• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-Men2 Splash

271 posts in this topic

It's a great splash, no doubt. I myself am interested for this reason (and apologies for repeating something I wrote a few years ago): in any communal activity, from roommates sharing a house to corporations manufacturing and selling a product, you behave according to the precepts of a moral pyramid. (My econ teacher put this on the board in 8th grade -- sparing you an attempt to actually draw a pyramid, imagine these four bases for decisions as if they're in a pyramid shape:

MORAL

LEGAL

ACCEPTED PRACTICE

THE LAW OF THE JUNGLE

I'm sure there's more information on the net about how that works, but my teacher's point 35 years ago was that obviously the best, most helpful way to make decisions was if they had a moral basis, and if not that then a legal, and if not that...

His point was also that more people followed the law of the jungle and fewer the moral path.

Funny, given wikileaks and whatnot, but I've noticed that regardless of the net and the price databases, there is sometimes less and less transparency as time goes on, not more.

I have no idea what's going on with this splash's ownership or pricing, but as the money behind the hobby solidifies, I think an inquiry into where on the moral pyramid a given transaction falls is -- as long as it's factual -- at least interesting if not also an inquiry to how things work around here.

I am saving this one - great post Glen!

Thanks for the bump. I read the entire thread and I would recommend the same if you are a newer player in the OA market as I am. Don’t cheat yourself – the time is worth the education you will get.

Just so you know, you owe Glen a dollar or an ice cold Fresca (dealer's choice) every time you use or refer to the "Glen Gold Pyramid of Moral Madness™"

Deal! Looks like he gets two rounds from today alone (thumbs u

I may be crazy in saying this, but aside from X-Men 1, i

What's the estimated value of X-Men #1 pages, as I know when the book was broken up and auctioned on Heritage, I posted a thread here back in 2008, about 7 years ago when they were selling for I believe $15,000 to $25,000 +/- per page. But, also back then certain Kirby pages were about 1/3 the value they're commanding today.

Do you think an avg page from X-Men #1 goes for $50k and an extraordinary page may hit $75k, with the best pages (all characters in costume vs magneto) hitting $100k + ?

I know a lot of collectors downplay the art for the rendering and inking despite it being a #1 and 1st Appearance issue, so, even 'tho the Fantastic Four are less popular, any page from FF #1 would probably if not definately outshine and out perform an X-Men #1 page in today's world where nobody cares about the FF and the X-Men are still popular and have been more popular than the FF in the past 30 years.

What's the estimated value of X-Men #1 pages, as I know when the book was broken up and auctioned on Heritage, I posted a thread here back in 2008, about 7 years ago when they were selling for I believe $15,000 to $25,000 +/- per page. But, also back then certain Kirby pages were about 1/3 the value they're commanding today.

Do you think an avg page from X-Men #1 goes for $50k and an extraordinary page may hit $75k, with the best pages (all characters in costume vs magneto) hitting $100k + ?

I know a lot of collectors downplay the art for the rendering and inking despite it being a #1 and 1st Appearance issue, so, even 'tho the Fantastic Four are less popular, any page from FF #1 would probably if not definately outshine and out perform an X-Men #1 page in today's world where nobody cares about the FF and the X-Men are still popular and have been more popular than the FF in the past 30 years.

Yes, I believe those value are about right.

You mean what are the current values of incredibly high end pages traded among key players in OA? Are you really going to make me link to several other threads on this page, or might you agree that your question is a little bit complex right now?

We got appearances by Hari and Cheeky Joe and Steve F. and a bunch of others who were smarter than I am moved on from this place.

And Ruben E. I miss Ruben, where is he?

Let's not forget an appearance by the famous Glen Gold Pyramid™

I had almost forgotten about this...has it really been 5-6 years?

Got a call and was told I was mentioned here. Couldn't imagine why. Just reread the thread along with my long analogy. Wow, I have no memory of writing this. Glad some people enjoyed it. As for me I'm still alive but far removed from the hobby. My old email still works if anyone wants to get in touch but I don't check the boards and only recently read and replied to something on Comcart-L because I was snowbound on the weekend and procrastinating.

I'll just lob this grenade and leave... for those that are outraged and upset about Burkey and Heritage, be glad you don't know all the dark secrets about this hobby. If this gets you that upset, your heads would explode if you knew the REALLY messed up stuff that has gone on.

See ya!

I'll just lob this grenade and leave... for those that are outraged and upset about Burkey and Heritage, be glad you don't know all the dark secrets about this hobby. If this gets you that upset, your heads would explode if you knew the REALLY messed up stuff that has gone on.

See ya!

A call to podcast if I ever heard one. Felix, you know what to do.

We got appearances by Hari and Cheeky Joe and Steve F. and a bunch of others who were smarter than I am moved on from this place.

Got a call and was told I was mentioned here. Couldn't imagine why. Just reread the thread along with my long analogy. Wow, I have no memory of writing this. Glad some people enjoyed it. As for me I'm still alive but far removed from the hobby. My old email still works if anyone wants to get in touch but I don't check the boards and only recently read and replied to something on Comcart-L because I was snowbound on the weekend and procrastinating.

See ya!

Now, now, now…don't lob 'em and leave 'em…lol

See ya!

RUBEN!!!

How I miss seeing your posts here and elsewhere.