• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,201 posts in this topic

48 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

You need to send him a separate PM Rich, letting him know about the nomination.  I believe he has 72 hours to respond.  Noobs.  :facepalm:

I actually already did that---once about 2 wks ago, maybe?  And then after no reply (again) I sent another yesterday.

4 hours ago, Rich_Henn said:

I may need some help here, in light of the new message boards too :preach:

So, I've only once ever before recommended someone for the probation list.

And now I have a second.  And I shouldn't be surprised, what with just two posts to his credit.

But I've given the board member ample time to pay.  The book in question just sits here, no response to PM or email.

@Stef_le_Preux

Stef_le_Preux has been unresponsive for weeks, I've re-sent a paypal invoice twice, plus reminders,  plus email query and in cases like this, it's my experience that said customer typically has no intention on paying.   Initial invoice sent April 19th, with a follow up invoice Aug. 7th after a claim that he never received the first invoice.

Radio silence.   At this point I have no choice but to recommend this person to the probation list.

What's the next step?  I honestly have forgotten, as this is only the second time for me  doh! 

I think you notify him that you're nominating him for the list, and why.

I'm kind of sad about posting this.

On Oct 7th, FreeCharlie claimed a bunch of books in my TOS/TTA sales thread. I sent an invoice the next day and he responded right away, said he was paying then. When I didn't see the payment, I thought perhaps there was some kind of error.    I asked if there was a problem, he responded he was calling PP the next morning and would be paying after 9am.

I said OK, but then I didn't hear back, so I contacted him again. He said there was a problem with some charges on PP and they were sending a new credit card, that he wanted the books. He offered to make a partial payment with a debit card, because he wanted the books.

I said I understood and I asked when he thought he would be straightened out, he said a day or so (I"m paraphrasing). I said fine, things happen, but that was leaving the area the following Tuesday, flying home, to please let me know when he got his card, so I'd know if I should take the books with me (so I could send them from there) or leave them with my daughter to mail if he was going to pay shortly. 

He didn't answer, then I got a response saying to let him know if I was taking the books with me, that he was very sorry, he did want the books.

He seemed like a really really nice guy, so I wanted to give him leeway. I did tell him, I understood that stuff could happen, but he needed to communicate what was going on to me. I didn't hear back.

So, I wrote again and I told him that they were all packed, but  I'd take them with me and that he could pay by the following week.

I never heard back from him after that although I wrote a few times. The last time he read my PM was 10/14. 

What irks me, is he's been online here since  and has not responded to me and I found out he paid another seller who he bought a book from at the same time as he claimed mine.  The other seller said he was just a few days late, so he obviously was able to use PP.

So, it's 30 days on the 7th. I'm not sure if I've messed myself up here regarding the dates by saying he could have another week, but I did send him a separate PM just now about the probation list.

I'm honestly surprised that he has not responded. I even wrote to ask if he was OK?  I got no response. 

I would have opened the thread again, or put the books on eBay, but since he said that he wanted the books, more than once, I guess I'll continue to hold them at least for a while longer. That's the one flaw with this system;) 

However, probation list or not, I just don't want someone else to get stuck in never never land holding books for him, so this is a heads up. If someone knows him and speaks to him, please tell him just to contact me and let me know what is going on. I even left my cell number.

If I don't hear from him by the 7th, I'll post again.

16 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:
Spoiler

On Oct 7th, FreeCharlie claimed a bunch of books in my TOS/TTA sales thread. I sent an invoice the next day and he responded right away, said he was paying then. When I didn't see the payment, I thought perhaps there was some kind of error.    I asked if there was a problem, he responded he was calling PP the next morning and would be paying after 9am.

I said OK, but then I didn't hear back, so I contacted him again. He said there was a problem with some charges on PP and they were sending a new credit card, that he wanted the books. He offered to make a partial payment with a debit card, because he wanted the books.

I said I understood and I asked when he thought he would be straightened out, he said a day or so (I"m paraphrasing). I said fine, things happen, but that was leaving the area the following Tuesday, flying home, to please let me know when he got his card, so I'd know if I should take the books with me (so I could send them from there) or leave them with my daughter to mail if he was going to pay shortly. 

He didn't answer, then I got a response saying to let him know if I was taking the books with me, that he was very sorry, he did want the books.

He seemed like a really really nice guy, so I wanted to give him leeway. I did tell him, I understood that stuff could happen, but he needed to communicate what was going on to me. I didn't hear back.

So, I wrote again and I told him that they were all packed, but  I'd take them with me and that he could pay by the following week.

