• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

There's the first confirmed no. I predict there will be 18 No votes at the end of the poll...minimum

I hear there were people that thought John Dillinger was simply "creative" when it came to bank withdrawals too.

I'm sure one of his enablers will be blasting you for this. If not here, then perhaps on wookiebuttplugs.net or whatever website they commiserate on.

Ricky lol

If you are referring to me, there is no enabling.

Coming from a history of mental illness, I thought the name calling and torch lighting was in poor taste.

I don't think anybody (including myself) denied that Chip should be held accountable for his actions.

I don't see any enabling. Do you?

Yes, I do think you're enabling his actions, both by sending him comics to sell at a time when he should be looking for a real job, and by defending his behavior. And by saying "I think he's wrong, but..." You most definitely are defending his actions.

I respect the fact that he's your friend, and that you choose to see the good in any situation, but how can you defend him looking to buy toys at a time when he's claiming that he's destitute? He should be looking for work, signing up for a class to learn some skills...Not looking to buy the limited edition Leia with camel toe action figure.

I guess the people that sent him checks should sit and spin while he uses their money to buy another bandaid for the bullet hole that is his life, because who could possibly pass up a deal like that?! Yuck. :facepalm:

As for his "mental illness", did he show you medical records? Or are you taking his word for it? Because speaking only for myself, his word means mess. I also have people in my life that suffer from mental illness, and I think it's disgusting that someone would toss that out there as an excuse to swindle people. I see what they go through, and what the people around them go through. You know as well as I do, there's a difference between clinical depression and "feeling depressed".

This will be my last post on the topic as I think we're going in circles (and this is a reply to all who feel I'm defending the indefensible).

I no longer use Chip. The last time I offered for Chip to sell my books for me was earlier this year.

At the time I felt he could genuinely use the help and I'd rather throw a lifesaver and be wrong than not try to help and be wrong.

Chip is a friend in the sense that many board members are friends. We've interacted over the years, we've talked on the phone, we've emailed many times and we've never met.

And while I was speaking about [possible] mental illness, I preferred to keep the adjectives, name calling, posturing etc to a minimum. Being that mental illness is a subject that is close to home for me I'd rather err on the side of caution rather than just call someone names on the internet. I think it's the mature thing to do.

Did I speak to his doctor? No. I didn't launch a full scale investigation. I'm too busy to micro manage someone on the other side of the continent when I have 6 kids and a small business to worry about. I spoke to the hospital he was checked into and left it at that.

@ Comix4fun, yes I did leave that part out. I wasn't trying to make any excuses for it. It's my opinion that mental health can affect things like coping mechanisms, communication with other people, digging yourself out of a hole you've dug yourself into and just routine things that we all take for granted.

I'm not saying that Chip is necessarily mentally ill at thjs point, or making excuses for him, I'm just saying that it's a possibility. How do I know? Because I used to have the same issues 12 years ago. When money was tight for me I used to have anxiety about getting back to people in a timely manner. As I said in the Jimbo707 discussion, people are complicated. Not everything that is straight forward to you is straightforward to everyone.,

@ Chrisco - I just thought the name calling was over the top. Other than that I agree (and have from the start) that he needs to be held accountable for his actions.

If his behavior falls into HOS or PL territory then he should go in there.

And if Chip reads this, a very important lesson I learned [often the hard way] is that it's not the big things you do once in a while that define you, it's the little things you do all the time.

I guess because he says he is changing after 22+ years of scamming people affords him the benefit of the doubt?

Heck, even after 6 months of therapy and medication, he was still being disingenuous up until yesterday.

But "no". Good for you. :foryou:

He's still being disingenuous. Now he's playing the pity poor old me card with extraordinary skill as he has many times in the past.

I guess because he says he is changing after 22+ years of scamming people affords him the benefit of the doubt?

Heck, even after 6 months of therapy and medication, he was still being disingenuous up until yesterday.

But "no". Good for you. :foryou:

He's still being disingenuous. Now he's playing the pity poor old me card with extraordinary skill as he has many times in the past.

And it still works with some people. Why not stick with it?

Let's not make this about Joe or Roy. I don't think that Joe and Roy were aware of how deep the rabbit hole goes. I know I for one was not. I think we have all been wrong about someone before.

Let's deal with the current situation at hand.

Thank you. As more facts come to light I agree that Chip looks guilty.

If all of us were found guilty on bad feelings there'd be nobody to hold the key to the jail cell.

Let's not make this about Joe or Roy. I don't think that Joe and Roy were aware of how deep the rabbit hole goes. I know I for one was not. I think we have all been wrong about someone before.

