• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,202 posts in this topic

I've never had to list someone on here but on August 25th, "Rogueiconic" claimed 3 books in this thread.

He hasn't been online since, so I hope all is ok but I sent a follow up message September 7th that payment was due. Obviously never read.

I'm guessing though, being a low post count member, he may not be back. So would it be 30 days from September 7th, that he would be eligible for the probation list?

Howdy  folks,   

I  need a  little guidance here. 

Back in May  I  nominated  EmilC  for  probation,  for nonpayment  for  a  pile  of  comics in    a  spring  thread,   and   he was  added  to  probation,  
Today,   I  stopped  in  to  look  at  the Boards  for  the first time in several  weeks (Busy  fall, :D ) and  found a PM  from  September 22  from  Emil 
asking  how he can make things  right,  and claiming  various  family  crises  kept him  away.    Well,  so far so good,  but   just  how  can  he  make  amends
when,  better than  six months later,  nearly  all  of the  stuff  he  wanted  has made  its  way  to  other  collectors?

I note in  passing  that   since  spring  I  have  cleared  and organized my  files,    and  found  another  nonpayer  deal from  Emil   back  in 2017.
He bought  as  Konga  7 for  $20  and never paid.  For  one  cheap book   I  didn't bother to  pursue it.

But  that's twice  burned  by  the  same   fellow,  and  I'm not sure  how to go  about  getting  satisfaction  for  the  two  transactions,  
when  the  Konga 7 is long  gone,   and  nearly all of the books  from  this year's thread  have  also  departed.

Suggestions? Discussion?

Edited by catrick339

Here's my thoughts on it Catrick. I think it is possible for personal events to overwhelm a person and keep them from fulfilling obligations. So if the person is of previous good character I think it's reasonable to give them a chance to make things right. In this scenario, they can't make it right, at least as far as honouring the original deal goes. I see that the books had some value, so maybe they could send you a nice bottle of drink to make up for your inconvenience? That would show good faith. 

But the moment you added the second offence element to your post then that sealed it for me. Repeat offender. A board member for 5 years, but a low particpating one with no feedback thread that I can see to support their purchase history here. 

So my view is that you have no business with them now, and the resulting scenario is on them. You have no role to play and they stay on the list. 

28 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

There is a charity thread up for Paul Litch, perhaps a donation there?  It's hard to figure in these circumstances.

Yeah,  I  spotted  it,  and  am  digging  around  for  a  book  or  two  to  offer  up.  And that's not  a  bad  suggestion  at all.  

40 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Here's my thoughts on it Catrick. I think it is possible for personal events to overwhelm a person and keep them from fulfilling obligations. So if the person is of previous good character I think it's reasonable to give them a chance to make things right. In this scenario, they can't make it right, at least as far as honouring the original deal goes. I see that the books had some value, so maybe they could send you a nice bottle of drink to make up for your inconvenience? That would show good faith. 

But the moment you added the second offence element to your post then that sealed it for me. Repeat offender. A board member for 5 years, but a low particpating one with no feedback thread that I can see to support their purchase history here. 

So my view is that you have no business with them now, and the resulting scenario is on them. You have no role to play and they stay on the list. 

All true,  and  once I found the  previous nonpay  I was  a little unhappy  myself.  
But that  allows  no  path  to  redemption   whatsoever.    I'm  leery  of  not   allowing  SOME  way  to  make  things  right  for anybody.  

I  believe  I'll  take   Sky's  advice.  If  EmilC  wants  to   donate  the  total  of both nonpays  to  the  charity  thread   I'll  consider the case  closed.  
But  I believe  he'll go on my  blocked  bidders  list.  

I've  responded  to  EmilC's  PM,   with  this offer.  

IF  he  comes  up  with  a   cash  donation of  $265  to  the  charity thread   and   shows me  proof   I'll  consider  the  matter  closed  and   tell the Mods  to  
let  him  off  the  hook.    I  ALSO    told  him  that  if  he   ever  screws up  again  and  doesn't  promptly  make things  right  I'd  recommend  him  to  the  Hall  Of  Shame.

The  ball  is  now in  his  court,   and  he  can  pay up in full  for  a  good  cause,  or  remain  smack  dab on the  probation list. 

Thanks  Skypinbkblu  for  a  nice  workaround  suggestion. 

Edited by catrick339

15 minutes ago, catrick339 said:

Attention Mods!

Point Five  just  confirmed to me that EmilC  has   spent $300  in the ongoing  charity  thread.
As far as I'm concerned  that squares it.  I'm satisfied,  and he can be released  from  his  probation.

