• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,201 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Fan Boy said:

Good. You’re not the only seller who has the keys someone might like to buy. There are plenty other GREAT sellers here in this forums.  Compare to other sites ... I consider to be one of best places to find unique and cool vintage comics. As long we understood the rules and worked with them ... after the first time onwards, it get better as many sellers tweaked and fine tuned their sale threads, more smoother ( and lot more fun). We get along well, even made some friendships and relationships between many of us here. 

You, sir, is welcome to take your long-winded superior rants with you and take your “chip on shoulder” with you. You just don’t get the gist ... missed the point. Good luck, I have no regrets about you at all. Bye. 

This, exactly this.

Something didn't smell right to me even before this. I had a DM all typed out with an offer on the ASM #10 and at the last minute, I deleted it and decided to wait to see the direction the thread took.  While I do not doubt that the transaction would have been followed through on, I would rather spend that money on other sellers here that understand the rules and/or that I've done deals with hear in the past.

@agamoto I don't think what occurred is PL worthy because arguably the buyer was informed of the book being pulled prior to posting the Take (though it is not definitive and it would have been made definitive if you had revised the listing). However, if a 3rd party who was not aware of seller's intentions had posted the Take prior to seller revising the listing then seller would be required under the rules to complete the sale. To me the bad action is the seller's admission that he would NOT have honored such a sale to a 3rd party.

I would like to nominate RICK STARR to this list for violation of board rules (failing to honor a sale after I claimed a book in his sales thread and sent a payment by check, and two weeks later telling me he decided to keep the book). 

The freeze dried version goes something like this:

I claimed a book (Blue Bolt 113) in his October 11 sales thread by a "Take" in the thread for the full listed price. John (aka Rick Starr) sent me a message telling me congratulations, and that there was "loads of interest" in that specific book. He even offered me additional L.B. Cole books privately after the fact. I mailed a check on October 14, and when it did not arrive in a timely fashion, I offered to mail a replacement. John told me to wait, which I did. After numerous communications, the check did not arrive this past Saturday and I once again offered to mail a replacement. I saw that numerous other books that were claimed in that sales thread had already made it to a prominent dealer (highgradecomics.com) and that he had already posted them for sale on his website, yet John claimed he hadn't even received my check, which seemed odd but I gave him the benefit of the doubt...

John told me to give it a few more days. In the meantime, I passed on several other opportunities (including the recent Heritage auction) because I *thought* I had already spent my limit on this wonderful book. Finally, on October 26, John wrote me to say that my check still had yet to arrive, but he was fine with it because, out of all the dozens of books in his thread,  he decided to keep that one specific book. This, after waiting nearly two weeks for my check to arrive, if in fact it was ever delayed in the first place. 

***If you don't want to read a novel, scroll to the end to see the seller's response in bold***

****The (very) long version:

John (aka RICK STARR) on October 26:

Well, I am sorry still no check in today's mail. Actually, it is just as well for me because I have decided to keep the book. I know you aren't going to like it and, no I do not have another offer from another buyer. just looking at this great cover and asking myself, why did I decide to sell it in the first place. My sales thread was very successful and I do not need the money. So, don't think ill of me, I am a collector not a dealer looking for more money. If by some chance your check does arrive, I will notify you and let me know what to do with it. Take care,    John

My response to John on October 27:

When I first came upon your thread, it appeared as though no one had put in a single bid on anything within the first few hours. Being a small time collector, I was agonizing over several books before I decided on the Blue Bolt 113. 

After I declared "Take" there was a flurry of activity, after which many, if not all, of the books were scooped up. 

You later told me there was "loads of interest" in that one book, and even offered me other books in addition to that one before posting them on the thread. At no time did you even hint at the fact that you were thinking of keeping that one book.

I mailed you a payment within a day (October 14) and emailed you to inform you that it was on its way. I know the mail is slow, but I am suspicious of your claim that the check never arrived and it just so happens that you're fine with that because you decided to keep the book. 

