• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Marvel Picture Frame books
22 22

4,786 posts in this topic

As far as Fear #5 goes... Yep, I think consideration should be given to this book, too. It was issued in the first month of picture-frame production and the artwork layout is not indicative of Marvel's full-bleed cover design of the preceding period.

Nah, the whole cover and text style is way off, and there isn't even the Marvel Comic headliner that helps signify the change. Plus, this is just a basic rip of an old GA comic that the reprint was taken from, and hardly anything "original"

5281-2008-5758-1-tales-to-astonish_super.jpg

fear_5.jpg

Stick with pushing for Cat 1, as that issue deserves consideration.

Hmmm... very interesting. Thx for the point of clarification, JC.

So let me get your POV on a couple of covers that break the mold during the timeframe.

ASM#113 doesn't cut it, ASM#114 does, and then ASM#115 is loosely representative. 113 &115 are not included in the registry list.

CA#155, which is framed by a circle and also loosely represents the design, is included in the registry.

Seems to me if one includes CA#155 then ASM#115 would warrant inclusion too.

Thoughts?

picture-frame_study-2.jpg

Yes, I have stated many times that ASM 115 is just a stylized version of the standard picture frame. It's exactly the same format, but a circle (which follows the cover/story) rather than a square.

The difference with Cap 155 is that while the cover image may have a circle in it, the actual cover follows the square PF much more closely - check the bottom lettering - it cuts off the circle in a straight line. Not so with ASM 115.

Although I believe that ASM 115 deserves inclusion (but for a different reason), I think a far better argument would be, if Cap 155 qualifies, then so too should Cat #1.

Here's a book that, like the Vampire Tales #1, owes a lot of its design to the PF books. It came out a few months after Marvel ended the Picture Frame covers. But I think it's at least a distant relative to the genre.

WarIsHell3-1.jpg

Very nice, you have some great books Ghost_Town. (worship)

It came out a few months after Marvel ended the Picture Frame covers. But I think it's at least a distant relative to the genre.

That's similar to the various "updated reprints" of the Romance books that came out around the same time. The covers were slightly different with new colors, but kept the PF format.

Did you happen to snag any of the other hard-to-find 25¢ picture frame books like My Love #14 or Special Marvel Edition #4? I've never even seen a high grade copy of those books.

If MSE 4 is the one with Odin holding Thor, then I have a few HG copies, but forget about ML 14 - that book almost doesn't exist in HG.

Yep, that's the one. Only one copy has ever been graded by CGC, a 9.2.

Strangely, there are 5 My Love #14s in the census. One 9.4, two 9.2s and two 8.5s. That surprised me.

SpecialMarvelEdition_04.jpg

I think I have a NM-/NM copy of this sitting in the house. Need to dig it up. I purchased it 2 years ago from Midway Comics at the WW Chicago show.

I was off by half a grade. Second graded (and second highest graded) copy at 9.0.

Nice TODs. Tom Palmer always did a great job of filling out Gil Kane's pencils. Although it looks like the bullpen might have changed Drac's face on the #3.

Yeah! Doesn't look like a typical Kane face. hm