• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Marvel Picture Frame books
21 21

4,776 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, namisgr said:

More strong prices were realized for picture frame Marvels in ultra high grade condition in this week's ComicLink auction.  For instance, an Ironman #43 in 9.8 (1 of 6) sold for $1700, while the Oakland copy of Ironman #49 in 9.8 (1 of 7) went for $1026.

Noticed that too. I'm curious how much of this is due to the books being picture frames books. And how much is due to them being Iron Man books. I suspect it's the picture frame thing, but I'm not an unbiased observer.

I also tracked auctions of picture frame Avengers (100 and 103), Conan (21) and Night Nurse.  They all got decent to strong prices.

I'm thinking of giving Josh a call...

Edited by namisgr

14 hours ago, speedcake said:

Recently added all the Thor picture frames to my collection (along with an almost complete silver and early bronze age run of his solo title but now I'm bragging  :ph34r:  ). They aren't perfect, but I'll take them as a starter set! These are the nicest ones. 

Thor200smallfile.jpg

Congrats on the pickup, Thor is a great title.

There are quite a few really good stories among the Thor picture frames, including with Ego Prime, Mephisto, Pluto, Mangog and of course the Surfer, but my favorite is this story of the onset and aftermath of Ragnarok.  It was the first Thor comic I bought off the rack (the same month as Avengers #100 and Hero For Hire #1), and the story and art definitely contributed to giving me the lifelong bug for comic reading and collecting.

Edited by namisgr

On 9/15/2019 at 6:33 AM, namisgr said:

Congrats on the pickup, Thor is a great title.

There are quite a few really good stories among the Thor picture frames, including with Ego Prime, Mephisto, Pluto, Mangog and of course the Surfer, but my favorite is this story of the onset and aftermath of Ragnarok.  It was the first Thor comic I bought off the rack (the same month as Avengers #100 and Hero For Hire #1), and the story and art definitely contributed to giving me the lifelong bug for comic reading and collecting.

thanks!  I'm going to start reading from 126 as soon as I get that issue. Hopefully at NYCC next month. So it'll be a while until I get to the picture frame issues, ha

I just need seven issues to complete the run from 126 to 254.   126, 127, 129, 131, 133, 139, and 140.  So lot's of good reading ahead

Edited by speedcake

2 minutes ago, speedcake said:

thanks!  I'm going to start reading from 126 as soon as I get that issue. Hopefully at NYCC next month. So it'll be a while until I get to the picture frame issues, ha

(thumbsu

Feel free to read #200 any time you want.  It's a one-off story that isn't in the Thor continuity.

On 9/18/2019 at 11:45 AM, namisgr said:

Upgrade for one of my favorite Barry Smith covers.  While I think that the white stripe from a back-to-front cover miswrap can sometimes make the picture frame effect look bad, I kind of like it on the dark covers when it runs straight from top to bottom and is the same white color as the frame and title themselves.

RAD733FB201985_141559.jpg

Sure is pretty Bob. Nik has good taste, as he loved Marvel black picture frames. 

4 hours ago, MediumLover said:

Today I was thinking

"It's been too quiet around here,  something must be happening"

So I do some investigating, and what did I find...

hm this could get ulgy

What did you find, and what does ulgy mean? :ohnoez:

Edited by djpinkpanther67

5 hours ago, MediumLover said:

Today I was thinking

hm this could get ulgy

I found something as well. Hopefully it is not the same something. 

On 9/23/2019 at 4:00 AM, MediumLover said:

Today I was thinking

hm this could get ulgy

On 9/23/2019 at 9:16 AM, joeypost said:

I found something as well. Hopefully it is not the same something. 

Well, that's some teaser to drop without follow-up for those of us outside the know.

When it comes to picture frame Marvels, the only thing I can think of capable of rocking the market would be a warehouse find filled with ultra high grade examples.  That would be mighty remarkable after all this time (47 years!).  Maybe I could finally locate an ultra high grade copy of Defenders #2.  (shrug)

Edited by namisgr