• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,202 posts in this topic

As someone who is currently in the medical field, Chip's long history of manipulation, stealing, and lack of remorse makes me think that this is more of a personality disorder that he is dealing with, specifically antisocial personality disorder, than purely just depression. While he may have a mood disorder, his 20+ years of taking advantage of people speaks more to a personality issue than just major depression.

While it still is a mental health issue, personality disorders are generally harder to treat with modern psychiatric medications, but there has been good results shown with long term therapy.

Whether Chip is truly getting help for his mental health is anyone's guess. I for one hope he is getting the help he needs and that he is being evaluated by a doctor who can diagnose and treat this kind of maladaptive behavior.

For the sake of the board's integrity, I cannot support anyone who takes advantage of the good will of respectable members. Given Chip's long pattern of deception, to think that he can change overnight would be a medical miracle. Even with 6 months of therapy, I can tell you from my experience he still has a long way to go.

-John

As someone who is in the medical field, you should know how completely inappropriate it is to be speculating on any sort of diagnosis without having met the individual.

Once again, people should be voting based on the facts, not based on ill informed attempts at medical diagnosis based on internet history. There is plenty of factual information to support an HOS vote without indulging in careless speculation.

He is not my patient, and I am not offering him any medical advice. And by no means am I trying to sway anyone's opinion based on what his history is. His public information is out there, and this does not come close to violating any HIPAA privacy rules, so give me a break. I am free to discuss as I wish, so you can get off your high horse.

I have every right to discuss what I think could be going on given what little history I know. Does it make my assessment 100% correct? Maybe yes, maybe no. Which is why I hoped for his sake he was receiving proper medical care from a licensed Psychiatrist.

My post was more to inform those about the speculation behind his mental health and thinking that his behavior is somehow a by-product of his depression. His extensive history of maladaptive behavior smells more like a personality disorder to me, and I have no problem mentioning that on a public forum.

He was referring to the ethics of diagnosing someone you have not met. (Hint: it is a no-no.)

Having been burned by Chip on a recent deal as well from his thread in November, I would like to vote on this matter as well in order for others to avoid my same mistake of not researching this seller further prior to sending payment.

Please advise either here or via PM how to best proceed in doing so.

Having been burned by Chip on a recent deal as well from his thread in November, I would like to vote on this matter as well in order for others to avoid my same mistake of not researching this seller further prior to sending payment.

Please advise either here or via PM how to best proceed in doing so.

Sent:

Here it is for others as well: Should Chip Cataldo be in the Hall of Shame?

It's all unfortunate. Speculating about his health doesn't really accomplish anything. I'm still out goods from his last sales thread. I knew that was a risk when I made the purchases, and the risk materialized. Myself, I won't buy from him again. I don't have any ill will towards him, but I just won't throw my money away again (at least not there :P ).

I agree that there is no point or reason to speculation about his mental health. I think the only reason it is being discussed is due to the fact that some continue to try to defend what he has done and continues to do because of mental health issues. I think it is an absolute slap in the face and insult to those really suffering from mental health issues and depression. I have plenty of loved ones with serious clinical depression spanning decades and some with other forms of mental health illness. None have continually ripped off and scammed others and they've never used their issues to their benefit. It's a terrible burden they had to shoulder and live with and many do it silently. To screw people over and declare "I have a mental illness" in defense is repulsive. And those that defend him or provide some sort of "poor Chip" and try to sway others because you personally have been played as a fool, :facepalm:

It's all unfortunate. Speculating about his health doesn't really accomplish anything. I'm still out goods from his last sales thread. I knew that was a risk when I made the purchases, and the risk materialized. Myself, I won't buy from him again. I don't have any ill will towards him, but I just won't throw my money away again (at least not there :P ).

I'm sorry that happened to you. This is the main reason I only buy from a very small group of trusted board members whom I respect and trust, if they don't have what I want, I'll wait until they do. This way I never get burned. A big thank you to those guys ( you know who you are). (worship)

As someone who is currently in the medical field, Chip's long history of manipulation, stealing, and lack of remorse makes me think that this is more of a personality disorder that he is dealing with, specifically antisocial personality disorder, than purely just depression. While he may have a mood disorder, his 20+ years of taking advantage of people speaks more to a personality issue than just major depression.

While it still is a mental health issue, personality disorders are generally harder to treat with modern psychiatric medications, but there has been good results shown with long term therapy.

Whether Chip is truly getting help for his mental health is anyone's guess. I for one hope he is getting the help he needs and that he is being evaluated by a doctor who can diagnose and treat this kind of maladaptive behavior.

For the sake of the board's integrity, I cannot support anyone who takes advantage of the good will of respectable members. Given Chip's long pattern of deception, to think that he can change overnight would be a medical miracle. Even with 6 months of therapy, I can tell you from my experience he still has a long way to go.

-John

I thought Chip mentioned he was diagnosed as bi-polar

-John

I believe he did when he said he was hospitalized but then again you are dealing with a habitual liar.

-John

I believe he did when he said he was hospitalized but then again you are dealing with a habitual liar.

or a narcissist or sociopath

I agree that there is no point or reason to speculation about his mental health. I think the only reason it is being discussed is due to the fact that some continue to try to defend what he has done and continues to do because of mental health issues. I think it is an absolute slap in the face and insult to those really suffering from mental health issues and depression. I have plenty of loved ones with serious clinical depression spanning decades and some with other forms of mental health illness. None have continually ripped off and scammed others and they've never used their issues to their benefit. It's a terrible burden they had to shoulder and live with and many do it silently. To screw people over and declare "I have a mental illness" in defense is repulsive. And those that defend him or provide some sort of "poor Chip" and try to sway others because you personally have been played as a fool, :facepalm:

My bold above. The problem is not people trying to "defend what he has done". No single person has posted defending any of his actions. For me, the problem with the discussion of mental illness is that the only source we have for the existence of his alleged mental illness is Chip.

If Chip is truly ill, time will disclose that. No need for debates based on speculation.

Rules were broken. Community trust has been eroded. The inability to fufill deals that were already closed while looking to open new deals has been established. A pattern of this type of behavior has been established and that alone is enough to move forward with. Hopefully Chip can get his act together, but it really sounds like the comic part of his life is the least of his worries. Not minimizing the mess others that purchased from him are going through, but the comic side is just a reflection of his life in general.

Voted.

I never got a "good vibe" from Chip...It always seemed like he was using his family as an "angle" just like how he uses a pic of his daughter as his avatar.

Regardless of the "root cause" of his "problems", whether it be a mental illness or him just being a , the result is the same, he has shown a pattern of deception and inability and/or unwillingness to live up to his responsibilities. He knows what is right and what is wrong. That is all that should matter.

My bold above. The problem is not people trying to "defend what he has done". No single person has posted defending any of his actions. For me, the problem with the discussion of mental illness is that the only source we have for the existence of his alleged mental illness is Chip.

Ok. Not "defend what he has done", but make excuses for and try to mitigate what he has done and rebuke and turn down the level of criticism thrown his way.