I never heard back from him after that although I wrote a few times. The last time he read my PM was 10/14. 

What irks me, is he's been online here since  and has not responded to me and I found out he paid another seller who he bought a book from at the same time as he claimed mine.  The other seller said he was just a few days late, so he obviously was able to use PP.

So, it's 30 days on the 7th. I'm not sure if I've messed myself up here regarding the dates by saying he could have another week, but I did send him a separate PM just now about the probation list.

I'm honestly surprised that he has not responded. I even wrote to ask if he was OK?  I got no response. 

I would have opened the thread again, or put the books on eBay, but since he said that he wanted the books, more than once, I guess I'll continue to hold them at least for a while longer. That's the one flaw with this system;) 

However, probation list or not, I just don't want someone else to get stuck in never never land holding books for him, so this is a heads up. If someone knows him and speaks to him, please tell him just to contact me and let me know what is going on. I even left my cell number.

Wow - sorry to hear this, Sha.  I cannot imagine anyone being more patient, cooperative, and just plain nice than you.  It seems you went through extra efforts to be responsive and send the books by packing and traveling with them as soon as they were paid and if he posted since the last contact, that always raises my dander.  I have never even heard of this forumite.  

I do hope he steps up and resolves this and realizes what his actions will do to his reputation and ability to participate in this community.  

Good luck and I hope all is well with the family and everything else.

15 minutes ago, telerites said:

Wow - sorry to hear this, Sha.  I cannot imagine anyone being more patient, cooperative, and just plain nice than you.  It seems you went through extra efforts to be responsive and send the books by packing and traveling with them as soon as they were paid and if he posted since the last contact, that always raises my dander.  I have never even heard of this forumite.  

I do hope he steps up and resolves this and realizes what his actions will do to his reputation and ability to participate in this community.  

Good luck and I hope all is well with the family and everything else.

Thanks, Jeff.

I had a credit card cloned this past summer, so I really did understand, and I figured that was the problem...but not answering me, well after a while, it gets old;)  Things are good, thanks, I'll send you a pm:)

On 10/28/2017 at 8:52 AM, skypinkblu said:

Thanks, Jeff.

I had a credit card cloned this past summer, so I really did understand, and I figured that was the problem...but not answering me, well after a while, it gets old;)  Things are good, thanks, I'll send you a pm:)

OT but people worry a lot about skimming devices on ATMs or gas pumps.  It occurred to me a while back that your card is at greater risk at restaurants.  You hand it over to the server, and he/she disappears for a few minutes with it.  Not too hard for the server to duck into the restroom and take quick pics of the front and back of the card.  I'm pretty sure this happened to us a couple of a years ago when a few hours after we went to a restaurant, our card company contacted us about a raft of bogus charges that showed up on our card. We weren't crazy about the restaurant anyway, so it wasn't a hardship to never go back.

Back OT:  I agree that the lack of communication can drive you crazy.  Appears as if he doesn't intend to buy the books but isn't willing to own up to saying so directly.

1 minute ago, Sqeggs said:

OT but people worry a lot about skimming devices on ATMs or gas pumps.  It occurred to me a while back that your card is at greater risk at restaurants.  You hand it over to the server, and he/she disappears for a few minutes with it.  Not too hard for the server to duck into the restroom and take quick pics of the front and back of the card.  I'm pretty sure this happened to us a couple of a years ago when a few hours after we went to a restaurant, our card company contacted us about a raft of bogus charges that showed up on our card. We weren't crazy about the restaurant anyway, so it wasn't a hardship to never go back.

Back OT:  I agree that the lack of communication can drive you crazy.  Appears as if he doesn't intend to buy the books but isn't willing to own up to saying so directly.

I worked front of house for many years,and this did happen at one of the places I worked at...the owner(that at times tended bar,served tables) was keeping doubles of the carbon imprints(yah,i'm getting old) and selling them to one of his unsavoury crook pals.

5 hours ago, porcupine48 said:
5 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

I worked front of house for many years,and this did happen at one of the places I worked at...the owner(that at times tended bar,served tables) was keeping doubles of the carbon imprints(yah,i'm getting old) and selling them to one of his unsavoury crook pals.

I had the carbon thing happen when my daughter was a baby, I was buying diapers at Toys R Us. Got a bill for $1800 worth of sunglasses and $1800 worth of sneakers from the Bronx ( a place I was not living in at the time)

So I understood if there was a problem, really.  Just feel it would be nice if he'd respond. 