In the meantime, I see that highgradecomics.com has not only received five or six books from the very same thread, but has already posted them for sale. For some reason, I feel as though you wouldn't have reneged on the Blue Bolt if a big time collector/dealer purchased it, but for little old me you feel okay doing it.

In the meantime, it is October 26. You advised me to keep waiting to see if the check arrived. I wanted to make sure I got it to you on time, and offered more than once to send a replacement check. You advised me to keep waiting.

Again, at no time did you suggest that you were having second thoughts about selling it, and apparently had no second thoughts on your other books from that thread. In the meantime, I have passed on several other books in recent sales threads, as well as the Heritage auction, since I thought I had money tied up in this book. So, in a sense, I got screwed twice. First, on the Blue Bolt 113, and again by letting other books pass that I would love to have bid on.

Let's recap:

1. You posted numerous books for sale, and told me there was "loads of interest" on this one, in spite of the fact that your thread had been posted for hours before the first person (me) purchased anything. Later that day, buyers came in droves and snapped up the books in a frenzy.

2. I send a check on October 14, and after a week or so you claim you never received it and you instruct me to give it more time. I know the mail has been slow (as you point out) and so I agree to wait...

3. After several messages exchanged between us in relation to the payment, on Oct. 21 I offer to send a replacement check, but you again state that I should give you more time.

4.  On October 25, I again offer to mail a replacement check, and you instruct me to wait until Monday.

5. On October 25, I see that Highgradecomics.com has posted 5 to 6 books from your sales thread. It seems strange that he's already received his books and listed them for sale, while you have yet to even receive my payment, but I give you the benefit of the doubt.

5. On Monday October 26, you tell me the check has yet to arrive, but you're fine with that because you decided to keep the book.

You are correct that I am unhappy John. I feel as though I was taken for a ride, and I do not know that I can even trust you enough to believe that my check never got there.

If payment was an issue, I would have either mailed another check or sent an instant payment. It seems as though everyone else received their purchases, so the only book that you had seller's remorse on was the first book to go in your sales thread, the same one that had "loads of interest". All the other Cole books, including those you offered to me privately, appear to have been sold, most of them to a prominent dealer.

Again, being a small time collector, I had to make tough decisions and let other books pass as I eagerly awaited this book that anyone could have claimed in the thread, and I wonder if your decision to renege would not have happened had a big time dealer or collector been the one to "take" the book instead of me.

You have some great books, and we conducted a private sale this past summer, so you are also losing a customer here, although I don't think you give a bleep about that. I suppose my only recourse is to nominate you for the naughty list, so here goes...

John/Rick Starr's Oct 27 response to my complaint above:

Wow! As I said to you, I am keeping the book for myself. I have collected, traded and sold books since 1977. I have an EXCELLENT reputation with many other collectors and dealers. Yes, [I omitted the name of the other buyer] bought some books from me and what he decides what to do with them is his business. SO, there is NOTHING fishy going on, I recent that! It's MY BOOK, if I chose to keep it, its my prerogative. I have a 1256 positive (100%) feedback on Ebay. I don't what else to say. I DO NOT have your check!!! Sorry, you are upset. It's just a comic book,

Edited by thewritestuff

4 hours ago, thewritestuff said:

I would like to nominate RICK STARR to this list for violation of board rules (failing to honor a sale after I claimed a book in his sales thread and sent a payment by check, and two weeks later telling me he decided to keep the book). 

The freeze dried version goes something like this:

I claimed a book (Blue Bolt 113) in his October 11 sales thread by a "Take" in the thread for the full listed price. John (aka Rick Starr) sent me a message telling me congratulations, and that there was "loads of interest" in that specific book. He even offered me additional L.B. Cole books privately after the fact. I mailed a check on October 14, and when it did not arrive in a timely fashion, I offered to mail a replacement. John told me to wait, which I did. After numerous communications, the check did not arrive this past Saturday and I once again offered to mail a replacement. I saw that numerous other books that were claimed in that sales thread had already made it to a prominent dealer (highgradecomics.com) and that he had already posted them for sale on his website, yet John claimed he hadn't even received my check, which seemed odd but I gave him the benefit of the doubt...

