• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #22 Club
14 14

7,060 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

When the back cover image is enlarged. is that pen writing/erasures on the boy's wrist or am I seeing things?  Could be why it had previously been graded an 8.5?   I also noted: lower spine corner off     both spine corners cr?/color loss ....not easy deciding what you think a scan of a comic through layers of plastic is showing

Does anyone here know why Showcase #24 9.0 sold for so much in the Nov. 21 Heritage auction?  It went for a staggering $16,800 when GPA reports a 9.0 sale in September 2018 for $5800   Quite a jump in one year and there are 7 copies in 9.0   

My notes from the auction: -CGC census 8/19: 7 in 9.0, none higher. b/c has pcs out top spine; impacted corner?    tiny tear/pc out lower left b/c  (from print roller pull?); lots 1/8"spine stress f/c  including two 1/4";  lt 1/2" rt cor  

The only two things I can think of are an upcoming movie connection or 2 collectors in hot hot pursuit, and in that case, a one off sale

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/superhero/showcase-24-green-lantern-dc-1960-cgc-vf-nm-90-off-white-pages/a/7212-92330.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyTrackedLots-101116

On 9/27/2019 at 12:36 PM, DanCooper said:
On 9/22/2019 at 9:00 PM, Gotham Kid said:

Could this 9.0 be the same copy that Doc Joe posted as an 8.5 all the way back on page 3 of this same thread? (a little hard to tell because the 8.5 picture is small, but some similarities on outer right edge and the spine)

On 9/28/2019 at 4:13 PM, GAMBIT said:

It absolutely is .. good catch 

Does anybody here know when, where, and at what price this copy of SC 22 sold for when it was only a CGC 8.5 graded copy?  ???

I think I posted this wayyy back in the thread but here mine. Picked it up raw early in the first movie hype. 

SC22graded.jpg

5 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Pretty book!  Think these will start bumping more this year?

I hope so! I think I picked this up in 2009 and this grade was selling for around $1300. Funny, I was at my LCS today and the owner has someone looking for one of these and we looked at recent sales. A couple of outliers at $2100 and $3200 but at least 5-6 at 2500-2600.  It seems that there is a HBO Max series coming so I would think if that does well it may bump a little. Need a good movie to have a significant uptick though I think . 

14 minutes ago, universal soldier said:

I hope so! I think I picked this up in 2009 and this grade was selling for around $1300. Funny, I was at my LCS today and the owner has someone looking for one of these and we looked at recent sales. A couple of outliers at $2100 and $3200 but at least 5-6 at 2500-2600.  It seems that there is a HBO Max series coming so I would think if that does well it may bump a little. Need a good movie to have a significant uptick though I think . 

It's insane comparing to Showcase 4... why is this book priced so low? 

22 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

It's insane comparing to Showcase 4... why is this book priced so low? 

It always will be in comparison. Showcase 4 is the first silver age superhero. I can just imaging the prices if Flash ever gets that movie and it's actually good. (2022?)

1 hour ago, universal soldier said:

It always will be in comparison. Showcase 4 is the first silver age superhero. I can just imaging the prices if Flash ever gets that movie and it's actually good. (2022?)

What if we get an actual good green lantern movie? And if he actually joined the justice league movies

1 hour ago, Wolverinex said:

Why not?

Do we really need another white guy with powers movie? They have options with John Stewart, Simon Baz or Jessica Cruz. Just my opinion of course. I would love if Hal comes back, but I think he had his shot and they blew it... 

20 hours ago, dikran1 said:

Do we really need another white guy with powers movie? They have options with John Stewart, Simon Baz or Jessica Cruz. Just my opinion of course. I would love if Hal comes back, but I think he had his shot and they blew it... 

Sure, Hal is awesome.  Hopefully he makes a comeback.  or just make Hal an ethnic guy ...

On 1/22/2020 at 1:25 PM, Callaway29 said:

Picked this up awhile back, don’t think I ever posted it. It’s slabbed up again, but with a black label (same grade and PQ). Not many pedigreed SC22’s on record, three if memory serves? If someone is smarter on that subject, I’m curious and all ears...

0BB42F28-B787-4756-A337-E48AE3DDA0C8.thumb.jpeg.3e38ea7173f176821f1e2b62771c0121.jpeg

Just realized how cool the city looks below... is he flying over Manhattan?