• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Marvel Picture Frame books
21 21

4,764 posts in this topic

Great stuff, Bob. I'm happy the inadvertently terrible timing of the auction didn't hurt your overall sale prices.

Of course, I happily contributed to your overall sales prices and I'm looking forward to that FedEx package coming from Maine in a few weeks.

2 hours ago, namisgr said:

Sales To Astonish

Picture Frame Marvels Market Report

Great report, Bob! Felt like I was reading an Overstreet market report. :golfclap:

I have always considered that this thread, down through the years, has generated a fair amount of interest in the PF books. So much so, more collectors are attuned to the uniqueness of the cover design, the 3D effect, and the time period in which they were produced. Hell, dealers and collectors for the most part never call them "picture frames", but they're called that now. And I believe this thread and its posters paid a large part in cementing that distinctive name.

13 minutes ago, MasterChief said:

I have always considered that this thread, down through the years, has generated a fair amount of interest in the PF books. So much so, more collectors are attuned to the uniqueness of the cover design, the 3D effect, and the time period in which they were produced. Hell, dealers and collectors for the most part never call them "picture frames", but they're called that now. And I believe this thread and its posters paid a large part in cementing that distinctive name.

True. True. True. And also, getting the PF set in registry probably played some part. Who was the insufficiently_thoughtful_person who kept bugging Gemma to create the PF set? I hate that guy.

12 minutes ago, Ghost Town said:

True. True. True. And also, getting the PF set in registry probably played some part. Who was the insufficiently_thoughtful_person who kept bugging Gemma to create the PF set? I hate that guy

Yeah, the registry mastermind and the guy who got the thread pinned to the top of the forum should be shot. They've destroyed my savings account!  :censored:  lol 

Great information, Barton. Lots to digest. Interesting how the lack of high-grade esoteric books continues to reveal how demand, national distribution, local distributor wholesalers, and outlets willing to carry comics during the period may have impacted the sales through for these titles.

Here's a great article by Jim Shooter that might reveal some insight into the matter...

Comic Book Distribution
http://jimshooter.com/2011/11/comic-book-distribution.html/

Also, an interesting account about the origins of the direct market by Chuck Rozanski, which Shooter recommends reading...

Evolution of the Direct Market
https://www.milehighcomics.com/tales/cbg95.html

4 hours ago, batmiesta said:

Great price on the Iron man #47 Bob, was there anything you were really disappointed with price wise? And will you be selling anymore?  

Thanks.  Yeah the Ironman blowing away the GPA record was a major help for the overall success of the auction.  It didn't hurt that it's the nicest copy of that issue that I've ever seen.  Yes, there were plenty of books that fell short of fetching a GPA average price, but for me it's the overall sale price that most matters.  And with that, the auction did very well.

I will sell the entire slabbed picture frame collection, hopefully before the end of this year.  In addition to the books in this auction, the complete runs of Avengers and Captain America have already been sold to a single long-time buyer.  I haven't had any follow-up discussions with auction house(s) about the next auction and the now complex matter of dropping off books, but the tentative plan is to bring another grouping of about 100 books to auction this summer.

For right now, I've got 9 picture frames in the April ComicLink Featured auction, ones that were intended for the just completed auction but were moved back because of other copies being sold in comparable numerical grades:

AMAZING ADVENTURES #14, CGC 9.6 NM+ $1  $0  4/10/2020      In preview  
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #109, CGC 9.6 NM+ $1  $0  4/10/2020      In preview  
CAPTAIN MARVEL #22, CGC 9.4 NM $1  $0  4/10/2020      In preview  
DAREDEVIL #87, CGC 9.6 NM+ $1  $0  4/10/2020      In preview  
IRON MAN #43, CGC 9.6 NM+ $1  $0  4/10/2020      In preview  
IRON MAN #44, CGC 9.4 NM $1  $0  4/10/2020      In preview  
MARVEL PREMIERE #4, CGC 9.6 NM+ Suscha News $1  $0  4/10/2020      In preview  
MARVEL SUPER-HEROES #32, CGC 9.4 NM Oakland
Edited by namisgr

14 hours ago, namisgr said:

MARVEL PREMIERE #4, CGC 9.6 NM+ Suscha News $1  $0  4/10/2020      In preview

Great looking MP#4!

Your 9.6 is the top copy from the Suscha collection. The other is a 9.4.

Interesting to note that the original owner only pulled two copies of MP#4 from the warehouse pallet. Whereas, 4 copies each of issue #1 through #3 were snagged and 1 copy of #5.

All copies have white pages with the exception of a single copy of MP#1. It has off-white to white pages.

Good luck in the auction. It's a beautiful specimen!  (thumbsu

MP-1-5_suscha_chart.png

On 4/3/2020 at 11:03 AM, Ghost Town said:

That's some good mail, Thomas. Three unicorns show up at your door during a pandemic. What are the odds?

Thanks Barton!

Yeah they are toughies.
They present well...however, all but the Av 97 are in the VFish spectrum.

The My Love 20 has a shot at beating 8.0🤞

Edited by djpinkpanther67