If I don't hear from him by raffle time, I'm donating the books to the Christmas raffle, all boxed, with the magnet;) Lemons from Lemonade...(but I hope people on the probation list can't participate;)

7 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Effing fast food worker got me. I got my money back, but screw that guy

On 10/28/2017 at 8:13 AM, skypinkblu said:

OK, it's more than a month and still no response. I guess I'll go with Arch's separate thread thing, but I am going to nominate freecharlie (Stephen) for the probation list.

3 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

OK, it's more than a month and still no response. I guess I'll go with Arch's separate thread thing, but I am going to nominate freecharlie (Stephen) for the probation list.

I was actually going to ask about this yesterday since you had thought you might post again with an update and when I didn't see anything, I was hopeful @freecharlie had taken care of his debt and purchase.  It appears he would prefer to have his reputation spoiled here.  It is such a shame to so easily sever one's ability to buy and sell here or really even participate in discussions with a PL label attached.

Again, sorry for all of this Sha.  

1 hour ago, telerites said:

I was actually going to ask about this yesterday since you had thought you might post again with an update and when I didn't see anything, I was hopeful @freecharlie had taken care of his debt and purchase.  It appears he would prefer to have his reputation spoiled here.  It is such a shame to so easily sever one's ability to buy and sell here or really even participate in discussions with a PL label attached.

Again, sorry for all of this Sha.  

Thanks, Jeff. I had mixed feelings about posting, he seemed like a nice guy. But I believe in letting other's know about problems. 

It's a shame, I thought at first something happened to him, but as I mentioned, he was on the boards 10/26 and never answered my pms.

18 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

Thanks, Jeff. I had mixed feelings about posting, he seemed like a nice guy. But I believe in letting other's know about problems. 

It's a shame, I thought at first something happened to him, but as I mentioned, he was on the boards 10/26 and never answered my pms.

I wonder if folks know you can tell when they visit the boards even though they don't post.  I purposely used @freecharlie so he most received an email saying he had been mentioned in a post (if he is signed up for notifications like this) but regardless.  He posted last 10-9 and visited 10-26 maybe assuming he as stealth if he didn't post.  

He is now tarnished unfortunately until he makes amends and pays for what he claimed and that stigma of PL may follow him even if he does eventually pay his debt.  

Need some advice. Have a very senior boardie who claimed few high end golds via pm. Worked out a payment plan. It has been 8 days since claiming. It was agreed first payment would be here by end of January.

With that said, while this was agreed upon he bridges a partial trade deal. I made it very clear in multiple responses I didn’t want his hopes up a trade would work and we would fall back on original deal should it not work out. He said no problem. Long story short I wasn’t comfortable with trade so I said let’s proceed with payment plan.

He said he believed a trade was immenient and said he spent all his money buying other books so couldn’t pay for mine.  I said fine let’s do trade (at this point I just wanted deal done to move on.)

Still today he is claiming books in threads left in right. I don’t think this is fair when he said he couldn’t settle with me.

Pm is now at four pages of back and forth and he keeps claiming other people’s books but hasn’t settled up. When does 30 Days kick in? This morning I said send check and book and I will send you books as trade or let’s cancel the deal so I can move on as you clearly arent going to pay. Haven’t heard back since and feel like he is just dragging this out. 

What do I do at this point? 

Edited by 1p36DSA

33 minutes ago, 1p36DSA said:

Need some advice. Have a very senior boardie who claimed few high end golds via pm. Worked out a payment plan. It has been 8 days since claiming. It was agreed first payment would be here by end of January.

With that said, while this was agreed upon he bridges a partial trade deal. I made it very clear in multiple responses I didn’t want his hopes up a trade would work and we would fall back on original deal should it not work out. He said no problem. Long story short I wasn’t comfortable with trade so I said let’s proceed with payment plan.

He said he believed a trade was immenient and said he spent all his money buying other books so couldn’t pay for mine.  I said fine let’s do trade (at this point I just wanted deal done to move on.)

Still today he is claiming books in threads left in right. I don’t think this is fair when he said he couldn’t settle with me.

Pm is now at four pages of back and forth and he keeps claiming other people’s books but hasn’t settled up. When does 30 Days kick in? This morning I said send check and book and I will send you books as trade or let’s cancel the deal so I can move on as you clearly arent going to pay. Haven’t heard back since and feel like he is just dragging this out. 

What do I do at this point? 

I would tell them the next step is you're going to take it to the probation discussion.  There's no excuse for someone to back out of a deal.  If you claim it, you pay for it.  If you don't pay for books you claim, you should lose the privilege to do so.  Being a senior boardie should never exclude someone from the rules which are designed to keep the boards a safe place to buy/sell.  At least thats my opinion.