• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Marvel Picture Frame books
21 21

4,775 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, namisgr said:

Very well indeed, thanks!  The Spotlight #5 crushed the GPA record for the grade, and beat the prior two sales in that grade on ComicLink, which doesn't report to GPA.  It's a book that's gotten hot once again.

Congrats on all of them, but especially the MS#5.  I have one, same grade but not as nice as yours I'm sure!  So I have been pretty excited with all the recent activity on this book.   Thanks for sharing.  

Edited by Pantodude

58 minutes ago, namisgr said:

Very well indeed, thanks!  The Spotlight #5 crushed the GPA record for the grade, and beat the prior two sales in that grade on ComicLink, which doesn't report to GPA.  It's a book that's gotten hot once again.

Does anyone know why GPA only reports ebay sales?

2 hours ago, batmiesta said:

Does anyone know why GPA only reports ebay sales?

I believe they report some dealers' sales data too. I think Metropolis, Heritage, Greg Reece, and more. From what I understand, dealers have to give GPA permission. I know ComicLink and Bob Storms have chosen not to give that permission.

Edited by Ghost Town

On 11/5/2020 at 10:35 PM, Ghost Town said:

I believe they report some dealers' sales data too. I think Metropolis, Heritage, Greg Reece, and more. From what I understand, dealers have to give GPA permission. I know ComicLink and Bob Storms have chosen not to give that permission.

Yeah I think it'll be a huge positive for the hobby if Clink decided to contribute to GPA. Their refusal to do so is selfish! You can only see past sales on Clink going back several months before they cycle off. There's so many examples of them having record sales for any given book only to have these data points not show up where it matters most. 

On 9/27/2020 at 7:29 AM, namisgr said:

I'm happy to report that the market for high grade picture frame Marvels remains strong.  It's especially strong for top census copies, and record prices can be realized for those with few other copies in comparable grade.  It's also very strong for first appearances of characters slated to appear in the Marvel cinematic universe.  But 9.4 and 9.6 copies of issues for which there are 9.8 examples to be had often did not meet their expected fair market values, unless from pedigree collections.  And the reprint titles Marvel Tales, Marvel's Greatest Comics, and Special Marvel Edition underperformed expectations.

Of the 11 Conan picture frames, four sold for over $1000, while six of the 14 Fantastic Four issues also topped $1K.  Overall, of the 94 auction books, 17 went for four figures, with the Spotlight #5 cementing its position as the most valuable of the picture frame Marvel genre.

Once again, the auction results serve as a reminder of how wildly imprecise the CGC Registry is in assigning point values to the picture frame Marvels, with the 94 books going for a whopping 80% more than their Registry points, led as usual by the scarce top census copies but aided and abetted by books with extra cinematic universe juice like Spotlight #5 and Submariner #50.

Thanks to everyone in the thread for indulging the frequent postings of scans from my now former collection, and special thanks to those of you who bid in this or the previous auctions.  All that's left for upcoming auction are the picture frame Westerns, the stray Marvel Spotlight #6 scheduled for October, and a small handful of slabbed undercopies - when the books have been slated for auction, I'll post it here to let interested parties know.

Ok, I think I’m real sad. Then again, after disappearing for over a year (2?), I probably have no right to feel anything. Anyway, I come back to Bob having sold off his pf’s. Wow.  I  am shocked every time someone I have watched collect for decades sells off.  Sounds like you did well. Congrats. 

Welcome back, and thanks for the kind words, Paul.  There's no reason to be sad on my behalf.  The time had come - I've reached a certain age that it makes sense to liquidate non-liquid valuables and unburden of things that take up a lot of space and are challenging to move.  Probably the most difficult thing to accept was not parting ways with the slabbed collection, but the thousands of Bronze and early Copper age books that I bought when they were new back in the day.  The good news is that the market for high grade slabbed picture frame Marvels is very strong, even through the world chaos and economic challenges of this year.

Edited by namisgr

On 11/3/2020 at 7:56 PM, namisgr said:

Well, look what popped up in the November ComicLink auction preview.  Top of the census, one of two copies, with the last sale in this grade recorded in GPA dating back to 2012.  This issue is one of my all-time favorite Bronze Age comics, with a great story line revolving around the Kree-Skrull war and 36 pages (EDIT: it's actually 34 pages) of awesome Neal Adams/Tom Palmer Avengers art.  This particular copy has beautiful cover colors and white pages, and although a bit of the squarebound spine shows from a bit of back to front miswrap, its pretty even from top to bottom.  I can only wish I'd ever owned it.  Sweet book!

00052842398000113705375003.jpg

$8,400 for the final hammer price.  That was much lower than I expected, and if I were still collecting high grade picture frames I'd have gone much higher than that.

Edited by namisgr

10 hours ago, namisgr said:

$8,400 for the final hammer price.  That was much lower than I expected, and if I were still collecting high grade picture frames I'd have gone much higher than that.

I am surprised as well. I thought 10-15k easy

33 minutes ago, djpinkpanther67 said:

I am surprised as well. I thought 10-15k easy

It's a beautiful book and I'd love to own it. 

Though if I'm going to drop thousands of dollars on a book, I want to be very happy with its centering so I'm not ever tempted to buy another copy. Maybe other folks feel the same way?

That said, if it was a Millie the Model #197, all bets are off.