John told me to give it a few more days. In the meantime, I passed on several other opportunities (including the recent Heritage auction) because I *thought* I had already spent my limit on this wonderful book. Finally, on October 26, John wrote me to say that my check still had yet to arrive, but he was fine with it because, out of all the dozens of books in his thread,  he decided to keep that one specific book. This, after waiting nearly two weeks for my check to arrive, if in fact it was ever delayed in the first place. 

***If you don't want to read a novel, scroll to the end to see the seller's response in bold***

****The (very) long version:

John (aka RICK STARR) on October 26:

Well, I am sorry still no check in today's mail. Actually, it is just as well for me because I have decided to keep the book. I know you aren't going to like it and, no I do not have another offer from another buyer. just looking at this great cover and asking myself, why did I decide to sell it in the first place. My sales thread was very successful and I do not need the money. So, don't think ill of me, I am a collector not a dealer looking for more money. If by some chance your check does arrive, I will notify you and let me know what to do with it. Take care,    John

My response to John on October 27:

When I first came upon your thread, it appeared as though no one had put in a single bid on anything within the first few hours. Being a small time collector, I was agonizing over several books before I decided on the Blue Bolt 113. 

After I declared "Take" there was a flurry of activity, after which many, if not all, of the books were scooped up. 

You later told me there was "loads of interest" in that one book, and even offered me other books in addition to that one before posting them on the thread. At no time did you even hint at the fact that you were thinking of keeping that one book.

I mailed you a payment within a day (October 14) and emailed you to inform you that it was on its way. I know the mail is slow, but I am suspicious of your claim that the check never arrived and it just so happens that you're fine with that because you decided to keep the book. 

In the meantime, I see that highgradecomics.com has not only received five or six books from the very same thread, but has already posted them for sale. For some reason, I feel as though you wouldn't have reneged on the Blue Bolt if a big time collector/dealer purchased it, but for little old me you feel okay doing it.

In the meantime, it is October 26. You advised me to keep waiting to see if the check arrived. I wanted to make sure I got it to you on time, and offered more than once to send a replacement check. You advised me to keep waiting.

Again, at no time did you suggest that you were having second thoughts about selling it, and apparently had no second thoughts on your other books from that thread. In the meantime, I have passed on several other books in recent sales threads, as well as the Heritage auction, since I thought I had money tied up in this book. So, in a sense, I got screwed twice. First, on the Blue Bolt 113, and again by letting other books pass that I would love to have bid on.

Let's recap:

1. You posted numerous books for sale, and told me there was "loads of interest" on this one, in spite of the fact that your thread had been posted for hours before the first person (me) purchased anything. Later that day, buyers came in droves and snapped up the books in a frenzy.

2. I send a check on October 14, and after a week or so you claim you never received it and you instruct me to give it more time. I know the mail has been slow (as you point out) and so I agree to wait...

3. After several messages exchanged between us in relation to the payment, on Oct. 21 I offer to send a replacement check, but you again state that I should give you more time.

4.  On October 25, I again offer to mail a replacement check, and you instruct me to wait until Monday.

5. On October 25, I see that Highgradecomics.com has posted 5 to 6 books from your sales thread. It seems strange that he's already received his books and listed them for sale, while you have yet to even receive my payment, but I give you the benefit of the doubt.

5. On Monday October 26, you tell me the check has yet to arrive, but you're fine with that because you decided to keep the book.

You are correct that I am unhappy John. I feel as though I was taken for a ride, and I do not know that I can even trust you enough to believe that my check never got there.

If payment was an issue, I would have either mailed another check or sent an instant payment. It seems as though everyone else received their purchases, so the only book that you had seller's remorse on was the first book to go in your sales thread, the same one that had "loads of interest". All the other Cole books, including those you offered to me privately, appear to have been sold, most of them to a prominent dealer.