If all of us were found guilty on bad feelings there'd be nobody to hold the key to the jail cell.

Roy, I have to give you a lot of credit. You seem to see the best in people and believe everyone deserves a second or third chance to turn their lives around.

Roy, I have to give you a lot of credit. You seem to see the best in people and believe everyone deserves a second or third chance to turn their lives around.

Why can't he give Brock another chance?

:(

hm His name rhymes with Spock?

hm His name rhymes with Spock?

Ahh I get it...Spock is all about logic which Roy also doesn't like.

:whistle:

As someone who is currently in the medical field, Chip's long history of manipulation, stealing, and lack of remorse makes me think that this is more of a personality disorder that he is dealing with, specifically antisocial personality disorder, than purely just depression. While he may have a mood disorder, his 20+ years of taking advantage of people speaks more to a personality issue than just major depression.

While it still is a mental health issue, personality disorders are generally harder to treat with modern psychiatric medications, but there has been good results shown with long term therapy.

Whether Chip is truly getting help for his mental health is anyone's guess. I for one hope he is getting the help he needs and that he is being evaluated by a doctor who can diagnose and treat this kind of maladaptive behavior.

For the sake of the board's integrity, I cannot support anyone who takes advantage of the good will of respectable members. Given Chip's long pattern of deception, to think that he can change overnight would be a medical miracle. Even with 6 months of therapy, I can tell you from my experience he still has a long way to go.

-John

As someone who is currently in the medical field, Chip's long history of manipulation, stealing, and lack of remorse makes me think that this is more of a personality disorder that he is dealing with, specifically antisocial personality disorder, than purely just depression. While he may have a mood disorder, his 20+ years of taking advantage of people speaks more to a personality issue than just major depression.

While it still is a mental health issue, personality disorders are generally harder to treat with modern psychiatric medications, but there has been good results shown with long term therapy.

Whether Chip is truly getting help for his mental health is anyone's guess. I for one hope he is getting the help he needs and that he is being evaluated by a doctor who can diagnose and treat this kind of maladaptive behavior.

For the sake of the board's integrity, I cannot support anyone who takes advantage of the good will of respectable members. Given Chip's long pattern of deception, to think that he can change overnight would be a medical miracle. Even with 6 months of therapy, I can tell you from my experience he still has a long way to go.

-John

As someone who is in the medical field, you should know how completely inappropriate it is to be speculating on any sort of diagnosis without having met the individual.

Once again, people should be voting based on the facts, not based on ill informed attempts at medical diagnosis based on internet history. There is plenty of factual information to support an HOS vote without indulging in careless speculation.

-John

As someone who is in the medical field, you should know how completely inappropriate it is to be speculating on any sort of diagnosis without having met the individual.

Once again, people should be voting based on the facts, not based on ill informed attempts at medical diagnosis based on internet history. There is plenty of factual information to support an HOS vote without indulging in careless speculation.

He is not my patient, and I am not offering him any medical advice. And by no means am I trying to sway anyone's opinion based on what his history is. His public information is out there, and this does not come close to violating any HIPAA privacy rules, so give me a break. I am free to discuss as I wish, so you can get off your high horse.

I have every right to discuss what I think could be going on given what little history I know. Does it make my assessment 100% correct? Maybe yes, maybe no. Which is why I hoped for his sake he was receiving proper medical care from a licensed Psychiatrist.

My post was more to inform those about the speculation behind his mental health and thinking that his behavior is somehow a by-product of his depression. His extensive history of maladaptive behavior smells more like a personality disorder to me, and I have no problem mentioning that on a public forum.

-John

He is not my patient, and I am not offering him any medical advice. And by no means am I trying to sway anyone's opinion based on what his history is. His public information is out there, and this does not come close to violating any HIPAA privacy rules, so give me a break. I am free to discuss as I wish, so you can get off your high horse.

I have every right to discuss what I think could be going on given what little history I know. Does it make my assessment 100% correct? Maybe yes, maybe no. Which is why I hoped for his sake he was receiving proper medical care from a licensed Psychiatrist.

My post was more to inform those about the speculation behind his mental health and thinking that his behavior is somehow a by-product of his depression. His extensive history of maladaptive behavior smells more like a personality disorder to me, and I have no problem mentioning that on a public forum.

No where did I say you weren't free to discuss your opinion, and no where did I say you were violating any HIPAA privacy laws. From the vantage point of my high horse, what I did say was that you are making medical assessments based on limited information that are inappropriate and unnecessary for the discussion. :foryou:

Edited by Red84