• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Marvel Picture Frame books
21 21

4,764 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, Werner_Von_Doom said:

Love this cover:

SME004-92.jpg

One of my favorite books....

I believe, if I’m not mistaken (paging @joeypost), that this is the PF book I have subbed more copies of than any other. I have owned 4 different 9.2 copies, two 9.0s, and an 8.5

Still haven’t found a 9.4+ copy :cloud9:

11 hours ago, djpinkpanther67 said:

One of my favorite books....

I believe, if I’m not mistaken (paging @joeypost), that this is the PF book I have subbed more copies of than any other. I have owned 4 different 9.2 copies, two 9.0s, and an 8.5

Still haven’t found a 9.4+ copy :cloud9:

I think I am responsible for most of the 9.2 copies on the market. 

On 4/3/2020 at 2:43 AM, djpinkpanther67 said:

This week’s mail

3C8BA15D-71CF-4072-AC0A-34D02C9796D7.jpeg

Beautiful copy!

Marvel lore has it that Roy Thomas tried for years to use the Timely heroes of his youth in the comics he wrote, but Stan Lee would have none of it. It was only after Lee was promoted to publisher and Thomas to editor-in-chief, in 1972, that Thomas was free to revive the Golden Age characters that inspired his career. Avengers #97 is the book, and in particular the cover, that cemented his dream.

This cover is an excellent example of the Kane Frame. It's a creative masterpiece of 3-D action rendered from a framed composition that brilliantly captures the illusion of dramatic, heroic movement. Powerful and captivating. It's the perfect newsstand eye candy!  :applause:

Edited by MasterChief

On 4/4/2020 at 3:23 PM, Werner_Von_Doom said:

Love this cover:

SME004-92.jpg

On 4/6/2020 at 6:00 AM, Werner_Von_Doom said:

Hmmm, my 9.2 was raw and sent in straight to be graded. I wonder if I should...?

Sounds like you have an elusive and unique book on your hands.

Not only has it survived the ravages of time in remarkable condition, but it is one of possibly two particular 9.2 copies that can bear the distinctive seal of...

logo_enhancement-free2.jpg

On 4/7/2020 at 11:14 AM, Baron Mordo said:

0E56918A-6D03-4C42-B66A-B20521061512.png

Gorgeous Suscha News copy!

From the data I've collected, it appears as though the original owner may have had an affinity for picture frames (or maybe he had a job during the period that provided extra income to buy multiple copies of every comic available!). Whatever the case, no less than three copies each of the 1972 run of Amazing Adventures were in the collection.

BTW... If you didn’t have it already, here's the image of the original label book when the collection premiered. (Oh, and welcome to the boards!)

AA-15_9-6.jpg

This Beach-Head Earth!

The Marvel King-Size picture frame mag with 34 pages of Neal Adams knock-out Avengers artwork, all for just two bits.

Of course, the story by Roy Thomas isn't too shabby, either. (Actually, it's one of my favorites.)

Here's more Marvel Lore...    

The intro and subsequent chapters within Avengers #93, or as they're lettered by Sam Rosen as "Parts", were based on classic science fiction novels Thomas read as a teenager.

The story intro, This Beachhead Earth, was taken from the 1952 novel This Island Earth by Raymond F. Jones, which later became a 1950s sci-fi movie of the same name.

Part Two, A Journey to the Center of the Android! comes from Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne, which also was adapted into a movie. And,

Part Three, War of the Weirds!, comes from War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells, which became another 50s sci-fi classic.

Below is the atomic age artwork used for the movie This Island Earth, which is commonly known in the entertainment industry, and to movie poster collectors, as a "one sheet." It's followed by the splash page for Avengers #93.

TIE-1-Sheet.jpg

A-97_splash_this-beached-earth.jpg

Edited by MasterChief
Image work