Again, being a small time collector, I had to make tough decisions and let other books pass as I eagerly awaited this book that anyone could have claimed in the thread, and I wonder if your decision to renege would not have happened had a big time dealer or collector been the one to "take" the book instead of me.

You have some great books, and we conducted a private sale this past summer, so you are also losing a customer here, although I don't think you give a bleep about that. I suppose my only recourse is to nominate you for the naughty list, so here goes...

Wow! As I said to you, I am keeping the book for myself. I have collected, traded and sold books since 1977. I have an EXCELLENT reputation with many other collectors and dealers. Yes, [I omitted the name of the other buyer] bought some books from me and what he decides what to do with them is his business. SO, there is NOTHING fishy going on, I recent that! It's MY BOOK, if I chose to keep it, its my prerogative. I have a 1256 positive (100%) feedback on Ebay. I don't what else to say. I DO NOT have your check!!! Sorry, you are upset. It's just a comic book,

Doesn't sound good at all.  It would be nice to hear from John.

There's been a couple times over the years where I've posted something for sale and if it hasn't sold in a day or whatever I've thought better about it and pulled the book from the sales thread. However, once someone takes a book then that's a done deal, especially once payment is sent. 

That's a renege! 

81d123c6-e8c5-417d-a972-422ba81520e8_screenshot.jpg

This is not an indictment of Rick Starr.  I have dealt with him but haven't heard anything negative in my time here so please take this as a general comment.

I personally dislike paying by check. I know it saves the seller the PP fees but I always worry about the check being lost in the mail (even more so now) or I guess for a seller to receive it and say they never received it as a bit of seller's remorse so they can cancel the transaction.  

Plus cancelling a check is what $20 or $30 (I think somewhere around there is what my bank charges). 

9 hours ago, thewritestuff said:

Browbeating someone with your resume is never a good look, especially when you're reneging on a deal.

8 hours ago, telerites said:

This is not an indictment of Rick Starr.  I have dealt with him but haven't heard anything negative in my time here so please take this as a general comment.

I personally dislike paying by check. I know it saves the seller the PP fees but I always worry about the check being lost in the mail (even more so now) or I guess for a seller to receive it and say they never received it as a bit of seller's remorse so they can cancel the transaction.  

Plus cancelling a check is what $20 or $30 (I think somewhere around there is what my bank charges). 

I'll take this opportunity to plug Zelle as a great alternative to personal check/money order, if you're dealing with someone you know and/or trust.  If you haven't used it, its basically a direct, and free, bank account to bank account transfer network that can be used by customers of any participating bank (I'm with Fifth Third for example).  

I've used it to receive payment without issue on a couple of occasions.

Only potential drawback - the transaction isn't reversible.  So again, know and/or trust is key in a Zelle transaction.

17 hours ago, thewritestuff said:

That reputation is now one of someone who doesn't honor a deal. (thumbsu

It is true that it is his prerogative to keep the book but it is also your @thewritestuff option to put him on the Probation List for failing to complete an agreed-to transaction.

You should start a new thread officially nominating him. Normally you have to wait 30 days from the commencement of a transaction; however, because he has informed you that he will no longer be selling you the book I don't think you have to wait the 30 days.

Seems like an open and shut case to me. :rulez:

Edited by Red84

20 minutes ago, Red84 said:

That reputation is now one of someone who doesn't honor a deal. (thumbsu

It is true that it is his prerogative to keep the book but it is also your @thewritestuff option to put him on the Probation List for failing to complete an agreed-to transaction.

You should start a new thread officially nominating him. Normally you have to wait 30 days from the commencement of a transaction; however, because he has informed you that he will no longer be selling you the book I don't think you have to wait the 30 days.

Seems like an open and shut case to me. :rulez:

I thought this was the official place to nominate someone 🙀

Just now, wombat said:

Seems pretty cut and dry. You want to sell on the boards you follow board rules. And deciding you don't want to sell after someone takes it is not OK in any fashion. Why on earth would anyone trust you again once you pull some BS like that?

Chill out, “it’s only a comic book”.

lol