• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Warning about complaining to silver-arce on ebay!
1 1

111 posts in this topic

I try not to think about it too much, but every time i hear his name it fills me with bitterness

Did he pay you a fair price at least?

I was after around 2000 and he paid 1350 telling me he couldnt afford more. after i agreed he pulled out a huge wad of 20's counted them out and put most back in his pocket. i was 23 and naive (to say the least) and needed the cash.

if i had sold to a dealer / collector who appreciated the books and was friendly i wouldnt care so much, but Darryl was a true arce. neil

Thanks, (thumbs u

I would imagine there will always be another buyer for his books but treating people poorly must impact his long term sales.

He seems to do it a lot to experinced collectors as well.

Customer service is EVERYTHING.

I knew my collection was 'worth' about 5000 by guide but he just wouldnt have it.

I won't be buying from Darryl "Regards Anyway" Jones again.

lol That is definitely his favourite saying.

Sorry to hear that, but unfortunately it's no surprise. Silveracre has been discussed many times before on the boards. They are completely petty and will cheerfully screw you over to eke out a few more bucks...and it's unfortunate, as years ago I had considered them a worthwhile dealer and had spent some good money with them.

Why, here's an entertaining read... hm

(edit: Hello Nick! I see we were thinking along the same lines.) :hi:

Petty is an understatement.

I once ordered a few hundred magazine bags from him, to be collected from a Manchester, England comic mart, which at the time I attended regularly.

When I arrived, he told me he'd decided to sell them all to someone else shortly before, and "unfortunately" :( had none left.

Then he said, very forcefully, "It's OK that?! - Isn't it?! - Yeah?!"

That is, attempted to browbeat me, on my first order with him, into accepting that this selfishness and total lack of concern was somehow acceptable behaviour. (Oh, the mart had only been open an hour, so I wasn't late-in-the-day or anything.)

I thought quietly to myself, "How utterly pathetic and desperate. All over a few comic bags." :mad:(tsk)

I then said, "Well, you could fill my missing order by mail?", to which he replied, in a very angry tone, and pointing extremely aggressively at my face... :o(tsk)

"Yeah, and you'll pay the postage!!"

(This was in front of a pal of mine who has a table at the mart, by the way. I always like to give some indication that I can be substantiated.)

So, regardless of the nature or value of the order you place, a few cheap bags or a CGC Batman 1, the misbehaviour never seems to stop. Personally, this makes my skin crawl, literally, and I can't be far enough away from it. One of many here in Britain, apparently.

IMHO, you should not have said a word. Just stand there, staring at him. It doesn't have to be a mean stare, or even a cold stare. Just stand there for a minute, looking straight at him, not saying anything or conveying any emotion. Then, turn and walk away, with the knowledge that not only will you never do business with him again, but will relay this very story to anyone who mentions him.

Sometimes, silence speaks louder than words...

-slym (just not on a message board)

Its true that price wise there is no difference in the guides between the two bats I got, just wasn't the right one & I (quite nicely) pointed out it was not the one I wanted, as I already had the barcode version & if he had the batman design one could I have that. I was very civil about it & to be blocked as a complainer was just a joke. A complainer would have left a neg for a badly graded copy or wrong comic sent. i would have understood what he did if I had thrown my toys out of the pram about it, but i didn't. soddem!

Sorry to hear that, but unfortunately it's no surprise. Silveracre has been discussed many times before on the boards. They are completely petty and will cheerfully screw you over to eke out a few more bucks...and it's unfortunate, as years ago I had considered them a worthwhile dealer and had spent some good money with them.

I once ordered a few hundred magazine bags from him, to be collected from a Manchester, England comic mart, which at the time I attended regularly.

When I arrived, he told me he'd decided to sell them all to someone else shortly before, and "unfortunately" :( had none left.

That is, attempted to browbeat me, on my first order with him, into accepting that this selfishness and total lack of concern was somehow acceptable behaviour. (Oh, the mart had only been open an hour, so I wasn't late-in-the-day or anything.)

I thought quietly to myself, "How utterly pathetic and desperate. All over a few comic bags." :mad:(tsk)

I then said, "Well, you could fill my missing order by mail?", to which he replied, in a very angry tone, and pointing extremely aggressively at my face... :o(tsk)

(This was in front of a pal of mine who has a table at the mart, by the way. I always like to give some indication that I can be substantiated.)

So, regardless of the nature or value of the order you place, a few cheap bags or a CGC Batman 1, the misbehaviour never seems to stop. Personally, this makes my skin crawl, literally, and I can't be far enough away from it. One of many here in Britain, apparently.

IMHO, you should not have said a word. Just stand there, staring at him. It doesn't have to be a mean stare, or even a cold stare. Just stand there for a minute, looking straight at him, not saying anything or conveying any emotion. Then, turn and walk away, with the knowledge that not only will you never do business with him again, but will relay this very story to anyone who mentions him.

And maybe drop a fart out halfway through.

I bought the first time from silver-acre last year and after reading this story, it will also be the last time.

Same here, although i bought this year before i joined the boards

Another UK dealer with bad grading is East Coast Comics, also known as Rybac on ebay. I think the guys name is Richard Crane. I've only asked for a refund 3 times in my collecting career, 1 of them was Quicksilver and another was Rybac. I bought from him on ebay and at a show (before I could grade any good) and both were badly graded. Then a long time later I wanted a modern that I'd missed and he had it on ebay and even that was poor condition. Not impressed.

And maybe drop a fart out halfway through.

I'd probably beat the mess out of him. (shrug)

But I probably have some anger management issues, so I shouldn't be used as an example! :banana:

I'm a pretty laid-back person, but I'd be very tempted to break silveracre's nose if I ever met him face to face.

Just make sure you count your fingers afterwards. :whistle:

lol I've only had one dealing with the guy, and that was enough . . . :grin:

I'm a pretty laid-back person, but I'd be very tempted to break silveracre's nose if I ever met him face to face.

Just make sure you count your fingers afterwards. :whistle:

lol I've only had one dealing with the guy, and that was enough . . . :grin:

Just got home and caught up on this thread. Thanks for the info everyone. Another turd-of-misery added to my list of who not to ever deal with. (thumbs u

DRX

It might help if you know how he looks :-)

This is Darryl

Darryl first started collecting comic books back in 1978; he had a small collection of about 500 comics, which he sold to a local shop in Leyton in late 1979.

His interest in comics was subsequently re-kindled in 1988, after a visit to a comic shop in Manchester. By late 1989 Darryl had already accumulated several thousand issues. He also attended his first comic mart, as a dealer, at the Griffin Bar Hotel in Leeds, in September of 1989.

Up until 1995, Darryl ran his business from a small warehouse in Pwllheli in Wales; he then moved to a larger warehouse situated in Chester, which enabled him to produce his first mail order catalogue.

In 1998 he bought an even larger warehouse in Chester, from which he still runs his business to this day, also employing five full-time staff. Darryl, together with his wife Melloney, still attends various comic marts up and down the country, and also runs a very successful mail order business through the Silver Acre catalogue and this very website.

The Silver Acre stock currently stands at around 900,000 comics.

Edited by Black Lantern

I've been told in the past that Darryl actually worked very hard in attending lots of shows, setting up early, etc. This didn't make up for treating his customers like though. meh