• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,201 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, mattn792 said:

I feel I'd be remiss if I didn't point out this newbie treating the boards like eBay@PLopes, feel free to respond.

In his WTB Thread, he's looking for a book for a "little less" than the $1,500 it typically sells for.

Regarding him not being able to afford your $40 book.......I'd say he's full of s**t.

PLopes.thumb.jpg.262fb2f25add425556a91f7dc990419e.jpg

Edited by Domo Arigato

I was once in the position to flip a dealer's book to a boardie for a cool $1000 in profit. Then I thought, well hell... this really IS a special community here. So I rounded it down to $970.

On 9/17/2019 at 8:07 AM, mattn792 said:

I feel I'd be remiss if I didn't point out this newbie treating the boards like eBay@PLopes, feel free to respond.

Untitled.png

You were way too nice IMHO. If I'm in the right mood I enjoy lecturing people on how better to handle their finances so a $40 purchase won't be the end of the world lol

6 hours ago, Logan510 said:
On 9/17/2019 at 9:07 AM, mattn792 said:

Untitled.png

You were way too nice IMHO. If I'm in the right mood I enjoy lecturing people on how better to handle their finances so a $40 purchase won't be the end of the world lol

Honestly I've had a bunch of these fly-by-nighters before. I let them off the hook, they promise not to do it again and that is usually their last post. I guess it never occurred to me to out each one here separately. Maybe I'll do an end-of-year PM montage or something.

On 9/20/2019 at 3:02 PM, Logan510 said:

You're also being too nice.  I'd tell anyone that doesn't follow through on a commitment to buy or sell that when their word means nothing they have no integrity.  It's not just the about the sum of money.  :sumo:

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 8:07 AM, mattn792 said:

Spoiler

Untitled.png

To complete the record, I had this waiting in my inbox this morning:

"Ok, well first off I want to apologize.   I overreacted and me backing out of the deal was a move.  No excuses for my behavior.  The truth is I've been trying to find a Wolverine #1 Campbell deadpool variant for around 1500 bucks.  That's what I saved for the purchase so far.  I even posted a WTB ad which got no responses.  Well at the time I contacted you for your book I was also in contact with a seller on ebay who had just sold that comic in a signature series for 1750.  The seller previously sold this comic for 2650 to a non paying bidder and now the current buyer of this comic for 1750 was not paying so he offered it to me for the same price.  His offer was sent to me after I contacted you.  Since I've wanted this comic forever i bought it, putting myself 250 bucks in the hole.  That kinda freaked me out so the first thing i thought to do was cancel with you.  Plus that's the most expensive comic I've bought to date.  Cant say I had buyers remorse, guess I was just nervous spending that much.  I should've just chilled out and realized that i could make both purchases and work overtime to cover it.  That's actually what ive been doing this last week is working ot.  I saw the post you put on me and I deserve it but just thought I'd let you know my side of the story.  I didnt want to respond on there either cause I'm more of a person to person kinda guy.  I really don't do chatboards.  So anyway, my apologies and I was serious about getting the book but I understand if ur done doing business with me.  Ultimately it's my bad."

No planned response from my side, it is what it is at this point.

4 hours ago, mattn792 said:

To complete the record, I had this waiting in my inbox this morning:

"Ok, well first off I want to apologize.   I overreacted and me backing out of the deal was a move.  No excuses for my behavior.  The truth is I've been trying to find a Wolverine #1 Campbell deadpool variant for around 1500 bucks.  That's what I saved for the purchase so far.  I even posted a WTB ad which got no responses.  Well at the time I contacted you for your book I was also in contact with a seller on ebay who had just sold that comic in a signature series for 1750.  The seller previously sold this comic for 2650 to a non paying bidder and now the current buyer of this comic for 1750 was not paying so he offered it to me for the same price.  His offer was sent to me after I contacted you.  Since I've wanted this comic forever i bought it, putting myself 250 bucks in the hole.  That kinda freaked me out so the first thing i thought to do was cancel with you.  Plus that's the most expensive comic I've bought to date.  Cant say I had buyers remorse, guess I was just nervous spending that much.  I should've just chilled out and realized that i could make both purchases and work overtime to cover it.  That's actually what ive been doing this last week is working ot.  I saw the post you put on me and I deserve it but just thought I'd let you know my side of the story.  I didnt want to respond on there either cause I'm more of a person to person kinda guy.  I really don't do chatboards.  So anyway, my apologies and I was serious about getting the book but I understand if ur done doing business with me.  Ultimately it's my bad."

No planned response from my side, it is what it is at this point.

I think there's nothing more to be said, it is what it is.

Also, I have something more to say:  Unless you are buying comics that I'm selling, please do not buy comics if you have to urgently work overtime to cover your costs (comic or otherwise) THIS MONTH. Unless you're in it for a quick and profitable flip, I promise you your money is better spent elsewhere. 

Yes, I know what you're saying "Revat don't judge how I spend my money, not all of us can afford an awesome collection like you without working overtime, you own a Fine Minus ASM 300 with slight color touch, and have at least four signature series Darkhawk comics, and you shook hands with Virgil the wrestler at SDCC 2004 outside the men's room (but were denied a picture)."

To that I say "Guilty as charged, I have also had Neal Adams get angry at me for showing him I was wearing a Superman shirt (yes I can afford officially licensed DC tshirts) with his art on it.  But if you want to live in the lap of luxury someday like me with a nearly four long boxes (three of them FULL) and an 80's spinner rack full of comics, you gotta be smarter and save up.  Maybe you too can live as luxuriously as I do, making coffee everyday with an 80's coffee machine and wearing my dad's oversized suitcoats (got my own pants though!) to work."

Point is, everyone has different priorities, if you're backing out of $40 deals (bad no matter what) and/or working overtime to FUND IMMEDIATE COMIC purchases (its different if you save up IMO), you probably need to reassess priorities.