• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,202 posts in this topic

The fact that there is an offer of a full refund should make it impossible for a PL nomination to go through. The list is not for spleen venting or things that don't sit well. It is a mechanism to receive a way to be made whole. Once a nominee has proposed a solution that makes the complainer whole, the complainer either takes it or the nomination goes away.

Edited by seanfingh

The fact that there is an offer of a full refund should make it impossible for a PL nomination to go through. The list is not for spleen venting or things that don't sit well. It is a mechanism to receive a way to be made whole. Once a nominee has proposed a solution that makes the complainer whole, the complainer either takes it or the nomination goes away.

While I understand the buyer's hesitation, I agree with this. He is offering a full refund. I don't think more can be expected from a PL standpoint.

Sean, Grantley is in the U.K. The cost of shipping far exceeds the nominal compensation I would expect. Also, based on the seller's history of disappearing, there is the risk I would simply not hear from him again. In case it got lost in the posts, I never intended to ask for anything. It's only when he stated that he passed the books along to me with the same grade he bought them at, obviously not true, that I asked for compensation. The arrangement was for me to get another book. I did not get that book. Shipping the books to the UK on my dime does not make me whole.

Sean, Grantley is in the U.K. The cost of shipping far exceeds the nominal compensation I would expect. Also, based on the seller's history of disappearing, there is the risk I would simply not hear from him again. In case it got lost in the posts, I never intended to ask for anything. It's only when he stated that he passed the books along to me with the same grade he bought them at, obviously not true, that I asked for compensation. The arrangement was for me to get another book. I did not get that book. Shipping the books to the UK on my dime does not make me whole.

While I do have some sympathy for the risks of shipping books and I understand you had lost confidence in the seller, my concern is with the premise of the demand for a rebate. You state clearly that in the first instance you were not seeking any compensation or correction indicating that you were reasonably if not perfectly satisfied with your books. You are pretty clear that the impelling cause of your demand for a rebate was the discovery that the grades were not the same as when the seller had first acquired the books, he had "bumped" them.

My difficulty is that you were reasonably happy with the books until you knew at one point in the past they had been graded lower. Why do you presume that the earlier "original" grades are necessarily more accurate and why should that be a deciding factor in seeking compensation?

Bob, I don't care. You showed the whole deal, and you brought it on yourself with your passive-aggressive comments about the grading. You don't get to get into a contest with a Brit over $60 bucks in mid-grade books, hang a PL nomination on him and then refuse to accept a refund because of the realities of overseas shipping.

The seller has done a poor job with customer service, not once but twice. There is no doubt about it. But once he offers a full refund, either take it, or move on.

While I do have some sympathy for the risks of shipping books and I understand you had lost confidence in the seller, my concern is with the premise of the demand for a rebate. You state clearly that in the first instance you were not seeking any compensation or correction indicating that you were reasonably if not perfectly satisfied with your books. You are pretty clear that the impelling cause of your demand for a rebate was the discovery that the grades were not the same as when the seller had first acquired the books, he had "bumped" them.

My difficulty is that you were reasonably happy with the books until you knew at one point in the past they had been graded lower. Why do you presume that the earlier "original" grades are necessarily more accurate and why should that be a deciding factor in seeking compensation?

Reasonable question, hopefully my answer is reasonable. I think we all have been in the situation where you purchased an overgraded book and you try and justify it in your mind that it is okay. That was my situation, I was okay, not happy with the books. The seller stated he passed along the same grades as assigned by the auction house. Finding out that he was not telling the truth, I then wanted some compensation. The grades, as assigned by the seller, were barely passable for my tastes. If I would have known the true grades, I would not have purchased them.

Bob.

You appear to be looking for trouble here, and trying to blackmail me with threats of calling me out as you put it, will not work on me.

The books were in my collection and graded by me as I saw them. I still stand by my grades. There have been many instances where I have received books from dealers in the past where the books have been undergraded, it does happen. Books sometimes are overgraded by dealers as well. I myself once had a book with a CGC label which was an 8.0.

When I cracked the book out, try as I might I could not give the book any more than a 7.0 at most.

Bottom line here is I paid a total of $95 for these two pedigree books several years ago. You have bought the books for $90. I also subsidised shipping to you.

As expressed earlier I am $13 out on this transaction, so I think the best thing is for you to return the books to me for a full refund, and I will also refund your shipping as well.

It's clear to me you obviously like the books but are trying to squeeze out an additional refund, but trying to blackmail me is not the way to go.

