• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Marvel Picture Frame books
21 21

4,764 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, joeypost said:

My only Mass. picture frame. 

Gorgeous book, and a Mass picture frame superhero comic to boot.  That would suggest that there may be other Hulks that retained the provenance.  There are some Mass Daredevils, too, as a couple of issues have sales recorded in GPA.

Great stuff, Bob, thanks for adding information to the mystery of the Massachusetts picture frame Marvels, and adding your scans to the thread.

How did you learn of and acquire all those longboxes of bronze and copper?  Did you get them in the mid-90s, when Marnin got ahold of the Silver?  Do you remember if the collection had any of the romance, western, or humor Marvel bronze?  And what was the OO like?

Edited by namisgr

On 7/22/2018 at 4:36 PM, Ghost Town said:

This is the only Mass Picture Frame book that I own. I think it was the one that got away from your run of MOTOPs. I suspect we'll have to move on to Suscha News and Twin Cities PFs pretty soon.

29723711911_ca5e311014_b.jpg

I can tell from the cert number that is one of my submissions. I was keeping most of the Mass books with Black or White covers. I think I moved this book in a large trade. The Mass books are really nice in hand.  The ones I submitted were very tightly graded under the watchful eye of Mark Haspel.  In those days, every Pedigree that was submitted went through Haspel. The TAT on my first Mass submission was very long because Haspel was waiting to talk to Marnin Rosenberg to validate my story of heritage.

27 minutes ago, namisgr said:

Great stuff, Bob, thanks for adding information to the mystery of the Massachusetts picture frame Marvels, and adding your scans to the thread.

How did you learn of and acquire all those longboxes of bronze and copper?  Did you get them in the mid-90s, when Marnin got ahold of the Silver?  Do you remember if the collection had any of the romance, western, or humor Marvel bronze?  And what was the OO like?

I acquired these books the same way Marnin Rosenberg acquired the Mass SA books, through an ad in the CBG. It was sometime in the mid-90's, soon after Marnin got his books. Luckily for me, Marnin did not want the Bronze Age stuff. He told the OO to stop after 1970 . I talked to Marnin years later and my titles picked up right where Marnin's stopped. I never met the OO. The stuff was sent in baggie 'bricks' of maybe 10 books. It's been so long I can't remember exactly. I passed on many titles. I don't remember any Romance. He did have Western and I picked up a long run of Rawhide Kid. I had a long run of Mad and Cracked magazines. There was DC, Marvel, and Charlton. In hindsight, I should have bought everything offered but I was only trying to complete runs. I already had a full run of ASM so I passed on those. :frustrated: I needed an upgrade on #129 so I did get that. Good times !

14 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I can tell from the cert number that is one of my submissions. I was keeping most of the Mass books with Black or White covers. I think I moved this book in a large trade. The Mass books are really nice in hand.  The ones I submitted were very tightly graded under the watchful eye of Mark Haspel.  In those days, every Pedigree that was submitted went through Haspel. The TAT on my first Mass submission was very long because Haspel was waiting to talk to Marnin Rosenberg to validate my story of heritage.

I got on eBay from Peter Przysiezny (comic4less) in 2012. 

3 minutes ago, Ghost Town said:

I got on eBay from Peter Przysiezny (comic4less) in 2012. 

Yep, that's who I did the trade with. He's local to me. Great guy, great dealer. It was a huge trade, all slabs that literally took up 3 full auctions for him to sell. You probably got more of my stuff in your collection from those auctions !

The Rocky Mountain pedigree isn't discussed much here on the Boards, seeing as it covers the mid-Silver to Bronze Age period where high grade examples are generally common.  Still, it's a pedigree with an extraordinary set of ultra high grade picture frame Marvels, nearly all with white pages and many with really nice cover wraps.  Here's a description of the pedigree from CGC:  

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/1148/

I sold a picture frame book from this pedigree, and think it shows off the Rocky Mountain bronze well.  Not the highest grade from the pedigree, but this example of a relatively tough issue to find in exceptional shape has a lot going for it.  The cover wrap is perfect, with front to back cover separation lying right along the spine, and the staples placed right there as well.  The cover colors are deep and the paper stock near white.  A lone small spine stress line keeps the book from an even higher grade.

Avengers103cgc.thumb.jpg.b9d325a5060794fbf1b4636f4aed97a2.jpg

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 9:54 PM, namisgr said:

Gorgeous book, and a Mass picture frame superhero comic to boot.  That would suggest that there may be other Hulks that retained the provenance.  There are some Mass Daredevils, too, as a couple of issues have sales recorded in GPA.

