sent PM's with no response.  I paid on August 28th with a discussion at that time from Jeremy Smith aka retrocomics.  A follow up PM sent on 9/12/18 with the message not being opened.  Last correspondence in thread on 9/17/18 with him mentioning something about his Grandparents home being flooded and him going to help.  Also tried emailing him on 10/1/18 through the Paypal address with no response.  Sent another PM on 10/09/18 to start HOS/PL procedure with no response. 

You have to start a separate thread titled: “Nominating Retrocomics”

I'm running across another issue. I'm attracting winners lately and the selling on these boards are just starting to die on me

Anyways. What would the corrective action be if a buyer sends a money order, doesn't sign it and doesn't provide his address on the money order like he was supposed to, but is constantly trying to get me to cash it/deposit it without it? I've taken it around so many times and no one is taking it and the buyer continues to accuse me of lying that I can't cash it/deposit it or that there's something wrong with my bank. Obviously he tried to pay but was negligent toward filling the thing out correctly. I don't think it'd be deserving of the PL because he did try to pay, but he's starting to avoid any actions I've provided to fix the issue and we can't come to any resolution because like I've said, he's deflected everything toward me and avoiding addressing the fact that he failed to sign it. The PMs we've got going is pretty entertaining, but I wanted to get some opinions first because I'm really leaning toward nominating him to the HoS for what is beginning to transpire

7 minutes ago, Lucid Enigma said:

I'm running across another issue. I'm attracting winners lately and the selling on these boards are just starting to die on me

Anyways. What would the corrective action be if a buyer sends a money order, doesn't sign it and doesn't provide his address on the money order like he was supposed to, but is constantly trying to get me to cash it/deposit it without it? I've taken it around so many times and no one is taking it and the buyer continues to accuse me of lying that I can't cash it/deposit it or that there's something wrong with my bank. Obviously he tried to pay but was negligent toward filling the thing out correctly. I don't think it'd be deserving of the PL because he did try to pay, but he's starting to avoid any actions I've provided to fix the issue and we can't come to any resolution because like I've said, he's deflected everything toward me and avoiding addressing the fact that he failed to sign it. The PMs we've got going is pretty entertaining, but I wanted to get some opinions first because I'm really leaning toward nominating him to the HoS for what is beginning to transpire

My bank holds Postal MO's longer than they do checks, they say too many are forgeries, way more than checks are forged. I'd be leery about filling something out on one. When I've tried to cash them at PO's most don't have the money, people pay with credit cards.

Why not just mail it back to him? Let him fix it and send it back to you.

Edited by skypinkblu
it would be nice if I could spell;)

Just now, skypinkblu said:

My bank hold Postal MO's longer than they do checks, they say too many are forgeries, way more than checks are forged. I'd be leery about filling something out on one. When I've tried to cash them at PO's most don't have the money, people pay with credit cards.

Why not just mail it back to him? Let him fix it and send it back to you.

One of the options I gave him. Asked him for his address to send it back to him since I lost the return address when he sent it. But unsurprisingly, he avoided and completely ignored this solution

3 minutes ago, Lucid Enigma said:

One of the options I gave him. Asked him for his address to send it back to him since I lost the return address when he sent it. But unsurprisingly, he avoided and completely ignored this solution

How does he/she expect you to get the book to him if you don't have their  address.?

The other issue with PO money orders, seems to be money laundering. I'm not saying that is what this person is doing, it's most probably just miscommunication, but you need to protect yourself. Also if you take a PO money order and deposit it, my bank says it can bounce MONTHS later...so  I only cash them at Post Offices. I rarely get them, so it's not much of an issue anymore, but a few years ago one person paid for everything they bought that way.

Edited by skypinkblu
spelling

1 minute ago, skypinkblu said:

How does he/she expect you to get the book to him if you don't have their  address.?

The other issue with PO money orders, seems to be money laundering. I'm not saying that is what this person is doing, it's most probably just miscommunication, but you need to protect yourself. Also if you take a PO money order and deposit it, my bank says it can bounce MONTHS later...so  I only cash them at Post Offices. I rarely get them, so it's not much of an issue anymore, but a few years ago one person paid for everything they bought that way.

Exactly. 

And actually he didn't send me a PO money order, but a moneygram