Therefore I would rather take the hit on the extra return postage than be blackmailed in this manner.

Please return the books.

best

G.

He said he would refund the return shipping as well

Bob.

You appear to be looking for trouble here, and trying to blackmail me with threats of calling me out as you put it, will not work on me.

The books were in my collection and graded by me as I saw them. I still stand by my grades. There have been many instances where I have received books from dealers in the past where the books have been undergraded, it does happen. Books sometimes are overgraded by dealers as well. I myself once had a book with a CGC label which was an 8.0.

When I cracked the book out, try as I might I could not give the book any more than a 7.0 at most.

Bottom line here is I paid a total of $95 for these two pedigree books several years ago. You have bought the books for $90. I also subsidised shipping to you.

As expressed earlier I am $13 out on this transaction, so I think the best thing is for you to return the books to me for a full refund, and I will also refund your shipping as well.

It's clear to me you obviously like the books but are trying to squeeze out an additional refund, but trying to blackmail me is not the way to go.

Therefore I would rather take the hit on the extra return postage than be blackmailed in this manner.

Please return the books.

best

G.

Pretty clear. No trouble just hand the books back and discussion here should have never taken place

Edited by MetalPSI

Bob.

Please return the books.

best

G.

He initially said he would pay for the return postage but upon reflecting on the cost he changed the offer to the gratis book. I never received that book. His recent offer of a full refund upon receipt of the books does not include compensation for the return shipping.

Okay, it's obvious I'm not convincing anybody about this. I will rescind the nomination. Sorry.

I am no longer nominating Grantley Goddard for the probation List.

Details deleted out of respect for the accused.

Sorry.

Edited by bomber-bob

i'm not sure they can do anything, but can you file a police report?

i'm not saying he'll go to jail or nothin', but a friendly knock on the door from an officer probably gets everything returned.

If he follows through with a police report, the police will certainly come to his door and the knock will not be friendly.

The seller sold the sketched slab for over $500 on eBay.

The boardie who got beat out of this book has proof (text messages/emails) from the seller, indicating that the book was owed to him.

As the slab has realized a value of over $500, the seller committed *grand larceny*.

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/grand+larceny

That is not the seller's only crime.

By using a mail carrier to ship this slab (stolen property) over state lines, I am pretty sure the seller would be facing two criminal charges.

The latter charge is a Federal Offense, if I am not mistaken.

If the boardie files a police report, both of the charges would be set in motion, as far as I can see.

Finally, if 5 of us report this listing to ebay as suspected stolen property, the seller will get his due deserts from not only the criminal and federal offenses...but he would just about certainly be kicked off of eBay.

i'm not saying he'll go to jail or nothin', but a friendly knock on the door from an officer probably gets everything returned.

If he follows through with a police report, the police will certainly come to his door and the knock will not be friendly.

The boardie who got beat out of this book has proof (text messages/emails) from the seller, indicating that the book was owed to him.

As the slab has realized a value of over $500, the seller committed *grand larceny*.

By using a mail carrier to ship this slab (stolen property) over state lines, I am pretty sure the seller would be facing two criminal charges.

If the boardie files a police report, both of the charges would be set in motion, as far as I can see.

Finally, if 5 of us report this listing to ebay as suspected stolen property, the seller will get his due deserts from not only the criminal and federal offenses...but he would just about certainly be kicked off of eBay.

Is this about the sketch books? I thought this was cleared up a couple weeks ago. :shrug:

:facepalm: resurrected a weeks old (and settled) matter to give bad legal advice? Were you too busy to comment then because you were building another 40 foot fire moat? Total CAK move.

So CGC has legally parted ways with Akoni..

If someone could give a brief summary I am curious what has happened with this. I have read the specific complaints here in the PL but I'm not familiar with the general picture. Has he walked away from clients and obligations? Are there extenuating circumstances?

For a couple of years, Akoni Kaholo (kaholo1256) was a witness/facilitator in good standing with CGC...particularly the Signature Series program.

Back in the middle of 2015, he advertised a sketch opportunity with Kevin Eastman. He took (a lot) of money and books to be signed and/or sketched on. This was normal as Akoni Kaholo had taken many submissions of this nature in the past and never had any problems.

While getting these done, Akoni Kaholo continued to accept submissions for other shows he'd be attending in order to get them signed for clients.

Many of the original books from the first Eastman sketch opportunity were completed and group photos were posted. Originally, he was to submit this directly to CGC via the mail. Then, he was to bring them to Baltimore Comic Con for on-site grading. Then, he was to bring them to NYCC for submission. None of these things happened. Akoni Kaholo went silent after that.

