• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,840 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, rsouxlja7 said:

Here are the some of the highlights from the collection I picked up yesterday. IM55 is high grade, hoping for at least an 8.5. 

Full run of Iron Man 1 through around 200, run of ASM from around 160 through 299 (yeah...), Uncanny X-Men from 130ish to 230ish. Lots of silver age Fantastic Four, Tales of Suspense, and other Marvel books but unfortunately around half of them have tape on the cover. I am going to sell around 5 longboxes in bulk and keep 5 longboxes of stuff that I think I can sell for at least $3/book so it should turn out very well. It is just a pain in the to bag and board all of these books because of the way the owner took care of them. 

so you can afford to give me the TMNT 1 for a cover price?

2 hours ago, ProcessedMeatMan said:

Yeah. It's possible they weren't there to begin with. I got there early and was the 2nd or 3rd person to start digging. Looking through was intense... I'd find a run of Star Wars, 3-4 copies each of damn near ever issue from #4 to #107... all the 42s are gone. Same thing with Spectacular Spider-man (all the 64s gone), ASM... all the 265s gone. It was nerve wracking! But I love it

Not for nothing, but at two bucks each, why not just take everything? You really can't lose and you won't miss anything.

On 12/15/2017 at 12:24 PM, spreads said:

Two years ago I helped a friend sort through 20k independent books; he asked for my help since I know a lot more about indy books than him.  The take-away was it ended-up being a colossal waste of time, and I'm pretty sure he still has the bulk of them left.  He admitted to me later on that it was a mistake and he wouldn't have bought the lot (even though it probably only cost him 1-2k).  

I don't mind buying a collection of indys if it was a collection, that's where you see more obscure (horror) or popular stuff (dawn, caliber comics, dark horse, quality vertigo, popular chaos comics, gore, rare indys from the 80s, etc.) that you can sell, but an old store stock or former dealer makes me think they weren't able to move it.  I hope that's not the case for you, but man going through 20k books and not even seeing more than a few hundred that had any kind of demand was super devastating.  I just bought a small collection the other day that had a bunch of Indy garbage: Now Comics, First Comics, Eternity Comics, stuff like beauty and the beast - straight to the recycling bin!  lol 

I'm curious why you wouldn't want Valiants?  With that collection of 20k comics, the only saving grace was early and late issues Valiants.  At 10 cents each, assuming the Valiants aren't all Turok 1s or Rai 9s, good runs of any of those titles (even the commons) and especially later issues are books that you can actually move (granted it might be at 50 cents or 1 each) but people do want them.

It's work, but it's fun work (to me), and at less than 9 cents a book, I'll do fine. I bought a collection about half this size from the same guy back in the spring, and it did very well for me, and I've bought smaller collections of similar stuff since then. What I've gone through so far appears to be made up of the same sort of stuff. I've pulled a handful of $15-$20 books so far, and many, many $5 books. I realize that a lot of the sellers around here wouldn't bother with $5 books, but when your cost is 9 cents a book, $5 is a great return on investment. A couple of boxes of the better stuff will pay for the rest, which I can sell on CL for $20-$25 a box to readers/collectors (you might be surprised how fast you can sell a longbox of total garbage to CL people who think they're gonna get rich, or just want some junk to sell at the flea market) and dump the rest at HPB. I won't be sitting on these for long.  As for the time spent, it's not a huge amount of extra time for me. I can sort/ bag/scan comics on my "off" nights while I catch up on tv shows (makes me feel more productive about wasting time watching tv. At least my hands are busy!),  I can list books during dead time at work, etc. And like I said, it's the kind of work I enjoy.

As for Valiants, the problem for me is that with a few exceptions, I just cant move them. True, there is always a market for pre-Unity stuff, and for the very late issues and some of the Acclaim stuff, but by and large, when dealing in bulk like this, allowing Valiant in the deal is an open invitation to come home with 200 copies of Dr. Mirage. Not worth the roll of the dice for me personally.

On 12/15/2017 at 12:10 AM, jsilverjanet said:

a long box of "adults" can only yield something special

True! Although it's nothing to really write home about, I've already pulled some nice stuff like first appearance of Razor, early Allreds (Graphique Musique AND Grafik Musik), several Eros books which are easy sells at $5-$10 each, etc. The two boxes of adult books will probably pay for everything else.

Went into this antique store here in town cuz I've found some cool weird old stuff in there for previous Christmas's.  This year I saw and bought this.....    one buck !!  $1.00

Complete, but ouch that cover  

c5a3d954a638d9_turok2antiqueshop.thumb.jpg.4ea05f5fac655f88d3b121e92b31eba2.jpg

2 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

you got those books for a dollar each?

Yup, these last few years at the flea markets have been amazing.  The local holiday sales were great too as I got a long box of low grade silver for a dollar each. I'll get more pics up soon. This thread actually inspired me to go hunting years back when you all started it and almost every week since has been a score. I'm just too busy with work to post. (The ASMs and Titans 2 were from the LCS but everything else was a buck or 2.  

new books.jpg