Thanks,  

Rick

Yay, a fair solution and a chance at redemption for Emil. 

On 11/3/2019 at 3:40 AM, catrick339 said:

Attention Mods!

Point Five  just  confirmed to me that EmilC  has   spent $300  in the ongoing  charity  thread.
As far as I'm concerned  that squares it.  I'm satisfied,  and he can be released  from  his  probation.

Thanks,  

Rick

Thanks for this, @catrick339. And thanks to Sha for the suggestion. :=)

I’ve never requested to be removed from the Probation List, even though all previous issues were resolved over a decade ago. 

But given that it looks like Covid-19 will be keeping my brick and mortar shop closed for 8-10 weeks, I’m making that request now. I have several items I’m selling on consignment for customers in the shop that I’d like to see them not have to wait an extra two months. Similar to (though not as big as) the CGC 8.5 Hulk 181 I sold through here last week. Plus I probably have more wall books than I really need.

@Foolkiller was arguably my harshest critic a decade ago (and rightfully so back then), but he stated in the Hulk 181 thread that he’s no longer in that camp. 

I’ve offered several times in the last decade that if there was anyone who got missed when I settled up a decade ago, to please let me know. No one has. I’d like to kick 2007-Lighthouse’s rear end as much as the next guy. But all I can do is be 2020-Lighthouse instead. 

So here’s my post in the discussion thread. I await Greggy’s confused reaction. :)

6 hours ago, lighthouse said:

I’ve never requested to be removed from the Probation List, even though all previous issues were resolved over a decade ago. 

But given that it looks like Covid-19 will be keeping my brick and mortar shop closed for 8-10 weeks, I’m making that request now. I have several items I’m selling on consignment for customers in the shop that I’d like to see them not have to wait an extra two months. Similar to (though not as big as) the CGC 8.5 Hulk 181 I sold through here last week. Plus I probably have more wall books than I really need.

@Foolkiller was arguably my harshest critic a decade ago (and rightfully so back then), but he stated in the Hulk 181 thread that he’s no longer in that camp. 

I’ve offered several times in the last decade that if there was anyone who got missed when I settled up a decade ago, to please let me know. No one has. I’d like to kick 2007-Lighthouse’s rear end as much as the next guy. But all I can do is be 2020-Lighthouse instead. 

So here’s my post in the discussion thread. I await Greggy’s confused reaction. :)

Not that my opinion matters much to the boards at large, but I will sign up as a character witness for lighthouse. I've made a few significant transactions with 2020-Lighthouse in the last couple years, and he is, by subjective and objective measures, nothing like 2007-Lighthouse, or even 2002-Lighthouse, or even1990s -Lighthouse, before lighthouse was lighthouse. He's made every effort to do everything as correctly and thoughtfully as possible with his new brick-n-mortar store, because he's oriented his business around the needs of the customer with an almost single-minded fervor. Those customers now may really need the cash for those consigned books, and I'm sure lighthouse would like to keep his store afloat in the midst of a global pandemic. 

Edited by MYNAMEISLEGION

13 hours ago, lighthouse said:

Hi, I can make some constructive suggestions. The PL is governed by procedures, and technically speaking a person is only put on the PL based on specific individual and posted nominations, and a person gets off the PL by satisfying those specific Board members that officially nominated in the first instance. Looking back at the date of your nomination (at least as its linked in the current PL) you were nominated by @AlexH and if that was the only Boardie that nominated you at that time, than he is the only Boardie you need to satisfy to be removed. Now let me say, as a qualifier, that in the event other Boardies came in after and posted additional nominations to second AlexH's, than that would matter also, but technically speaking, you only need to reconcile with those specific Boardies who officially nominated you for the PL. If you have not already, I would reach out to AlexH first, and start there. 

13 hours ago, lighthouse said:

You can list while you are on the probation list. There is nothing to physically stop you from listing or buying, it's up to the individual whether or not they will deal with you, apparently at least one person already has.

However, you might want to put something at the top of your listing stating that you are on it, and why, and why you should be trusted now. That way someone won't buy something and be surprised later. 

This way if AlexH. cannot be reached, you can still list.

Nothing to stop you from using eBay as far as I know, so this wouldn't be your only venue?

On 3/28/2020 at 12:25 AM, lighthouse said:

I'm pretty new to the boards and my opinion and post count probably don't hold much water. 

That said, I'm very empathetic with comic shop owners under these unusual circumstances.  The more platforms for shops to sell right now, the better. If it's been a decade and he's square with everyone he wronged I don't think he should be black listed.  

Just my opinion.