Infinite Marvel Picture Frame books
18 18

3,785 posts in this topic

Anybody know why Daredevil 86 is so low in census compared to other similar black PFs??? There's only 41 total. There are a few other black PFs. They aren't particularly important or noteworthy unless I'm mistaken? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MGsimba77 said:

Anybody know why Daredevil 86 is so low in census compared to other similar black PFs??? There's only 41 total. There are a few other black PFs. They aren't particularly important or noteworthy unless I'm mistaken? 

Beyond the black cover that you mentioned, I suspect it's just the Comic Book Gods messing with us grade conscious mortals.

Avengers #105 is another similarly tough hero book in the Picture Frame run. There are only 9 copies in 9.6 our better.

Edited by Ghost Town
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ghost Town said:

Beyond the black cover that you mentioned, I suspect it's just the Comic Book Gods messing with us grade conscious mortals.

Avengers #105 is another similarly tough hero book in the Picture Frame run. There are only 9 copies in 9.6 our better.

Its interesting because you have DD 89 which is almost identical to 86 in cover composition. There's 28 89s in 9.6 and up non qualified and ~76 total compared to 7 86s and 41 total. Go figure (shrug). It was a somewhat early Electro appearance so maybe that played into it? Doesn't explain #91 however. It implies the true high grade near mint census of 86 is quite higher than appears to be. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:
5 hours ago, Ghost Town said:

Beyond the black cover that you mentioned, I suspect it's just the Comic Book Gods messing with us grade conscious mortals.

Avengers #105 is another similarly tough hero book in the Picture Frame run. There are only 9 copies in 9.6 our better.

Its interesting because you have DD 89 which is almost identical to 86 in cover composition. There's 28 89s in 9.6 and up non qualified and ~76 total compared to 7 86s and 41 total. Go figure (shrug). It was a somewhat early Electro appearance so maybe that played into it? Doesn't explain #91 however. It implies the true high grade near mint census of 86 is quite higher than appears to be. 

It's definitely weird. But after 20 years of CGC, I think the census is a pretty good representation of what's out there. I'd guess there are more high grade copies of DD 86 somewhere in the world. But a lot more? I wouldn't take that bet. High grade copies are selling for some pretty respectable coin, so there's plenty of incentive to get the book graded. 

For example, a 9.6 copy sold for $1280 on ComicLink in 2018. And Bob's 9.4 sold for $411 in March 2020. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I forgot about that last page of Spidey #112. It's just so good.

And congrats on the DD #86. It looks really sweet. The seller is a great guy and one of the godfathers of this Picture Frame niche.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ghost Town said:

I forgot about that last page of Spidey #112. It's just so good.

And congrats on the DD #86. It looks really sweet. The seller is a great guy and one of the godfathers of this Picture Frame niche.

He's near Tampa so not far from where I am. The packaging was fantastic! Very safe. 

I think I saw the OA for that splash page on Clink or somewhere else being auctioned not too long ago. 

Edited by MGsimba77
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
18 18