• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Slabs just in from CGC! 2 days only, 9.4,9.6,9.8 Bronze!

29 posts in this topic

Are these all from the same original owner? It amazes me how people can store comics in such perfect condition for so many years. The comics I bought off the newstands in the late 70's/early 80's are probably avg 8.0 - 9.2, mostly 8.0's, despite my attempts to keep them in great condition. I am sure I have no 9.8's, and maybe only a couple of 9.6's out of a couple of hundred comics. Is my experience typical? Or are there collectors who were older during that time period and kept their comics in better condition?

This would make an interesting separate thread. (thumbs u

Are these all from the same original owner? It amazes me how people can store comics in such perfect condition for so many years. The comics I bought off the newstands in the late 70's/early 80's are probably avg 8.0 - 9.2, mostly 8.0's, despite my attempts to keep them in great condition. I am sure I have no 9.8's, and maybe only a couple of 9.6's out of a couple of hundred comics. Is my experience typical? Or are there collectors who were older during that time period and kept their comics in better condition?

Bob Siman's original owner Hulk 181 was a 9.4 and a 9.6 with a press.

Sometimes the secret is having multiple copies . . . My OO Hulk #181 was a 9.6, and my "B" copy was an 8.5 (Q) :)

These books and many others which I have been getting back are from an original owner collection. The guy basically bought everything new off the stands, read them once and bagged them and put them in a box. I probably have gotten close to 100 9.8s so far out of the collection.

These books and many others which I have been getting back are from an original owner collection. The guy basically bought everything new off the stands, read them once and bagged them and put them in a box. I probably have gotten close to 100 9.8s so far out of the collection.

That's amazing. I almost did that with my Byrne x-men, but I guess did not store them optimally. I also liked to thumb through them occasionally back in the 80's. And at that time I did not realize how important grade would become down the road. I left collecting for about 25 years then started again a few years ago and submitted a few of the better ones to see how I would do. I got one 9.6 (which I thought overgraded because of a bad corner,) one 9.4, a couple of 9.2's, a few 9.0's and even a 6.0. To get 100 9.8's is a pretty impressive feat!

A lot of it depends on how they stored them and how many copies of the books there were in the collection. For example, I picked up the scraps (2 short boxes) of a local OO hoard from 1968 - 1971 that had a ton of 9.6 and 9.8s, but unfortunately outside of the Silver Surfer run (I missed out on the other 6 complete runs :tonofbricks: ) and early Conan issues there was not much worthwhile (he liked the B and C titles - Captain Savage, anyone?). The outer books shielded the bulk of the books in this case, so there were multiple HG copies of a lot of them.

In a more recent OO collection, the books the owner picked up from 1969 - 1972 were pristine with most grading 9.4 - 9.8. This collection had most SA and BA Marvel and DC titles complete from the early 60s (missed out on his ASM #1-50 and X-Men #1-128 though as he had sold those earlier to raise cash, as well as all of his OA). In this case, he was away from home for college during that time period and his buddy that worked for DC at the time would send him copies of everything each month. Since he was not there, his parents would just stack the packages carefully in his room. The funny thing was seeing later 70s books that were in lesser condition than the earlier ones - these he bought off the stand or from his LCS and read.