• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,202 posts in this topic

I must admit that I should not have tried to pass off the book as my own and instead should have offered it with the notion of a finders fee. For that I apologize to the OP.

No one ever wants to risk giving up that they have a honey hole and I’m paying the price for it now.

If I ever offer a book that I don’t already have in hand, I always personally inspect it before completing the deal. I never list books publicly here on the boards for sale that I don’t personally have in hand. The books from my sales threads that didn’t sell were moved to ebay and were in my possession at the time of the sale. 

From time to time I will send messages to boardies that have WTB threads to see if facilitating a sale is worth the time. If it looks like a deal is possible, I never send a buyer a book that I don’t first process myself. I have purchased many books and offered them here on the boards in the past with no issues.

OP had posted a WTB thread and I had messaged him about the book directly. In hindsight, I should have been more forthcoming that I did not have the book in hand at the time. Lesson learned. If this causes others to not trust me in future transactions then I understand, but I believe you all deserve to hear my side of the story at the end of the day.

2 hours ago, jjfversion1 said:

I must admit that I should not have tried to pass off the book as my own and instead should have offered it with the notion of a finders fee. For that I apologize to the OP.

No one ever wants to risk giving up that they have a honey hole and I’m paying the price for it now.

If I ever offer a book that I don’t already have in hand, I always personally inspect it before completing the deal. I never list books publicly here on the boards for sale that I don’t personally have in hand. The books from my sales threads that didn’t sell were moved to ebay and were in my possession at the time of the sale. 

From time to time I will send messages to boardies that have WTB threads to see if facilitating a sale is worth the time. If it looks like a deal is possible, I never send a buyer a book that I don’t first process myself. I have purchased many books and offered them here on the boards in the past with no issues.

OP had posted a WTB thread and I had messaged him about the book directly. In hindsight, I should have been more forthcoming that I did not have the book in hand at the time. Lesson learned. If this causes others to not trust me in future transactions then I understand, but I believe you all deserve to hear my side of the story at the end of the day.

Well done for having the guts to come here, apologise and explain. It's more than I've seen others do. You've basically attempted to do what pretty much every comic dealer does in essence - sell a book for more than you paid for it. The circumstances haven't presented well for you, but you have had the sense to admit that and to see that being up front with people is probably the better way to go in future. And maybe be a little less aggressive with the profit margin? Anyway, everyone makes mistakes. It's how you deal with them and learn from them that matters I think. Good luck to you and the OP. 

5 hours ago, comicdonna said:

I just went back and read the long list of lies you said, in an attempt to sell a book you didn't own.  I am amazed at what some people will do for money.  You should be really ashamed of yourself.  

Yep. I own the book. It's in my safe security box. I'll check the book more closely. I've decided not to sell. 

8 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Well done for having the guts to come here, apologise and explain. It's more than I've seen others do. You've basically attempted to do what pretty much every comic dealer does in essence - sell a book for more than you paid for it. The circumstances haven't presented well for you, but you have had the sense to admit that and to see that being up front with people is probably the better way to go in future. And maybe be a little less aggressive with the profit margin? Anyway, everyone makes mistakes. It's how you deal with them and learn from them that matters I think. Good luck to you and the OP. 

It doesn't take guts to own up to something after being caught doing something shady. Comes across more to me like damage control because even when word doesn't get around publicly, word does get around..if you get my drift.

I've seen some pretty krappy things here, but this ranks among the worst. Not the fact that he tried to flip a book he didn't actually own...I've seen that before...but the lies to try and cover it up..ughh.

I saw a guy here lie about his father having a terminable disease and get put on the HoS. How this type of behavior isn't HoS worthy is beyond me.

If the OP nominated the "seller" for the HoS I would vote for that in a heartbeat.

5 hours ago, comicdonna said:

I just went back and read the long list of lies you said, in an attempt to sell a book you didn't own.  I am amazed at what some people will do for money.  You should be really ashamed of yourself.  

It's HoS worthy and that "apology" is absolutely worthless IMHO.

36 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

It doesn't take guts to own up to something after being caught doing something shady. Comes across more to me like damage control because even when word doesn't get around publicly, word does get around..if you get my drift.

I've seen some pretty krappy things here, but this ranks among the worst. Not the fact that he tried to flip a book he didn't actually own...I've seen that before...but the lies to try and cover it up..ughh.

I saw a guy here lie about his father having a terminable disease and get put on the HoS. How this type of behavior isn't HoS worthy is beyond me.

If the OP nominated the "seller" for the HoS I would vote for that in a heartbeat.

Maybe you're right. I've been watching far too many life affirming things on the telly recently that I came over all human and forgiving. Which probably makes me a right pillock.

Anyway, 1794 pages this thread. 1794! 

People....

This is disturbing to say the least.  Do we know what the real owner of the book was asking or would have taken if they were to sell it.  Just wondering if instead of a finder's fee, a quick flip was the motivation but the real owner either wanted more than jj expected and a flip wasn't in the cards or the real owner didn't want to sell at all.

Crazy stuff.

