• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Marvel Picture Frame books
21 21

4,776 posts in this topic

On 4/14/2021 at 11:28 PM, Ghost Town said:

I couldn't get my time machine properly calibrated to 1972, so I had to go with a resub.

Congratulations! That's really glorious 🤟

With the tight grading happening these days that's like a hole in one! 

Interestingly there's 6 Marvel spotlight 3s in 9.8 compared to no #2s until now. I suppose a few more people took care of their #3s because there's much less total submissions for 3 than 2....like ALOT less!

Edited by MGsimba77

8 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Congratulations! That's really glorious 🤟

Press? I guess 9.6 before the resub? With the tight grading happening these days that's like a hole in one! 

Interestingly there's 6 Marvel spotlight 3s in 9.8 compared to no #2s until now. I suppose a few more people took care of their #3s because there's much less total submissions for 3 than 2....like ALOT less!

#2 is a whole different animal than #3. The squarebound books are rare in 9.8.

7 hours ago, WernerVonDoom said:

#2 is a whole different animal than #3. The squarebound books are rare in 9.8.

Yeah probably a combination of the squarebound and the collecting community not being so mindful of Werewolf by night 50 years ago. I don't know how many people were eager to preserve/speculate on that back in the day? Maybe the older guys can better speak on that. The seldomly submitted Avengers 93 with roughly half the total # has a couple of 9.8s. Marvel Feature #1 with kind of a darkish cover has high submissions but 13 9.8s. I'd put aside ASM102 maybe Giant marvel Superheroes 1 since it was always more collected. 

On 5/22/2021 at 5:14 PM, Off Panel said:

Here's a run I'm working on:

I completely hit the wall at 106.

You paid dearly for that 104...

I have a 106 with Joey. It looked pretty good. I had another come back 9.8 about 6 months ago 

3 hours ago, djpinkpanther67 said:

You paid dearly for that 104...

Truer words were never spoken.

I did the math on this one for awhile. Last sale in 9.8 on GPA was six and a half years ago. That sale took place on Heritage and looks to be the only one they’ve ever seen. There may have been a sale on CLink during that time, but who can tell?

There are 8 CGC 9.8s of this book and zero getting that grade from the competition. It has felt for awhile like these few copies have quietly made their way into private collections, rarely to see the light of day. When I saw Doug was bringing one of those collections to market, I decided I needed to make this book my priority. 

At least one other guy had the same idea, so the book will have a crazy outlier price in GPA. No regrets though. (Although come to think of it, I could have bought half an X-Men 129 “newsstand” instead... xD )

4 hours ago, djpinkpanther67 said:

I have a 106 with Joey. It looked pretty good. I had another come back 9.8 about 6 months ago 

That’s awesome, man. Congrats!

106 is a tough book to find in 9.8 and I like any story that adds another one to the world. It’s especially aggravating since you can’t turn around without hitting a 9.8 105 or 107.

If you ever have one you want to sell, let me know. Recent auction aside, I’m not a high roller, just an OCD completist. Still I’ve got a little gas left in the tank for a 106.

2 hours ago, Off Panel said:

106 is a tough book to find in 9.8 and I like any story that adds another one to the world. It’s especially aggravating since you can’t turn around without hitting a 9.8 105 or 107.

If you ever have one you want to sell, let me know. Recent auction aside, I’m not a high roller, just an OCD completist. Still I’ve got a little gas left in the tank for a 106.

106 is not for sale anywhere in high grades most of the time. I do regular searches just for fun when I have idle time scouring every site I know sells certified slabs. I've probably been doing it for this particular issue since 2016. I think I've found 9.2 and above maybe six or seven times total. Fortunately I was able to get ahold of a 9.4 last year but still search around just out of curiosity. There's nothing noteworthy in it other than the monumentally epic Romita artwork along with 107. I guess it's one of those random dark cover issues people didn't bother to preserve back in the day. Interestingly 107 is far from a white cover as well but there's so many more available above 9.2 than 106? Its just one of those issues that puzzles (shrug)