• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Manufactured Gold

2,576 posts in this topic

Obviously, someone opened the staples, switched the covers back to their original manufactured positions, put the staples back in their original positions, probably pressed the book, and someone, whether it was the one who did the work or someone who bought it, submitted it. As I have stated before, if nothing was added, CGC does not consider it restoration. There was no restoration (glue, reinforcement, color touch, etc) to be found on this book.

Hang on a minute...as far as I was aware...

Non-disassembly pressing is OK.

Disassembly pressing is resto.

But now disassembly cover swap is NOT resto?

Steve, I'm not trying to be an arse, but I am genuinely confused. confused.gif

Obviously, someone opened the staples, switched the covers back to their original manufactured positions, put the staples back in their original positions, probably pressed the book, and someone, whether it was the one who did the work or someone who bought it, submitted it. As I have stated before, if nothing was added, CGC does not consider it restoration. There was no restoration (glue, reinforcement, color touch, etc) to be found on this book.

Hang on a minute...as far as I was aware...

Non-disassembly pressing is OK.

Disassembly pressing is resto.

But now disassembly cover swap is NOT resto?

Steve, I'm not trying to be an arse, but I am genuinely confused. confused.gif

I'm confused as well. I thought disassembly was a big no-no and considered restoration by CGC.

confused.gif

There is no restoration to be found here.

Steve, even if you feel this book does not fall under your current definition of restoration. Do you not feel that people buying the book would want to know somebody has ripped the staples out, switched the covers, and then replaced the staples....i.e dissasembled it. I know I would.

Sure nothing was added to the book. But c'mon, that is an awful lot of funny business going on to not call it .."something" Especially if you knew about it at time of grading.

I am confused as to why you dont see this, or rather, choose not to.

Or does it just fall under, if it is done well, the book was not harmed. So no harm no foul?

Keep in mind, I am just trying to understand all this. Perhaps it is not restoration, but it is at the least maniplulation.

And to me, both are a no no.

Ze-

There is no restoration to be found here.

Steve, by definition there was disassembly!

One of the OLD ways of pressing books was to disassemble it, soak the pages and cover, dry the pages, re-fold the pages and put it back together. Soaking the cover and pages most of the time would make them look cleaned and is considered restoration (cleaning) by CGC. That is why we have stated that disassembled pressing is not something that should be done and we downgrade when books have defects from being pressed incorrectly. When a book is only disassembled AND the staples are not put back correctly the submitter also takes a big chance of getting a qualified grade for staples replaced. Disassembly and reassembly of a comic book, in and of itself, is not considered to be restoration. Almost all of the time that a comic book is disassembled and reassembled, restoration is performed to it because the reason that it was taken apart was to restore it. The disassembled pressing I mention is a primitive and invasive method of pressing that can result in the book receiving a lower grade and that is why anyone should discourage it.

Disassembly and reassembly of a comic book, in and of itself, is not considered to be restoration.

screwy.gif

You think that this is bad. Wait until nothing is considered restoration, because too many BSDs and auction house have too many $$$ to make off 100% manipulated, production-line 'antique collectibles'.

You heard it here first.

Disassembly and reassembly of a comic book, in and of itself, is not considered to be restoration.

screwy.gif

So...let me see if I understand correctly....

Disassembly of a comic isn't restoration, but putting it back together in a manner where your disassembly is detectable is going to get you flagged (restored or qualified).

um...okay..... screwy.gif

screwy.gif

So...let me see if I understand correctly....

Disassembly of a comic isn't restoration, but putting it back together in a manner where your disassembly is detectable is going to get you flagged (restored or qualified).

um...okay..... screwy.gif

Correct.

It boils down to...if you're good enough, we won't call it resto. If you're sh!te at it, you'll pay.

We're certainly pushing the envelope now! thumbsup2.gif

One of the OLD ways of pressing books was to disassemble it, soak the pages and cover, dry the pages, re-fold the pages and put it back together. Soaking the cover and pages most of the time would make them look cleaned and is considered restoration (cleaning) by CGC. That is why we have stated that disassembled pressing is not something that should be done and we downgrade when books have defects from being pressed incorrectly. When a book is only disassembled AND the staples are not put back correctly the submitter also takes a big chance of getting a qualified grade for staples replaced. Disassembly and reassembly of a comic book, in and of itself, is not considered to be restoration. Almost all of the time that a comic book is disassembled and reassembled, restoration is performed to it because the reason that it was taken apart was to restore it. The disassembled pressing I mention is a primitive and invasive method of pressing that can result in the book receiving a lower grade and that is why anyone should discourage it.

I think you missed using the stooges.gif icon. Because if you're serious, you've now slid the "what is considered resto" conditions back even further to an extent where your resto detection service can now be considered a joke...

Jim

screwy.gif

You think that this is bad. Wait until nothing is considered restoration, because too many BSDs and auction house have too many $$$ to make off 100% manipulated, production-line 'antique collectibles'.

You heard it here first.

folioRock.jpg

screwy.gif

You heard it here first.

Wouldn't be a lot easier to just print counterfeit books? confused-smiley-013.gif

Seemingly NO since nothing was ADDED? confused-smiley-013.gif

You could take this to an extreme and play the semantics game...

You can replace a beat cover with a better cover, as nothing was ADDED, but was instead SUBSTITUTED.

And that goes for interior pages with maybe MVS clipped out...because taking it to pieces is NOT resto (although putting it back together is surely 'restoring' it, but I digress...) and SUBSTITUTING is not ADDING.

I'm afraid that the simplistic 'nothing was added' approach is the gorgonzola of definitions and only works if you're the scammer playing assembly line. yeahok.gif

So how are you guys enjoying being played as total insufficiently_thoughtful_persons?

I'm not enjoying it one bit.

Red

To be honest with you, my already waning confidence took yet another hit today. Not that anything surprises me anymore. But it still stings everytime I log on to see the latest wrinkle to be added, or rather removed from their policy.

Ze-