• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-Men2 Splash

271 posts in this topic

I hope it isnt sold by San Diego Con, I want to hold and droll over it. Last year when the owner of the X-Men #1 had brought it to San Diego Con I had missed seeing it. Was a real bummer. The Silver Surfer #9 cover Burkey has I want to see in person as well.

Nice piece, but the price tag :o

Granted, this piece is out of range for the vast majority of hobbyists no matter the price, but it does illustrate why valuation is so tough, especially at this level with so few comps. Of course, if some uber-rich newbie steps up and pays 150K, then that's what it's worth. But this piece has been shopped in the past (unsuccessfully) to every BSD (and several MSDs) in the hobby at 100K. So whoever gets this at 150K now better be prepared to keep it for a long, long time-- if not be buried with it.

Actually Felix, I beg to differ...as the former owner of this splash, I can say it has NOT been "shopped to every BSD", there were about 3 people offered the piece at a MUCH higher all-cash amount before I worked out a massive art deal with the current owner (Burkey). I DID however loan it to the Hammer Museum for it's Kirby display for about a year, and it has been SEEN by folks who have gone to my art gatherings at my place up in Hollywood, but otherwise, it was in my personal collection for a few years...

...and yeah, it IS really killer in person... :)

You have to remember, while you collect pages from more modern stories (Watchmen, V for Vandetta, Preacher, Killing Joke, etc) which go for some serious cash sometimes, there are some high-end collectors who collect the big "blue chip" classic stuff (Marvel key issues #1-10), with the "big-league" artists like Ditko and Kirby, and play on a whole other collecting level, and the best stuff like splashes (as most covers were destroyed), and complete books of really early Marvel art are very rarely ever available...

I at one time wanted to get the splash to X-Men #1 to go along with the #2, and the former owner of the #1 tried to get me to do the same thing so he could own the #2, but we never could work it out...lol

But when Josh N. got the #1 splash (and the best pages of the X-Men #1 book), it's now not available (I don't blame him), and I gave up on that dream...

Actually Felix, I beg to differ...as the former owner of this splash, I can say it has NOT been "shopped to every BSD", there were about 3 people offered the piece at a MUCH higher all-cash amount before I worked out a massive art deal with the current owner (Burkey). I DID however loan it to the Hammer Museum for it's Kirby display for about a year, and it has been SEEN by folks who have gone to my art gatherings at my place up in Hollywood, but otherwise, it was in my personal collection for a few years...

...and yeah, it IS really killer in person... :)

Wow, I heard that Mike does not own this piece, that it's on consignment...so someone's lying hm

But I will confirm that other collectors were offered this piece for $200K...good thing they passed, they just saved themselves $50K! lol

Well Felix, as usual, you have the wrong info (you seem to do this a lot dude...), and you also have the wrong info as for the amount this piece was actually offered to three people for as well in the past...probably best to check your facts first dude.

I may be crazy in saying this, but aside from X-Men 1, is there really a demand for vintage X-Men art from this particular period - it seems to me that Cockrum, Byrne etc is really the blue chip stuff people are after when it comes to vintage x art... sure, no one will argue the historic value of this piece but really, who is the buyer for this one at 150k? I mean cmon folks. Not only will a potential owner die with this piece at that price (as Felix mentioned in his post) but so will his children and their children and their children and so on. I even know a few guys who actually have that kind of loot and they most certainly think the asking price is beyond outrageous.

I look at collections like Mandel's, Woo's, Robet's and other big spenders in the hobby and I can't recall any of the 3 even making a play for a single X-Men 1 page (I may be wrong in that of course)... so that has got to say something about the demand. Historic no doubt, a beautiful piece w/out question but a silly price at a time in the world when everyone (even the biggest spenders) are thinking twice about how they are dropping their cash.

As a "player" in the big-kids sandbox myself, I made a play for the splash to X-men #1, as well as a few ofthe Magneto pages, but Josh N got all the best stuff...Heritage got the "leftovers"...

