• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #22 Club
14 14

7,060 posts in this topic

On 5/1/2020 at 9:33 AM, Foolkiller said:

Well -- the challenge of DCs is finding them in grade and/or with page quality....  As tth has pointed out several times, you can literally pick up the phone and throw money at just about every marvel to obtain it.  You can't do that with DCs.   

Absolutely true! And it was even tougher to be a DC comic collector prior to CGC arriving on the scene circa the turn of the millennium. I used to look at the prices listed for DC comics in the Overstreet Guide and think "Yeah, I'd buy those comics at that grade in an instant but who's got them for sale?"

On 5/1/2020 at 9:49 AM, Aman619 said:

Agree.  I sometimes feel like I was born into the wrong clan, and in the wrong time.  I was already well smitten with comics before Marvels came along ( many of the late ten cent Swan covers give me emotional chills of recognition, and my childhood).  I never cared for Marvels until Spidey was in the twenties.  And even then, preferred the cleaner DC style.  

but obviously many more collectors game along during the Marvel Age, and are just the opposite. Although DCs are earlier and scarcer, it’s Marvel SA books that are the most sought after. The relative scarcity might have something to do with it, but must be that Marvel took over fan interest by the mid sixties as DC drooped in excitement... and a dominant breed of Marvel fans has ruled the hobby ever since except for those of us old enough to have lived in a world (universe?) ruled by Batman, Superman etc.

Truth! Comic collectors born after about 1952 who are first and foremost DC fans are a rare breed.

(shrug)

DC Keys are sadly flatlining with many on life support. :blush:   In really high grades DCs are a different book of course but truth be told most dealers have a way significantly higher rate of sale turnovers in Marvel Keys then in DC Keys.  I am in my 50s.  As a child I loved Marvel heroes over DCs because I could relate more to them but when I got back into collecting decades later I found I had a fonder if not more nostalgic appreciation for DC keys.  Wax and wane however you choose the fact remains that the prices keep moving up on Marvel keys.  If we use that as a factor or index to determine the love for a book - then the DCs are losing love monthly like a deflated tire.  If, however, you look at your collection not in dollars but in emotions - then who cares what anyone might have to say negatively about DC keys. Pendulums do swing. Perhaps in another 5 plus years DC will get their act together and produce movies that resonate with the public on a deeper and more meaningful level like Marvels do.  I already left a scalding review of WW84, which really was especially disappointing after the 1st one.  WW84 had a chance to really give DC fans true hope that iconic characters such as Wonder Woman could shine just like Captain America did on the big screen.  Instead we were treated to such a pointless, boring, awful, shallow, plot-less, cliché-driven, vapid and hollow movie that it just further buries DC IMO. :flamed: In the end I don't collect comics because of the movies - I never did and never ever will.  I collect because of my love and appreciation of the characters in the comics.  At the same time if someone offers you say a semi-high grade Daredevil 1 for your low grade Showcase 22 - you know you are doing that trade in a minute even though intuitively it might feel wrong. Happy collecting everyone.  :preach:

Edited by Roger66

It’s funny that for me (45 years old) the connection to DC was actually via the Super Friends cartoons and toys.  I never read DC as a kid (Marvel all the way!) Now that I have money, I want the comic of the guy (or Hal actually 😉) with the big green baseball/boxing glove and Apache Chief and the Wonder Twins 😂. Heck DC was making good movies decades before the MCU was a thing. I was always more connected to DC thru other non-comics media. I’m sure I can’t be the only one... Today is the exact opposite! 

On 1/3/2021 at 2:25 PM, Bluemedgroup said:

I feel it guys.  2021 is the year for Showcase 22.  Pull the trigger if you haven’t already as it’s finally going to get the respect it deserves. (Undoubtedly  helped out by the HBO series.)

I just picked up an "entry level" copy today. The more I thought about it the more ridiculous I thought how cheap the book was in lower grades. I picked up what I think is a raw 2.0 or better for under a grand, and couldn't think of another silver age 1st appearance key of a headlining super hero that could be had that cheap!

I mean even a DD1 will cost almost twice that in the same grade, and its from 5 years later and has FOUR TIMES the census (4400 vs 950 Blues and Yellows).

Why is this book not on everyone's radar like GSX1 and FF48? 

16 hours ago, miraclemet said:

I just picked up an "entry level" copy today. The more I thought about it the more ridiculous I thought how cheap the book was in lower grades. I picked up what I think is a raw 2.0 or better for under a grand, and couldn't think of another silver age 1st appearance key of a headlining super hero that could be had that cheap!

I mean even a DD1 will cost almost twice that in the same grade, and its from 5 years later and has FOUR TIMES the census (4400 vs 950 Blues and Yellows).

Why is this book not on everyone's radar like GSX1 and FF48? 

Agreed just way undervalued.  Good job on picking up a copy now... incredible value

I'm a long time exclusively DC guy and even I know that the only way to get  Showcase 22 heat up or any other DC key to heat up is to stick a Marvel logo on it, unless its Batman. at the end of the day it's everything Marvel and Batman.

On 2/8/2021 at 1:16 AM, Bluemedgroup said:

Strong result tonight on HA for a 5.0. 

AC6EEDFA-B4BB-4C71-B347-F34A4D30714B.png

Showcase 22 is a rare book in "OW-W".  I have a feeling the buyer of this copy knows EXACTLY what he is buying.  FYI - Try finding a WHITE PAGER for this book ;)