• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Marvel Picture Frame books
21 21

4,764 posts in this topic

30 minutes ago, Ghost Town said:

I can't think of many other collections that are such a great source of Picture Frames, especially with the romance, humor, and reprint titles.

Maybe the Suscha News collection comes close. But I've never seen any Suscha romance or humor books.

I own a Suscha News copy of Spoof #2, but like you have never seen any of the other humor books in the pedigree.

The Twin Cities pedigree has gorgeous picture frame Marvels, but from what Heritage auctioned off it covers only the superhero, horror and war titles.  Same for the Rocky Mountain books.

The Oakland collector bought just about everything, and took great care of it all.  This copy of Groovy #3 is the only one to have been graded above 9.2:

Groovy3.thumb.jpg.cce1f296b6ce01c1e20355a895e13c32.jpg

Edited by namisgr

3 hours ago, namisgr said:

I own a Suscha News copy of Spoof #2, but like you have never seen any of the other humor books in the pedigree.

The Twin Cities pedigree has gorgeous picture frame Marvels, but from what Heritage auctioned off it covers only the superhero, horror and war titles.  Same for the Rocky Mountain books.

The Oakland collector bought just about everything, and took great care of it all.  This copy of Groovy #3 is the only one to have been graded above 9.2:

Groovy3.thumb.jpg.cce1f296b6ce01c1e20355a895e13c32.jpg

I don't think I've ever seen a copy of this book in the wild.

5 hours ago, Ghost Town said:

Lots of beauties there, Bob. It's amazing that the Oakland MTU #1, 2, and 3 are all 9.8s.

I can't think of many other collections that are such a great source of Picture Frames, especially with the romance, humor, and reprint titles.

Maybe the Suscha News collection comes close. But I've never seen any Suscha romance or humor books.

The Savannah collection seemingly had everything but also had page quality problems.

The Don Rosa collection had Westerns and reprints but I don't think Don bought the romance or kids books. (Though I hope I'm wrong about this.)

There are definitely mostly no romance books in the Don Rosa collection.  Steve Wyatt said that Don just didn't really buy them or kids related titles such as Richie Rich and Archies.  

I bought the all the available Skywald titles at SDCC the year it was unveiled and it was missing the four romance books.

There are a smattering of humour and romance related issues that were part of certain tryout titles such as Super DC Giant that had the two romance issues and the one issue of the Three Mousketeers. 

On 7/12/2018 at 8:39 AM, Ghost Town said:

I picked up some more Oakland books without subjecting myself to 3 plus hours on the subway.  I picked up the Amazing Adventures #9 and #10 at the Chicago Con about a week or so later. I traded my the Golden State MTU #1 for the Oakland MTU #1. The MTAs and the Marvel Tales were already slabbed when I bought them years later.

29178591763_ee5ea6b2f7.jpg29691520452_65f9c27de5.jpg41555381320_9233a54fbc.jpg

29723610301_7d74de1d6e.jpg29767407216_cd4b387b35.jpg29767442846_cfa5727733.jpg

Sone crazy nice books. 

4 minutes ago, electricprune said:
2 hours ago, Black_Adam said:

Barton! Congrats on the 2018 John Verzyl Sr. Registry Masterpiece Award!

Looking forward to reading the interview! :whatev:

Ditto! (thumbsu

Thanks, guys!

I had no idea. The only reason I found out is that I get an email when anything is posted in this thread. So Sean broke the news for me.

I haven't done the interview. I'll have to think of something interesting to say.

21 hours ago, Ghost Town said:

Thanks, guys!

I had no idea. The only reason I found out is that I get an email when anything is posted in this thread. So Sean broke the news for me.

I haven't done the interview. I'll have to think of something interesting to say.

With the crowd we have here I have a hunch you could open an excel file and just start reading out title, issue and grade and we'd be hanging on the edge of our seats!

With all those comics, hope you find room for the award! ?

As a DC guy, I just wanted to say that I really enjoy this thread. I only have one Marvel Picture Frame in my collection, Night Nurse #1. I really need to change that, this is a great theme and I really enjoy the visual appeal of this era of Marvel. I also enjoyed reading the recent entry from Ghost Town, great Oakland examples and congratulations sir!

On 7/22/2018 at 10:36 PM, Ghost Town said:

This is the only Mass Picture Frame book that I own. I think it was the one that got away from your run of MOTOPs. I suspect we'll have to move on to Suscha News and Twin Cities PFs pretty soon.

29723711911_ca5e311014_b.jpg

Such a tough book in HG, this book is etched in my memory after buying a copy from a market in Blackpool while on holiday in the seventies, I fell in love with the Kane cover and a nice copy has eluded me ever since.

Thanks for posting Barton.