Silver Age Marvel keys like X-Men #1-10, Daredevil #1-10, FF # 1-12, 48-50, Avengers #1-5, Spidey # 1-?, will ALWAYS be in demand, problem is, most of it is untouchable at ANY price...most of the larger deals go down quietly behind closed doors, but I myself wouldn't mind being "stuck" with all the splashes (and some of the better panel pages perhaps) from the major Marvel keys...lol

There will always be a market for the "best/historic" Kirby/Ditko stuff, but most of us will never see it...

I may be crazy in saying this, but aside from X-Men 1, is there really a demand for vintage X-Men art from this particular period

Oh, yes. Yes, there is.

If I had six figures to spend...THIS is what I'd spend it on.

Well Felix, as usual, you have the wrong info (you seem to do this a lot dude...), and you also have the wrong info as for the amount this piece was actually offered to three people for as well in the past...probably best to check your facts first dude.

So you're saying you've never offered it to ANYONE for $200K?

And you're saying that Mike OWNS the piece 100%?

What else do I have wrong?

If I do have the facts wrong, and you were able to palm the piece off to Mike...then congrats to you. You found another suck--, er, you made another monster flip (you seem to do this a lot dude...) and now Mike is stuck with it. Good timing!

I may be crazy in saying this, but aside from X-Men 1, is there really a demand for vintage X-Men art from this particular period - it seems to me that Cockrum, Byrne etc is really the blue chip stuff people are after when it comes to vintage x art... sure, no one will argue the historic value of this piece but really, who is the buyer for this one at 150k? I mean cmon folks. Not only will a potential owner die with this piece at that price (as Felix mentioned in his post) but so will his children and their children and their children and so on. I even know a few guys who actually have that kind of loot and they most certainly think the asking price is beyond outrageous.

I look at collections like Mandel's, Woo's, Robet's and other big spenders in the hobby and I can't recall any of the 3 even making a play for a single X-Men 1 page (I may be wrong in that of course)... so that has got to say something about the demand. Historic no doubt, a beautiful piece w/out question but a silly price at a time in the world when everyone (even the biggest spenders) are thinking twice about how they are dropping their cash.

I happen to agree with this, but that's besides the point. The real issue for "players" in the big-kids sandbox (and I'm definitely not one of them) is how do you sell the mega-high dollar pieces? Because when the true BSDs of the hobby pass, where do you go from there?

Of course, the nature of dealers (and dealers-in-collector's-clothing) is to get the maximum amount they can. But it's a tricky business; get too greedy by asking for too much from the select few who can pay it and you risk turning them off. Then it's nowhere to go but down. Or pray for an inexperienced newbie to fleece.

No disrespect to the #1 splash but the #2 is FAR superior in image quality.

ARGUEABLY the single best page in the series...'enuff said.

$150K....out of my league BUT ....

If I had Todd Mc Farlene "stupid $" (Mark Mc Quire joke for da' slow at mind...)...

I'd jump.......

worthless opinion

"No" ....I'm NOT M. Burkey....lol

I think alot of the collectors who seriously go after early Silver age art like X-Men #1-#10 are more private and many don't post their collections publicly on the CAF. While I like Cockrum X-men art and Byrne to a lesser extent, its the early Silver age stuff I grew up reading and would love to own. I will be content with my one X-Men #8 page but for me Silver Surfer series is what a covet. Would love to own any page from issue #1, even pages without the Silver Surfer.

I think alot of the collectors who seriously go after early Silver age art like X-Men #1-#10 are more private and many don't post their collections publicly on the CAF. While I like Cockrum X-men art and Byrne to a lesser extent, its the early Silver age stuff I grew up reading and would love to own. I will be content with my one X-Men #8 page but for me Silver Surfer series is what a covet. Would love to own any page from issue #1, even pages without the Silver Surfer.

Then buy the SS cover Mike also just put up.