• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,202 posts in this topic

Thanks, Chris. I'll copy Doug's prior format.

I participated in the Mattina Opp (found HERE). The Opp was paid for in the amount of $360 on 1/16/2013.

On 4/26/2014, Mike began issuing refunds. I was second to pay for the Opp, but he did not go in any particular order (communicated in group PM). He communicated that by 12/31/2014 all refunds would be refunded. Mike has not posted in the Opp PM since 2/3/2015.

Last Mike promised, I would receive my refund within 2 weeks of May 28, 2016.

I've tried to keep things private and assist Mike in completing refunds for others (buying sketch covers from him when he said he needed money to refund people, forwarding messages left publicly and privately, etc). All while my refund was being delayed. To find out that Doug was paid (and rightfully so) nearly immediately after posting publicly here, that was just the last straw.

I have emailed Mike a link to this and posted it into a new private message.

Thx, A-

Refund paid in full thx

Andy you're telling the story in a way to sway public opinion, but you and I know the entire story so if you want to tell half of the story regarding transactions that's on you. But you and I both know better. Refund sent

The other half of the story would be appreciated.

Any idea what happened? Did the artist take the money and run?

It was later disclosed/discovered that the artist never received the money. But at this point, it's been so long, I forget where that information was posted/came from.

Whoa, the time to remediate is crazy. Glad it's finally being dealt with. Certainly not the first SS sketch opp that has gone sideways. If the artist never got the money where did it go for so long?

How many people got the short end on this, and how much money total was involved?

Andy you're telling the story in a way to sway public opinion, but you and I know the entire story so if you want to tell half of the story regarding transactions that's on you. But you and I both know better. Refund sent

I'd be interested in it as well. Do tell, Mike. Tell the other 1/2 that I paid you in 2013, I assisted you when you said you needed help, was promised refunds but were never sent, then the moment that you think someone makes you look bad publicly, they get paid. Whatever it is that you think I "wronged" you, please let it out and I'll respond.

How am "I" the one swaying public opinion when I simply responded to probation discussions from TWO OTHER Opps that people were in that resulted in the same (no art and years waiting for a refund). A quick search in SS yields 2 others as well. So, again, feel free. I've left out everything but the Mattina Opp not for my sake, but yours.

And if you're referring to Michael Sta Maria, where I agreed to commissions on an "Opp" you were running and agreed to reduce the gross amount of refund owed to me by off-setting CGC costs. Then, the moment you learned that Adonis and I and Jun and I were buddies and spoke about the books outside our conversations, you tell Jun then tell me that you want me to sub the commissions under my own account thereby requiring me to hit 10 commissions for an approve-able Mail in amount. Then, it taking me about a month to come up with additional funds to pay for those commissions, cgc costs, and fed ex from the Phillipines to Florida. Sure, there it is. Oh, and somehow you think it's a binding modification of our "contract" for the Mattina Opp where you think you are deserved a $120 (was it) reduction of the original Opp price for further expenses that I incurred, you thinking you're owed $120 in relief for no costs that you incurred.

Or is it that you're upset because i acted amicably at Boston comic con because you were 1) witnessing for the cgc booth and 2) because my Maria books were in limbo as I specifically emailed Mike Balent rather amicably allowing it to appear as though it was a transfer of a private mail in as opposed to you ditching it causing the need for the three of us to discuss.

3.5 years wait to provide the art promised or to deliver a refund. This place is bananaland.

Yup. And it's because people worship comic creators, and don't want to rock the boat and be cut off.

It's madness (and lest anyone think stones and glass houses, I'm in, and have been in, the very same boat.)

Any idea what happened? Did the artist take the money and run?

It was later disclosed/discovered that the artist never received the money. But at this point, it's been so long, I forget where that information was posted/came from.

Whoa, the time to remediate is crazy. Glad it's finally being dealt with. Certainly not the first SS sketch opp that has gone sideways. If the artist never got the money where did it go for so long?

How many people got the short end on this, and how much money total was involved?

The artist never recieved the funds, funds were sent to someone in connection with artist. Person stopped communication, Paypal protection was long gone. Had to pay out of pocket

Edited by Mr Mylar

I'd be interested in it as well. Do tell, Mike. Tell the other 1/2 that I paid you in 2013, I assisted you when you said you needed help, was promised refunds but were never sent, then the moment that you think someone makes you look bad publicly, they get paid. Whatever it is that you think I "wronged" you, please let it out and I'll respond.

How am "I" the one swaying public opinion when I simply responded to probation discussions from TWO OTHER Opps that people were in that resulted in the same (no art and years waiting for a refund). A quick search in SS yields 2 others as well. So, again, feel free. I've left out everything but the Mattina Opp not for my sake, but yours.

And if you're referring to Michael Sta Maria, where I agreed to commissions on an "Opp" you were running and agreed to reduce the gross amount of refund owed to me by off-setting CGC costs. Then, the moment you learned that Adonis and I and Jun and I were buddies and spoke about the books outside our conversations, you tell Jun then tell me that you want me to sub the commissions under my own account thereby requiring me to hit 10 commissions for an approve-able Mail in amount. Then, it taking me about a month to come up with additional funds to pay for those commissions, cgc costs, and fed ex from the Phillipines to Florida. Sure, there it is. Oh, and somehow you think it's a binding modification of our "contract" for the Mattina Opp where you think you are deserved a $120 (was it) reduction of the original Opp price for further expenses that I incurred, you thinking you're owed $120 in relief for no costs that you incurred.

Or is it that you're upset because i acted amicably at Boston comic con because you were 1) witnessing for the cgc booth and 2) because my Maria books were in limbo as I specifically emailed Mike Balent rather amicably allowing it to appear as though it was a transfer of a private mail in as opposed to you ditching it causing the need for the three of us to discuss.

Andy please stop, you're twisting the story around. Again. I gave you your refund, you paid for the remainder of the sketches yesterday right before you posted here. You weren't communicating to artist about payment until this happened. And once you got all you could out of me and got your sketches done you cut me off and demanded your refund. Stop it please

Edited by Mr Mylar

Andy please stop, you're twisting the story around. Again. I gave you your refund, you paid for the remainder of the sketches yesterday right before you posted here. You weren't communicating to artist about payment until this happened. And once you got all you could out of me and got your sketches done you cut me off and demanded your refund. Stop it please

If that's how you see it Mike. My last post on the subject.

I had a very large piece commissioned to Den Beauvais for me. I tracked him down myself, approached and paid and with in 6 months I had a large canvas delivered to me.

This IS bananaland indeed.

Paying any artist 100% upfront is as banana fo fana as bananaland gets.

If you get lucky, super lucky, they keep their promise and their deadline.

I've commissioned well over 100 pieces over the years and a small deposit and payment upon delivery keeps everyone motivated and respectful...and friendly.

lol

Why does it take so many years to either get a commission or a refund?

And if a refund is being given...

It must be nice to a get an interest free loan for that duration.