36 minutes ago, telerites said:

This is disturbing to say the least.  Do we know what the real owner of the book was asking or would have taken if they were to sell it.  Just wondering if instead of a finder's fee, a quick flip was the motivation but the real owner either wanted more than jj expected and a flip wasn't in the cards or the real owner didn't want to sell at all.

Crazy stuff.

Here is the original post, explains all

5 minutes ago, Mr Sneeze said:

Here is the original post, explains all

I read that but I was referring to jj's response of the finder's fee which may have been his intention - I was just positing that perhaps a flip was the end game.  I don't think it was disclosed who owns the book in question or how much the owner would sell it for if it is for sale at all.

22 hours ago, comicquant said:

Who actually owned this book?

44 minutes ago, telerites said:

I read that but I was referring to jj's response of the finder's fee which may have been his intention - I was just positing that perhaps a flip was the end game.  I don't think it was disclosed who owns the book in question or how much the owner would sell it for if it is for sale at all.

The non-owner was asking $2,000. The real owner was asking $999, which is what I paid to complete the run of Blue Bolts I wanted (although I’m still looking for a higher grade, preferably a slabbed 7.0 or better, from a legit seller, of course😉). I did not put the real owner’s name here because he is not a member, and I’m not comfortable doing so without his permission. I have done several transactions with him (the real owner) over the course of the past 2-3 years, and he’s a very nice guy.

JJfversion1 has apologized, I got the book I wanted, and hopefully this will prevent others from similar practices in the future. Everyone makes mistakes, and I understand that there are a lot of   Pump-and-dump flippers on here. For some, it is strictly business, and I’m okay with that as long as there’s no... er, funny business. 

There are so many cool discussions here, I’ve learned about countless titles and authors I would otherwise never know about, and it’s a great place to learn and network. I’d rather we both move past this.

That’s my long winded way of saying I accept his apology. 

4 minutes ago, thewritestuff said:

The non-owner was asking $2,000. The real owner was asking $999, which is what I paid to complete the run of Blue Bolts I wanted (although I’m still looking for a higher grade, preferably a slabbed 7.0 or better, from a legit seller, of course😉). I did not put the real owner’s name here because he is not a member, and I’m not comfortable doing so without his permission. I have done several transactions with him (the real owner) over the course of the past 2-3 years, and he’s a very nice guy.

JJfversion1 has apologized, I got the book I wanted, and hopefully this will prevent others from similar practices in the future. Everyone makes mistakes, and I understand that there are a lot of   Pump-and-dump flippers on here. For some, it is strictly business, and I’m okay with that as long as there’s no... er, funny business. 

There are so many cool discussions here, I’ve learned about countless titles and authors I would otherwise never know about, and it’s a great place to learn and network. I’d rather we both move past this.

That’s my long winded way of saying I accept his apology. 

Well written post and no pun intended considering your board name.  :smile:

8 hours ago, Logan510 said:

:cloud9: Solarcadet

Maybe it's time to coin a new term.

Cool Books ™ was coined as a term to show that people would deal with anyone no matter how slimy they were because Cool Books ™

I think the new term is Cool Profit ™ Have a chance to double your money, even if the book isn't yours to sell? Make up any story to cover your honey hole and make that Cool Profit ™

:(

18 hours ago, Logan510 said:

I had forgotten all about that guy.  And agree on the krappy factor regarding jj's intentions and behavior - truly sad.

5 hours ago, telerites said:

I had forgotten all about that guy.  And agree on the krappy factor regarding jj's intentions and behavior - truly sad.

It is sad. I really have no sense of any real community here anymore. I have my small group of friends and online acquaintances ( sorry, I can't call anyone I've never met face to face "friend" ) and that's enough for me 2c

23 hours ago, skypinkblu said:
On 9/2/2019 at 12:08 AM, jjfversion1 said:

I find this statement sad in many ways. 
The statement that really bothers me  was "No one ever wants to risk giving up that they have a honey hole".  That's certainly not been the case for most of the people I've dealt with on here. I have had many people help me find books merely by pointing me to an auction or a seller, or offering me a decent price on a book they own. I have even had someone offer to GO to an auction and bid for me.

I just pointed someone to a book I knew they might want.  He was very pleased that he got it and I was pleased as well. That sense of camaraderie was what made this forum great. This racing for profit thing (the "honey hole") really takes away from all of that.

Do I mind that you make a profit on books, no, of course not. Does it bother me that  you doubled the price? Yes, it does...it would not have bothered me if you had owned the book for years, or even if  you had been upfront, but the way this went down is just sad.

Maybe you have seen the light and your apology is genuine. If that is the case you could prove it by actually helping another collector or two find books they need without only thinking about how much you could make from the deal.

I'm hoping to see that one of these days, to me, THAT would prove the apology.

You might even have fun with the hobby and feel good about doing it. I hope so.

I typed out a response to jjfversion yesterday and it came across so angry I deleted it.

It would be nice to see a post that unequivocally admits repeatedly telling lies rather than this self serving mess that characterizes lies as 'not being forthcoming' 

Edited by thehumantorch