• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

It seems to me that enforcing such a rule would be an endorsement of sorts of the probation list and I believe CGC has remained very hands-off with regards to the probation list thus far. I highly doubt Arch would go along with something like that.

I, too, doubt Arch would condone that. What I meant was to implement it we don't need boardie approval. We need Arch approval.

I agree completely that if the idea is to change the "usage guidelines" that would require the approval of Admin. My 2c is that any organization survives less on its rules and more upon the voluntary good will cooperation of its members. For me the existing rules are permissive, and I have never yet seen them as an impediment to the community enforcing the PL.

The fact that Admin will not intervene to "resolve disputes" in the sales forum vis a vis transactions is to say that it has ceded that to the community. Fundamental to how the community resolves disputes is the PL process. It is part and parcel of the Sales Forum. It is not something separate that has to sneak into the proceedings.

Well, discovery is how you learn so if we see someone on the PL selling, buying or in WTB we could try following Arch's guidelines for incorrect FS posts which he put in the Usage Guidelines:

This is a suggested "ok to post" rules reminder template so that everyone can feel comfortable helping to keep things in line with the guidelines instead of feeling like a self appointed forum cop.

If someone is not complying with the rules, this should be considered an OK way for everyone around here to nudge people a bit. Once in a thread is plenty, guys. After that you can re-post it in new threads (once) but then just hit the notify moderator button if things don't get cleaned up.

The template is for ads missing required stuff like payment info, returns etc. Rather than that we can use a CALM reminder along the lines of:

"You are currently on the PL (or HOS). You will get much better results if you clear up any issues that resulted in your being placed on the list."

Also adding a copy of the link from the PL List that shows the original nomination would be very helpful."

But to pull this off we will need to suppress our natural tendency to anger. thread crapping, pile-ons etc. and be calm about it. Otherwise Arch or another mod will most certainly intervene.

That's why I like the idea of the actual OP generating that info.

I agree it is the logical and easier solution, but as I understand it Admin wants no part of enforcing rules that pertain to the PL or HoS lists, and to incorporate that rule change into the usage guidelines would require Admin to enforce something they seem to want no part in policing. (shrug)

If we do it ourselves by community consensus in a way that would not normally draw the attention of moderation, it seems to be the case that it will be accepted on sufferance.

At present a member has posted a warning in both of the WTB posts, the real test imo would be if oceanavekid himself humped the button asking for the warning posts to be removed. I do not know if there are precedents for that situation. If there are it would be good to know them.

He posted this when he came back in February.

A lot has changed over the last year

Hey everybody guess who's back :3

It's been a crazy year for me. In late 2014 I sold off 90% of my comic collection to move to Los Angeles. I had my first kid, a son named Nolan. Now a little over a year later I'm back to collecting. I want to grow my collection to what it was before I moved. I realize there are a good amount of people who really don't care for me here. All I can say is it's a new year I realize I made mistakes in the past. I'm doing what I can to try and make things right. As some of you may remember sometime last year I had won a book from Rich_Henn on eBay and things got messed up so I was unable to pay and ended up being put on the probation list. Some agreed with the decision, some didn't. Either way I've reached out and tried to make things right more then once and keep getting no response. If you read this Rich know I'm sorry things went down the way they did and want to make up for it. It's a brand new year, time to do what I can to right my wrongs and Move on. Hope people can give me another chance to show I've changed

This year it's not about quantity it's about quality. I'm trying to buy a few keys

Like to find them raw as their normally a little cheaper than slabs

Werewolf by night 32 9.0 or better

Strange tales 110 5.0 or better

Forever people 1 9.8

Jimmy Olsen 134 8.5 or better

Thor 165 8.5 or better

Tales of suspense 39 any grade

Strange tales 169 9.0 or better

New Gods 1 9.8

Hulk 181 8.0 or better

That's just a small list I'm trying to get by the end of 2016

See more journals by oceanavekid

Keep oceanavekid indefinitely.