I would love to find some more of the Hulk books. Had a few Mass. Pedigree Werewolf By Night books hat I sold a few years ago that were very nice. 

7 hours ago, Ghost Town said:

I'm pretty light on Rocky Mountain Picture Frames. 

43637005482_44e9795dbc_b.jpg[

They're sweet examples, Barton.  White pages, great cover wraps, and bright inks.  Your Sgt Fury #105 has an Oct 5, 1972 arrival date stamp, and so was bought off the same newsstand one week after my Thor #206 stamped 'Sep 28'.  Both were stamped on Thursday, which in Colorado was different from the weekly Wednesday arrival of new comics in the Northeast.

Edited by namisgr

Here's what I have from the Don Rosa Pedigree with the description cribbed from comicbookpedigrees.com: 

Accumulated by world-renowned and Eisner award winning comic book artist, writer, and historian, Keno Don Rosa, this collection contained every comic book and magazine issued from every publisher from 1966 to the late 1980's. Rosa began collecting in earnest in 1962, as he purchased each comic from the newsstands, read them only once, and carefully tucked them away in optimum storage conditions, using archival boxes and a climate controlled "vault." Because they were stored in such an environment with no use of polybags, each book exhibits a brilliant sheen, deep ink reflectivity, sharp corners and a fresh newsstand appearance.

29511806260_d5d43a8a8b.jpg29179812843_bac93e386f.jpg29801742365_40437fce35.jpg

29723941221_6a69e8e0c2.jpg29509991890_06a95fb4cb.jpg29179983123_1f0803b183.jpg

And I've been told by Greggy that this book is a Don Rosa copy as well:

28800462927_4144ac324a_b.jpg

23 minutes ago, Ghost Town said:

Here's what I have from the Don Rosa Pedigree with the description cribbed from comicbookpedigrees.com: 

Accumulated by world-renowned and Eisner award winning comic book artist, writer, and historian, Keno Don Rosa, this collection contained every comic book and magazine issued from every publisher from 1966 to the late 1980's. Rosa began collecting in earnest in 1962, as he purchased each comic from the newsstands, read them only once, and carefully tucked them away in optimum storage conditions, using archival boxes and a climate controlled "vault." Because they were stored in such an environment with no use of polybags, each book exhibits a brilliant sheen, deep ink reflectivity, sharp corners and a fresh newsstand appearance.

29511806260_d5d43a8a8b.jpg29179812843_bac93e386f.jpg29801742365_40437fce35.jpg

29723941221_6a69e8e0c2.jpg29509991890_06a95fb4cb.jpg29179983123_1f0803b183.jpg

And I've been told by Greggy that this book is a Don Rosa copy as well:

I agree with @namisgr that Astonishing Tales is ASTONISHING, and the rest ain't too shabby either. NIce stuff Barton! (worship)

On 7/22/2018 at 2:36 PM, Ghost Town said:

This is the only Mass Picture Frame book that I own. I think it was the one that got away from your run of MOTOPs. I suspect we'll have to move on to Suscha News and Twin Cities PFs pretty soon.

29723711911_ca5e311014_b.jpg

This book looks like it should be higher than a 9.4. Gorgeous:luhv:

Here are the books from the Don Rosa pedigree in my collection.  The page quality doesn't quite match some of the other great bronze pedigrees, but there are a few sharp examples (and Barton has several more) of books that are scarce in high grade.

Cap150cgc.thumb.jpg.aff7d41ace500ac66ddd218de8e583fc.jpg CapMarvel23cgc.thumb.jpg.105117aad06fa9103aa0156138f5e213.jpg MMW19cgc.thumb.jpg.ed8efb1a48986378603a1a1970d51037.jpg  Rawhide97cgc.thumb.jpg.f50c73fd1bba2b2ea9042b55d31eded1.jpg Rawhide104cgc.thumb.jpg.bd6c688ecc3ae9ea8d37b875975095e0.jpg Rawhide106cgc.thumb.jpg.b7d9ac95ad40f6e0e5c1f93a68e04c44.jpg Subby49cgc.thumb.jpg.a5f6fc4ee6704b38ff94d32bfd642fbb.jpg Thor197cgc.thumb.jpg.e11fe64b38862d8f382e4ffdb06d7782.jpg

Edited by namisgr