• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SDCC 2010

425 posts in this topic

I would love to go, but $400 a night for a hotel? That's expensive.

Jim,

I found a place a mile and a half from the convention center for $55.00/night. It was a host house with people living in it, and the people living there were very nice. So, if you don;t mind those sort of accommodations, you can easily find a place.

I just hopped a cab each day to the show - cheaper than parking and a rental. It worked out really well.

I believe I saw a banner at the show stating the dates are July 22nd to 25th, which would make Preview Night July 21st. I did not see the "Buy your tickets for next year" booth on the ground level, I bet they moved it upstairs. I swore I'd buy extra badges already, so I gotta keep checking the site until they post it on there.

Joel

Those dates are correct. I already have my hotel booked for $168 a night. :banana:

Paid $265/night for my triple room at the Hyatt. Split it 4 ways: me and wife paid 50%, brother paid 25%, and friend paid 25%. Wasn't bad. Reserved it through Comic-Con's website about 2 weeks prior. Had the Hyatt at their rate of $450/night until then.

i stayed 4 blocks from the convention center at the bristol for only $135 a night.

I was a bit farther afoot. About 7 blocks from the con at 500 West hotel. An old YMCA building converted into a hotel. Far from fancy but only $100 per night with free internet and a great restaurant downstairs that served killer breakfast.

I was a bit farther afoot. About 7 blocks from the con at 500 West hotel. An old YMCA building converted into a hotel. Far from fancy but only $100 per night with free internet and a great restaurant downstairs that served killer breakfast.

I think you lucked out with the weather (70 - 75 degrees at night). 500W doesn't have air conditioning so it has traditionally scared off most attendees.

Glad it worked out in your favor though.

Let's face it, it beats sleeping out on the street or on a hotel room floor. One night, I saw about 10 - 15 persons sleeping on a side street off 5th. I thought they were part of the group lining up to see the stars of Twilight. They weren't. They were just random attendees that didn't have a place to stay. It started off as 2 persons and slowly built up as they felt safer in a group.

I'm not sure if I ever want to attend a show that badly.

Cheers!

N

i stayed 4 blocks from the convention center at the bristol for only $135 a night.

What hotel? How long did it take you to get to the con from there?

the hotel i stayed at is called "the bristol." it was 4-5 blocks from the convention center, and had a shuttle running certain times. $135 for Sunday night. $22 for all day/night parking. the room was very nice, very clean. elevator was clean. our view was a wall, but we weren't in san diego for a hotel room view.

Vacation Rental by Owner. A great website for houses and other accommodations. You get some boardies together, rent a house, split it up, stock some groceries and you've got it made. (thumbs u

Cabs are cheap and pretty efficient. Public transport can work too if you're near a trolley line, otherwise you wind up having to take the bus to a trolley and then a trolley to the convention center.

This convention can be done on a budget, no problem.

I think you lucked out with the weather (70 - 75 degrees at night). 500W doesn't have air conditioning so it has traditionally scared off most attendees.

Glad it worked out in your favor though.

Let's face it, it beats sleeping out on the street or on a hotel room floor. One night, I saw about 10 - 15 persons sleeping on a side street off 5th. I thought they were part of the group lining up to see the stars of Twilight. They weren't. They were just random attendees that didn't have a place to stay. It started off as 2 persons and slowly built up as they felt safer in a group.

I'm not sure if I ever want to attend a show that badly.

Cheers!

N

No air conditioning was my biggest concern. It was fairly hot but my room had a large window that helped keep me cool.