Seriously. This guy has just continued to be one headache for me after another.

I don't trust him, I have ZERO reason to trust him, even after having to pester him yet again for payment on an item....

He's that guy that I could very realistically see doing a chargeback down the road on a paypal purchase.

oceanavekid if you're reading this, I"m telling you for the last time----STOP BOTHERING ME.

Your PM's will go unread and deleted, as will your emails.

Here's what happend

I contacted rich after over a year and tried to make things right. He knew who I was from the first message I sent him. One or two went unanswered, after he finally responded he thought I knew he had some Miller books coming back from CGC(I had no clue he had any books coming back from CGC) we sent a few messages. I told him the whole time I didn't know he had any Miller books coming back and it didn't have to be a Miller book I just wanted to make things right. I bid up a book and never paid for it that's what got me on the list to begin with. He's never wanted to even try to listen or let me do something to make up for it. This time I thought he would. After he sent me multiple messages about different books I saw he was doing I signing and claimed one of his books. I had never claimed a book where a signing is taking place so I didn't know payment was due in full up front. He sent me a message today explaining how things work. I paid him IN FULL. After that he sends me a message acting like he had no clue who I was(which he knew) and says he downstairs trust me and returned my money. I paid him in full so what's there not to trust? All I was trying to do was get one transaction completed to make up for the shady one that fell through back in 2014. He's unwilling to even try to work things out. I paid him in full and that's still shady and no good to him. It's a loosing battle

If he's not willing to do anything all I can do is say is, I tried to the best of my ability to make things right with him and move on.

1j95d.jpg

2hezea1.jpg

2qbrjwk.jpg

Rich pretty much laid it out. Considering the things he does to go out of his way to help people and the awesome business ethics, case closed.

He is a shining example of what a good businessman is and people should aspire to be as such.

Walk away kid

oceanavekid

I see your point of view, but you had your chance to do EVERYTHING possible to make a smooth transaction with Rich, including being clear about the terms before making a purchase, and then following through with those terms. And you didn't.

You could've acted as though your reputation was at stake and done what 99.9% of us do every day here (and on ebay), and just follow the basics of a normal transaction. Read the rules, buy something we want, pay timely, and get the item we paid for.

Of course no one is perfect, but what does Rich have to gain by giving you yet another chance? especially compared to what he may have to lose, and what he might think the rest of us have to lose by taking you off the list.

I don't think you're a bad kid, but it seems like you might have your definitions mixed up. Just because you're not actively trying to scam people doesn't mean you're automatically acting with integrity or that people won't be screwed over or put financially at risk by your actions.

Just because you admit to your girlfriend you cheated on her and explain why doesn't mean you acted with integrity. Maybe it means you're not a liar, but the honesty on its own generally won't (and probably shouldn't) get you another opportunity.

You have to get a larger worldview, and try to examine the motivations of others. How did they react? And why? How should I respond? How have my actions let me here? What was in my control, what IS still in my control? What are my remaining options? Why would someone else do what I'm hoping they will do?

Sometimes you just gotta live with your mistakes and move on, maybe move farther than you hoped or think you deserved. But we don't always get to choose the final outcome, especially when we're the one who made the mistakes. That's life.

"Sometimes you just gotta live with your mistakes and move on, maybe move farther than you hoped or think you deserved. But we don't always get to choose the final outcome, especially when we're the one who made the mistakes. That's life." Well said

I can stay on the list not the reason why I was trying to buy a book off him. I wanted to right my wrong. I owned up to my mistake and did what I could to do right, but as you said "we don't always get to choose the final outcome"

It's pretty funny that you think entering into a normal transaction and paying in full, per the terms, constitutes "making it up to" Rich.
Kind of what I was thinking.

It's pretty funny that you think entering into a normal transaction and paying in full, per the terms, constitutes "making it up to" Rich.

He couldn't even do that. That is the crazy thing. Just another Hustrucker.

He couldn't even do that. That is the crazy thing. Just another Hustrucker.

MY9GP-.gif