Many clients started posting in his threads asking for updates with no response. PM's went unread and phone calls were dodged.

I nominated Akoni Kaholo for the probation list back in December. This prompted a response from him where he basically said "my bad all, I'll get these right out and get things straightened out". He immediately went silent again.

When enough people asked questions, it surfaced that Akoni Kaholo had MANY outstanding bills waiting to be paid at CGC and from the looks of it, he had no intention of paying them. He had many already-graded books that needed payment before being shipped. Many more books were sitting in boxes at his house waiting to be submitted.

I've heard many figures thrown out, but it sounds like the total cost of all the bills, signing fees, and the value of the books he was responsible for that were outstanding was around the $100K mark.

Former friends of his who also work with CGC regularly stepped in and got many CGC invoices paid and the books returned to the owners. They funded some of this by taking possession of his personal books and selling them (on Facebook).

I believe the majority of books have been returned, but there are a few instances where Akoni Kaholo lied to get additional submissions. That's my situation. I and several others are currently waiting on refunds that may or may not come as a result of Akoni's lies where he purposefully solicited submissions that he had no intention of completing.

CGC has issued a letter to Akoni Kaholo saying he is no longer allowed to witness or facilitate for them. It's unclear to me whether or not he's allowed to submit to them anymore, but from the sounds of it, Akoni is looking to just brush his hands of the whole situation and leave it all behind.

So CGC has legally parted ways with Akoni..

If someone could give a brief summary I am curious what has happened with this. I have read the specific complaints here in the PL but I'm not familiar with the general picture. Has he walked away from clients and obligations? Are there extenuating circumstances?

For a couple of years, Akoni Kaholo (kaholo1256) was a witness/facilitator in good standing with CGC...particularly the Signature Series program.

Back in the middle of 2015, he advertised a sketch opportunity with Kevin Eastman. He took (a lot) of money and books to be signed and/or sketched on. This was normal as Akoni Kaholo had taken many submissions of this nature in the past and never had any problems.

While getting these done, Akoni Kaholo continued to accept submissions for other shows he'd be attending in order to get them signed for clients.

Many of the original books from the first Eastman sketch opportunity were completed and group photos were posted. Originally, he was to submit this directly to CGC via the mail. Then, he was to bring them to Baltimore Comic Con for on-site grading. Then, he was to bring them to NYCC for submission. None of these things happened. Akoni Kaholo went silent after that.

Many clients started posting in his threads asking for updates with no response. PM's went unread and phone calls were dodged.

I nominated Akoni Kaholo for the probation list back in December. This prompted a response from him where he basically said "my bad all, I'll get these right out and get things straightened out". He immediately went silent again.

When enough people asked questions, it surfaced that Akoni Kaholo had MANY outstanding bills waiting to be paid at CGC and from the looks of it, he had no intention of paying them. He had many already-graded books that needed payment before being shipped. Many more books were sitting in boxes at his house waiting to be submitted.

I've heard many figures thrown out, but it sounds like the total cost of all the bills, signing fees, and the value of the books he was responsible for that were outstanding was around the $100K mark.

Former friends of his who also work with CGC regularly stepped in and got many CGC invoices paid and the books returned to the owners. They funded some of this by taking possession of his personal books and selling them (on Facebook).

I believe the majority of books have been returned, but there are a few instances where Akoni Kaholo lied to get additional submissions. That's my situation. I and several others are currently waiting on refunds that may or may not come as a result of Akoni's lies where he purposefully solicited submissions that he had no intention of completing.

CGC has issued a letter to Akoni Kaholo saying he is no longer allowed to witness or facilitate for them. It's unclear to me whether or not he's allowed to submit to them anymore, but from the sounds of it, Akoni is looking to just brush his hands of the whole situation and leave it all behind.

Many thanks for posting this, I appreciate it. :)

:facepalm: resurrected a weeks old (and settled) matter to give bad legal advice? Were you too busy to comment then because you were building another 40 foot fire moat? Total CAK move.

Let's get Capfreak in here!

Let's get Capfreak in here!

I agree with Jaybuck. I would strongly suggest that you refrain from giving legal advice on the boards. It is evident that you have no training or education in regards to the law. Virtually everything you typed would happen is speculation at best and ridiculous in some instances.

As far as Akoni goes, is he being nominated for the PL or HOS? It may not matter either way since it sounds unlikely he would ever be removed from the PL but I'm just curious due to the number of people affected and dollar amount.