• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

There's nothing wrong with taking time to think things over before providing an answer to any offer, solicited or not.

It's natural to have cold feet from time to time, and I'm sure we've all gotten it at one point or another. That doesn't mean it's not super dejecting to the person on the other side of the table. 

It sounds like this whole thing could've been avoided with a simple "gimme a few days to think on it", rather than the transaction going far enough down the rabbit hole to have gotten an agreement and in to detailed discussions about customs. 

Just my two cents. Heck if I know whether that's probation worthy, I'm not a scientist.

Edited by Legion of Goom

4 hours ago, Math Teacher said:

Here is our conversation, VERBATIM.

ME: I understand completely. So, did you find my offer of $15,000 acceptable? If not, what would you accept?

HIM: I'll accept 15K USD

Please help me understand how I misinterpreted this.

I agree there was a discussion and an agreement to purchase and it is probation worthy.  If it was me I would probably not nominate him because he was approached and seemed somewhat reluctant to sell.

22 hours ago, Math Teacher said:

Here is our conversation, VERBATIM.

ME: I understand completely. So, did you find my offer of $15,000 acceptable? If not, what would you accept?

HIM: I'll accept 15K USD

Please help me understand how I misinterpreted this.

But earlier in the messaging you said it was a hypothetical offer, no? Did you ever clarify that?

I generally find these things fairly black and white, but on this one not as much. The first being he did not have the book for sale to begin with. Should that matter? I don't know, but I find myself taking that into consideration. Also, is there any chance that upon receiving the scans you requested after you made your offer you would have changed your mind? If so, then you didn't really have a deal. And if you wouldn't have backed out, why ask for them after?

I also don't think anyone is attacking you. Seems most people are sympathetic to the situation. 

I think book owner agreed to a deal and then pulled out. But I also am of the opinion that that action is generally not PL worthy, as the PL is to have the wronged party made whole and although you did not buy the book you are out nothing. I myself do not count opportunity as a loss for the purposes of the PL, nor time. I agree those things are important, but for the PL how do we decide what "whole" is, and who decides? No harm to comic, no money spent on comic or shipping or anything, no "real" foul committed. Was it a poor decision, yes. So lessons can and should be learned by both parties, although potential buyer does not appear to be at fault in any way I am sure he can find some lessons here.

1 minute ago, comicquant said:

Wait, you took away the poll? 

It's just hidden for now, there are many many new ids and new votes on that poll all very recent.

It was extended to give him time to vote after his suspension, his banning is permanent, so there was no point in extending the vote.

It's a shame that someone would waste their time making up all those ids, especially when there is a list of who registers each day.

3 minutes ago, cgcmod11 said:

It's just hidden for now, there are many many new ids and new votes on that poll all very recent.

It was extended to give him time to vote after his suspension, his banning is permanent, so there was no point in extending the vote.

It's a shame that someone would waste their time making up all those ids, especially when there is a list of who registers each day.

Okay, I didn’t realize he was permanently banned.  At this point that’s all that matters.  

I hope those who are close to Dylan can get him the help he needs.  Between the manifesto and trying to spike the HOS poll, something is wrong with him.

He may think he’s just being funny or being who he wants to be, but it’s pretty clear some abnormal things are going on in his head.

1 hour ago, comicquant said:

Okay, I didn’t realize he was permanently banned.  At this point that’s all that matters.  

He was banned the other day by the admins for making shill ids to post while he was on a suspension.  So instead of using that as a learning tool,  he's made many many ids.