• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

You gotta love the post office

37 posts in this topic

I love how every postal employee has a different way of interpreting the post office rule book:

I mailed an antique postcard (taped to a piece of bristol board) inside an envelope barely bigger than the card.

I mailed it to Europe.

She says it will be $2.10

I ask her why last time I mailed the exact same thing to Europe it was 98 cents

She says my item is "non-machine-able" so they need to charge more

I ask her what that means

She says that means "the letter does not bend"

I tell her it is a piece of paper inside and last time I mailed it at the same post office I got charged 98 cents

She asks who was the postal employee who did this

I tell her I don't take down names when I mail 98 cent letters

She says the bottom line is that I wrote DO NOT BEND on the envelope so that automatically makes it non-machine-able and therefore they have to charge me double

Hurray for the post office :insane:

They cant feed it through the machine, since you have Do Not Bend written on it.

They have to hand touch that piece.

Ive been told that numerous times at my post office.

that is correct

They cant feed it through the machine, since you have Do Not Bend written on it.

They have to hand touch that piece.

Ive been told that numerous times at my post office.

My point is that every employee interprets things differently

Same situation the week before and it got mailed for 98 cents and I also had DO NOT BEND written on that one

The whole point of writing that anyway it so the mail guy delivering it does not fold it in half when he crams it into the destination mailbox

My favorite thing is when they drill me on what I'm sending out. Since you can't mail out comics (because of the ads) I always have to say 'Its a book.' and hope they don't open my package to inspect it. I've received many open boxes from USPS, with notes informing me they were inspecting the content.

My favorite thing is when they drill me on what I'm sending out. Since you can't mail out comics (because of the ads) I always have to say 'Its a book.' and hope they don't open my package to inspect it. I've received many open boxes from USPS, with notes informing me they were inspecting the content.

That's only happened to me once. The postal dude asked me what was in there and I said "books" and he looked at the thin package and said, "Books?". He seemed like he didnt believe me and sure enough 3 days later I got it back opened and a little note saying it had been inspected and could not be mailed out.

Printing labels online from your home and handing the parcel to the mailperson will avoid that almost every time.

(thumbs u

-slym

Yea but going there gives me something to do during the day! lol

Printing labels online from your home and handing the parcel to the mailperson will avoid that almost every time.

(thumbs u

In Canada the mailperson doesn't pickup mail. You gotta take it to the PO to mail.

Sorry, meant that specifically for BL and PEP...

(thumbs u

-slym

(thumbs u

Yea but going there gives me something to do during the day! lol

Okay... does the PO itself have an inside drop-off for packages besides the counter? My local PO has a little center where you can weigh your parcels, have the computer print off a postage-paid label, and a "door" (much like the opening of an outside mailbox, but it goes right to the back-room/sorting area) that we can drop our boxes in - I never go to the counter anymore, unless it's for International shipping.

-slym

Are you serious? I cannot believe that! I have mailed out thousands of books and never to my knowledge have one opened! I did at one time get several back when an employee of mine forgot to puff the packages to make them big enough to get delivery confirmations. I've never had one opened!

Are you serious? I cannot believe that! I have mailed out thousands of books and never to my knowledge have one opened! I did at one time get several back when an employee of mine forgot to puff the packages to make them big enough to get delivery confirmations. I've never had one opened!

All of the ones working at my local PO swear up and down that you can't send comics through the mail because of the ads inside of the comic.

Seems like you should be thankful you got to send the first one at 1/2 price. (thumbs u

It's not about the money

It's their constant lack of consistentcy

Ask 10 postal workers a question about how to track and insure a package sent to Canada and you will get 10 different answers (half will say it is impossible)

All of the ones working at my local PO swear up and down that you can't send comics through the mail because of the ads inside of the comic.

What if it is a late 1970's DC dollar book that advertised "80 pages - no ads" right on the cover?